Apple

Timeflies

Hey guys I think this should be interesting. 

Thanks or the A2A.

I'll tell you a story. About 16 or 17 years ago, before Mac OS X was released, I had a customer who brought me his Mac because it stopped booting up. The first time it happened I hooked up an external drive and booted from that. I couldn't find the problem, so I reinstalled the system and everything worked fine.

He brings it back to me in a week or so. Same problem. I am starting to suspect something is amiss and I ask him if he did anything — if he added anything or deleted anything, etc. He says "no." As TV's Dr. House says, "everybody lies." So I reinstall the system again and send him on his way.

A few days later, same thing again. This time I reinstall the system and hide the system folder. This was back in the day when there was an actual folder named "System" that had all the special stuff that made the computer run. I give the computer back and the next day he calls and says "what did you do with my system folder, I can't find it." I said "I hid it, why?" He says "because I modify it." I say, "I thought you said you didn't delete or add anything?" He says, "well, not to the computer, just to the System folder. I've been taking out stuff I don't think I need."

People who use computers come in three flavors:

Those who do little or no customization or modification to the way their device works;

Those who tinker and know what they are doing (or think they do);

Those who tinker and do not know what they are doing.

This is why so many Windows machines are a mess: because people who do not know what they are doing tinker with them.

And that is why iOS (and OS X, for that matter) are so restricted.

Edited by SansVarnic
Placed video in Spoiler....

8 hours ago, Timeflies said:

< Snipping saves electrons >

Thats how humans learn through our mistakes so what is your point here. That we shouldn't learn through mistakes but rather spend hrs learning how to do something exactly every time ya thats gonna work great ain't it.

Edited by SansVarnic
Snipped Quote

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Imho very few windows machines are a mess, and I think that it is nice that windows makes it easy for people to change things, although, if you open up and change certain things, windows will warn you, its better then just blocking you. I think that apple is more of a mess then windows is, even from the start, windows has always, imo, been a lot more put together.

4 hours ago, Master Dorphath said:

Imho very few windows machines are a mess, and I think that it is nice that windows makes it easy for people to change things, although, if you open up and change certain things, windows will warn you, its better then just blocking you. I think that apple is more of a mess then windows is, even from the start, windows has always, imo, been a lot more put together.

?

Just so you are aware you tagged a banned account and not the real Linus.

His tag can be found under the staff list.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Can we even mess with the System/Windows folder on Windows anymore? Microsoft restricted it to all hell with Windows 10, even Program Files is somewhat protected now. So I kind of doubt this;

This is why so many Windows machines are a mess: because people who do not know what they are doing tinker with them.

They are a mess because people are morons and download/open crap they found on facebook.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

-= Locked =-

We have a thread for funny pc stories already.

You can post in there these type posts.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER