Anything I need to install before switching to Ryzen?

Go to solution Solved by JoostinOnline,

If you're using Windows, make sure you have a Microsoft account first. You may have to reactivate Windows by signing in.

If I'm gonna switch to Ryzen from an Intel CPU, do I need to install anything Ryzen specific before hand on my hard drive?

no

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

If you're using Windows, make sure you have a Microsoft account first. You may have to reactivate Windows by signing in.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

If I'm gonna switch to Ryzen from an Intel CPU, do I need to install anything Ryzen specific before hand on my hard drive?

I assume you are talking about not formatting/reinstalling windows, using the same HDD as you had before. Often you can do this, just make sure you install your motherboard drivers before the swap or youll likely end up in a boot loop.

EDIT: I would still recommend every time when using new core components to just start with a new Windows install, as it could possibly save you from tons of headache in the future.

1 minute ago, y0y0ninja said:

I assume you are talking about not formatting/reinstalling windows, using the same HDD as you had before. Often you can do this, just make sure you install your motherboard drivers before the swap or youll likely end up in a boot loop.

Ahh ok, thanks. That's what I was talking about. On a side note, if I already have a stick of DDR4 ram and I source the same exact model with the same timing and size, can those work in dual channel? Is CL18 fine for Ryzen?

3 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

Ahh ok, thanks. That's what I was talking about. On a side note, if I already have a stick of DDR4 ram and I source the same exact model with the same timing and size, can those work in dual channel? Is CL18 fine for Ryzen?

I edited my post that you replied to in case you missed it:

7 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

EDIT: I would still recommend every time when using new core components to just start with a new Windows install, as it could possibly save you from tons of headache in the future.

As far as your ram goes, yes. Usually you don't even have to have the same, but being the same model modules you're set. What speed is that CL18 memory running at?

Just now, y0y0ninja said:

I edited my post that you replied to in case you missed it:

As far as your ram goes, yes. Usually you don't even have to have the same, but being the same model modules you're set. What speed is that CL18 memory running at?

3200mhz. Also, what kind of headaches can a new Windows install save me from? I have a lot of data on there, app data, videos, and stuff like that.

3200mhz at CL18 arent very good numbers, but you should still be running fine, especially if gaming is your main concern.

as far as the Windows install goes, do you have another hard drive? If you dont have an SSD this is a great time to install one to use for your OS! Personally I have 4 drives in my PC, two SSDs (one for OS, one for games), and two HDDs for data. if i ever need to reinstall Windows, none of my data is touched because it is on another drive. I dont even need to redownload games because my game library is on it's own ssd.

EDIT (once again because I forgot to answer your main question): Sometimes after changing the core components Windows can act VERY strange, seemingly random crashes, BSODs... But I have also seen it run perfectly fine. If possible, Just go with a clean OS now.

3 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

3200mhz at CL18 arent very good numbers, but you should still be running fine, especially if gaming is your main concern.

as far as the Windows install goes, do you have another hard drive? If you dont have an SSD this is a great time to install one to use for your OS! Personally I have 4 drives in my PC, two SSDs (one for OS, one for games), and two HDDs for data. if i ever need to reinstall Windows, none of my data is touched because it is on another drive. I dont even need to redownload games because my game library is on it's own ssd.

I have one 2TB WD Black HDD. Also, how far can I overclock the timing on ram?

Just now, WhatComesAround said:

I have one 2TB WD Black HDD. Also, how far can I overclock the timing on ram?

Definitely invest in an SSD, not only will it fix this conundrum, but itll also make the new system feel SO snappy (you can grab a 240gb for around 50 bucks USD) 

youll have to test and find out yourself with the OC, if youre gonna jump into it, isnt the end result the most exciting part anyways?

15 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

Definitely invest in an SSD, not only will it fix this conundrum, but itll also make the new system feel SO snappy (you can grab a 240gb for around 50 bucks USD) 

youll have to test and find out yourself with the OC, if youre gonna jump into it, isnt the end result the most exciting part anyways?

I'm kinda broke rn, so can't get an SSD, doesn't help that I'm in a country that I can't work in (legally *wink wink*).

4 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

I'm kinda broke rn, so can't get an SSD, doesn't help that I'm in a country that I can't work in (legally *wink wink*).

if you don't have a spare hard drive to back up to you have two options:

1: try to install the drivers for the ryzen chipset (and other motherboard drivers as well) then attempt to use it on the new system

2: in disk management (or partition manager of your choice, I have used paragon and partition wizard with success, both are free) shrink your HDD partition and create a new one with the now-unused space to reinstall your OS on. you can then run disk cleanup as an administrator and remove the old windows installation.

Personally I would do number 2 because it ensures everything will work properly, as well as keep your old data intact.

or you could actually just install over the existing partition (DO NOT FORMAT IT) and then run disk cleanup to remove the old install as well. you may end up with an OS selection prompt as well on boot doing it this way, but you can remove that from the "Boot" tab in msconfig

1 hour ago, y0y0ninja said:

if you don't have a spare hard drive to back up to you have two options:

1: try to install the drivers for the ryzen chipset (and other motherboard drivers as well) then attempt to use it on the new system

2: in disk management (or partition manager of your choice, I have used paragon and partition wizard with success, both are free) shrink your HDD partition and create a new one with the now-unused space to reinstall your OS on. you can then run disk cleanup as an administrator and remove the old windows installation.

Personally I would do number 2 because it ensures everything will work properly, as well as keep your old data intact.

But the data I am talking about is like, app data, video files in the video folder, I have stuff on my desktop and documents, won't all that need to be manually backed up?

2 hours ago, y0y0ninja said:

EDIT (once again because I forgot to answer your main question): Sometimes after changing the core components Windows can act VERY strange, seemingly random crashes, BSODs... But I have also seen it run perfectly fine. If possible, Just go with a clean OS now.

What kind of timing should I be looking for? Is 3200mhz CL16-18-18 @1.35V alright? I can still change it to that.