Researchers publish 5 new Spectre branches & 2 new Meltdown variants and demonstrate Meltdown running on Ryzen for the first time

Master Disaster
2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm not surprised. they and their fanboys were all like yes we're not vunerable. buy our cpu's. 

The question isn't about whether or not their chips are vulnerable (they were already considered vulnerable to the original spectre iirc) but whether or not the patch involves performance penalties. It does on Intel, so far it hasn't on AMD.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just last night I disabled the Windows enabled protections on my game system while I was diagnosing a performance problem. It didn't make a noticeable difference BTW so root cause is elsewhere.

I'm not surprised there will be more things discovered over time, but it remains a balance of risk vs cost.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Damn they're finding these every npw and then. 7nm Ryzen is said to have some hardware mitigations. But how they're finding these all the time, when will we have a CPU with complete hardware mitigations though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

The question isn't about whether or not their chips are vulnerable (they were already considered vulnerable to the original spectre iirc) but whether or not the patch involves performance penalties. It does on Intel, so far it hasn't on AMD.

oh okay. and they weren't vulnerable for meltdown right?

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh okay. and they weren't vulnerable for meltdown right?

Not the first variant, at least. Then again the names for these things are pretty confusing, there are a dozen or so meltdown variants with varying degrees of risk - this particular variant seems to require some sort of payload in an existing application that the user chose to run, so it's not as big of a deal as the original exploit which could pwn you through javascript on a random webpage without you ever knowing it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Not the first variant, at least. Then again the names for these things are pretty confusing, there are a dozen or so meltdown variants with varying degrees of risk - this particular variant seems to require some sort of payload in an existing application that the user chose to run, so it's not as big of a deal as the original exploit which could pwn you through javascript on a random webpage without you ever knowing it.

through javascript!!!!???  ?????

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

through javascript!!!!???  ?????

Yeah... it was bad.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*