$100 vs. $250 Audio Interface Comparison

minervx

Focusrite Solo 2nd gen and Audient ID14 are two very commonly recommended interfaces in their respective price ranges, and I've owned both of them, so I figure I'd compare them.

I think the sonic differences (in terms of recording and listening quality) between them are slight.  I find the ID14 to be refined overall, though this might be well in range of the placebo effect.  If you're looking for substantially better recordings, I don't think the iD14 will really solve it.  I feel like clean power, recording technique, mixing and overall broadcasting/musicianship are far more important.

However, iD14 offers a lot of features in many respects which truly make it a better choice for those who care deeply about audio.  Ability to fully control the interface through software.  Ability to adjust the volume of the speakers and headphones separately through the interface itself (which the Focusrite does not offer, even though there are many moments I want headphone volume but not speaker volume at the same time).  Unlike Focusrite, XLR ports are in the back (less clutter).  Balanced TRS ports instead of RCA ports for speakers.  A louder preamp overall.  More visual indicators with lights of the volume. 

My overall point is that the benefits of Audient's are mostly a lot of QOL.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

A proper reply:

Having used at varying times a Solo and a 6i6, I feels it is also important to mention that there really are (or at least were) issues with drivers for the scarlett range. Probably more so on windows than mac. However, I do prefer the format of the scarlett range over the audient ID14, and they do sound really good. Personally I feel having controls only on the front panel make it more usable in a busy environment and I would also think the scarlett has slightly better build quality.

Worth noting that for the price of the ID14 you'd be looking up to the 2i4 or 6i6, which both have separate monitor and headphone control and the 6i6 balanced outputs, and so have more flexibility. And for the price of a solo you should be looking at the Presonus Audiobox, who also have something in the higher price band (Studio 26).

The solo is designed to be the "My First Audio Interface", not the be all and end all of cheap interfaces.

24 minutes ago, minervx said:

I feel like clean power, recording technique, mixing and overall broadcasting/musicianship are far more important.

I do agree with this. Hardware can only ever be the interface and not the source of talent. In the range of decent interfaces there's not that much worth fighting over.