First PC build

b2c0nb0y25

I am looking to build a PC for 3d modeling and light animation, gaming, and streaming (possibly). I am looking at about $1500 and would like to play at 1080p 144hz. Also, I would prefer matx and I have a mouse and headset (Razer and Logitech respectively) but no keyboard or monitor. I don't exactly know  if this is possible with my budget, but Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

What cad are you using? 

Does it utilise Cuda acceleration? 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

$1500 USD? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, YaBoiWill said:

What cad are you using? 

Does it utilise Cuda acceleration? 

Autodesk Maya, and I do not know.

6 minutes ago, b2c0nb0y25 said:

I am looking to build a PC for 3d modeling and light animation, gaming, and streaming (possibly). I am looking at about $1500 and would like to play at 1080p 144hz. I don't exactly know  if this is possible with my budget, but Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Also, I would prefer matx and I have a mouse and headset (Razer and Logitech respectively) but no keyboard or monitor.

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

$1500 USD? 

Yes, but that is a soft budget, I could go as high as $1750

I realized your price point is basically perfect for my PC, so I copied that. I chose an 8700k instead of 8086k since it's more cost effective, and went with 32GB of ram for modelling, but if you think you need only 16GB you can get half to lower the budget. The case is also subjective, I thought it looked cool but it's up to you.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I realized your price point is basically perfect for my PC, so I copied that. I chose an 8700k instead of 8086k since it's more cost effective, and went with 32GB of ram for modelling, but if you think you need only 16GB you can get half to lower the budget. The case is also subjective, I thought it looked cool but it's up to you.

Thank you, my one possible issue is that I don't have a keyboard or monitor, but I will be a little while before I have the budget anyway, so a bit more saving won't hurt.

Just now, b2c0nb0y25 said:

Thank you, my one possible issue is that I don't have a keyboard or monitor, but I will be a little while before I have the budget anyway, so a bit more saving won't hurt.

If that's the case you can save on the immediate expense by getting half the ram and no hard drive, then buy those later. You can user that money for peripherals instead. (also since you're not doing photo or video editing you can go a little cheap on the display.)

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If that's the case you can save on the immediate expense by getting half the ram and no hard drive, then buy those later. You can user that money for peripherals instead. (also since you're not doing photo or video editing you can go a little cheap on the display.)

I do have a hdd in my laptop, but I'm not sure if it will work in a desktop, and you make a good point about the ram. Thank you so much!

1 minute ago, b2c0nb0y25 said:

I do have a hdd in my laptop, but I'm not sure if it will work in a desktop, and you make a good point about the ram. Thank you so much!

Yeah it'll work. The SATA connector is a standard.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah it'll work. The SATA connector is a standard.

Ok, great!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($308.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - H370M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB DUKE Video Card  ($354.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H400 (White) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($83.86 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($308.88 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.41 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1622.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-15 12:16 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I was looking at an AMD system, partly because it's cheaper (generally) would there be any draw backs by going with a ryzen 7?

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($308.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($21.34 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - H370M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($116.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB DUKE Video Card  ($354.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H400 (White) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($83.86 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: LG - 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($308.88 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Gigabyte - FORCE K83 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.41 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1622.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-15 12:16 EST-0500

It's pretty good for the non-overclocking route, but 3D software loves ram, so faster DDR4 should be a priority.

Primary PC:

Just now, b2c0nb0y25 said:

I was looking at an AMD system, partly because it's cheaper (generally) would there be any draw backs by going with a ryzen 7?

No huge drawbacks really, you could get an 8 core CPU and save some cash. It's slower in gaming but for productivity tasks it's usually superior.

It's a great system for modelling.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

No huge drawbacks really, you could get an 8 core CPU and save some cash. It's slower in gaming but for productivity tasks it's usually superior.

It's a great system for modelling.

How much slower would it be? Would it still be able to support 144hz?

since your not ocing and are mostly doing productivity i would instead recommend a ryzen 8 core cpu and no aio this will save a few hundred dollars

with the saved money i was able to 

• upgrade the gpu to a 1070ti
  • upgrade the hdd to 4tb since you said you might be streaming
  • include a monitor(144hz) and mechanical keyboard

1 minute ago, Happycowdance said:

since your not ocing and are mostly doing productivity i would instead recommend a ryzen 8 core cpu and no aio this will save a few hundred dollars

with the saved money i was able to 

• upgrade the gpu to a 1070ti
  • upgrade the hdd to 4tb since you said you might be streaming
  • include a monitor(144hz) and mechanical keyboard

Thank you, this looks like what I want!