New gaming cpu

Hello,

I am looking for a gaming CPU to run with a water-cooled RTX 2080 Ti including a new motherboard of course. I have been looking at the Ryzen 2 2700X and the Intel Core i7 8700k as well as the 9700k. For the 9700K Intel removed HT, is this a big deal?

Motherboard-wise I want to stick with Asus and go with something like a ROG Strix or a ROG Maximus (Crosshair). Which one would you recommand? The Maximus Hero has a price difference of 70€ for the AMD and a bit more than 100€ for the Intel one compared to the Strix. Is it worth the extra money?

Greetings

Edited by Marziin111
Edited motherboard name

I'd go for the 8700K.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

If you are gonna go intel, I would definitely get the 8700k. As for the motherboard, the strix is fine, the maxiumus is more of a enthusiast type board

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Do the motherboards have comparable overclocking possibilities?

8700k is best cause there is no need to go to the 9900k or 9700k its good or you can also go with the 7800x with a x299 mobo

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

mσthєrвσαrd     αsrσck z370 kíllєr slí/αc

???     ??????? ????????? ??? ???? ?????? ???    

???? ??????? ??? ???? ?? ?????? ???

????     ???????? ??????? ?????

???????  ?? ????? ??? ??? ??? ?.? ?????? ????????? ???

PSU     Rosewill CAPSTONE 550M

D҉i҉s҉p҉l҉a҉y҉(s҉)     B҉e҉n҉Q҉ V҉A҉ L҉E҉D҉ E҉y҉e҉-c҉a҉r҉e҉ M҉o҉n҉i҉t҉o҉r҉ 2҉2҉ I҉n҉c҉h҉

ᶜᴼᴼᴸᴵᴺᴳ     ᶜᴼᴼᴸᴱᴿ ᴹᴬˢᵀᴱᴿ ᴹᴬˢᵀᴱᴿᴸᴵᵟᵁᴵᴰ ᴸᴵᵀᴱ 120 ᴬᴵᴼ

κεψß⊕αrd     gεηεrïς uηηαmεd ςhεrrψ mx ßレuε ƒακε mεςhαηïςαレ κεψß⊕αrd

MƠƲƧЄ     ƦƛȤЄƦ ƇӇƦƠMƛ ƊЄƛƬӇƛƊƊЄƦ ЄԼƖƬЄ 2017

ѕoυɴd     eѕтoɴe вeѕт coмpυтer ɢαмιɴɢ нeαdѕeт нeαdвαɴd wιтн мιcropнoɴe мιc хιвerια v10 нeαvy вαѕѕ ѕтereo ɢαмe нeαdpнoɴe wιтн lιɢнт ғor pc ɢαмer

ФPΞЯДΓIИG SУSΓΞM     ЩIИDФЩS 10 БЯФ

1 minute ago, Marziin111 said:

if you want to overclock i think evga motherboards are best for it

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

D҉i҉s҉p҉l҉a҉y҉(s҉)     B҉e҉n҉Q҉ V҉A҉ L҉E҉D҉ E҉y҉e҉-c҉a҉r҉e҉ M҉o҉n҉i҉t҉o҉r҉ 2҉2҉ I҉n҉c҉h҉

ѕoυɴd     eѕтoɴe вeѕт coмpυтer ɢαмιɴɢ нeαdѕeт нeαdвαɴd wιтн мιcropнoɴe мιc хιвerια v10 нeαvy вαѕѕ ѕтereo ɢαмe нeαdpнoɴe wιтн lιɢнт ғor pc ɢαмer

2 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

Yes, obviously the maximus can handle more but for a 9700k or an 8700k, the strix is fine. The maximus is more for the 9900k or people who like to do crazy overclocks 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

1 minute ago, Yous3f_M said:

Not really lol, more like Asus, asrock, and msi in that order, but it all depends on the board model, not the brand

3 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

if you want to go with an 8700k and a evga motherboard this one is the best 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qPXnTW/evga-z370-classified-k-atx-lga1151-motherboard-134-ks-e379-kr

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

2 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Not really lol, more like Asus, asrock, and msi in that order, but it all depends on the board model, not the brand

i say that cause the vrms have huge heatskinks in there motherboards so i think they are meant for overclocking

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

Ok. The i7 8700k has 16 PCIe lanes. If I go with a WiFi board I will loose 4 lanes due to the WiFi model (which also blocks one m2 slot) and 4 for a m2 SSD? So I only got 8 left for GPU?

3 minutes ago, Yous3f_M said:

That's subjective really.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, Yous3f_M said:

i say that cause the vrms have huge heatskinks 

it can have huge heat sinks but if the rest of the vrms are shite, such as the capacitors and chokes, it doesnt make it good  

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's subjective really.

thats not on subjectivity that im saying that evga boards are better the vrms on most of the evga boards are huge so i thought they are meant for overclocking  

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

Just now, Yous3f_M said:

thats not on subjectivity that im saying that evga boards are better the vrms on most of the evga boards are huge so i thought they are meant for overclocking  

That's your opinion though. 

زندگی از چراغ

4 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

it can have huge heat sinks but if the rest of the vrms are shite, such as the capacitors and chokes, it doesnt make it good  

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/902875-best-z370-board-for-oc/

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's your opinion though. 

take a look at this thread do u think that there is subjectivity in this thread

₵₱Ʉ     ł5 8600₭

Just now, Yous3f_M said:

what is this, the heatsinks arent the only thing that matter for ocing. If the capacitors suck, then the heatsinks are pointless. It is the whole vrm that does the job, not just one part of it 

Just now, Yous3f_M said:

take a look at this do u think that there is subjectivity in this 

An opinion is an opinion, you cannot force an opinion.

زندگی از چراغ

9 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

Ok. The i7 8700k has 16 PCIe lanes. If I go with a WiFi board I will loose 4 lanes due to the WiFi model (which also blocks one m2 slot) and 4 for a m2 SSD? So I only got 8 left for GPU?

That's not really how it works. The mobos have multiple pcie express slots, so whatever takes up each slot, takes up the bandwidth of that slot. So, most motherboards will have 1 slot with a bandwidth of 16, 2 with 8 maybe, and a few other smaller ones. So, the gpu usually goes in the one with 16, then your wifi card would go in one of the smaller slots. The cpu is irrelevant in that 

14 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1229-anatomy-of-a-motherboard-what-is-a-vrm-mosfet?showall=1

You can read this article if you want. It's a little old, but it is still relevant, it helped me learn the basics of motherboards

24 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

I found this on the Intel site, that is why I was wondering:

Hm, interesting, can you send me da link?

14 minutes ago, Marziin111 said:

Oh, yea, no that is pretty irrelevant, as it is in the processor graphics section, which, if you are using a gpu, is pointless