Subjective difference between solid-state & tube...

08:45 EST. No coffee. I had an epiphany. As I listen to Pinchas Zukerman (violinist) play with the Royal (UK) Philharmonic Orchestra, I can articulate how the Schiit Magni3 sounds different from the Schiit Vali2 (with their stock NOS tube). A 2016 Decca DDD-disc ripped to FLAC.

The Vali blends the music.

The Magni articulates the different instruments (So, THAT’S what is meant by a headphone or output device being ‘analytical’). The Vali might be easier to listen to over prolonged sessions; however, if I want to hear the actual finger work, I plug my cans into the Magni.

That's not really a subjective difference. That's a pretty tangible, objective difference.

Most modern solid state amplifiers are made with the express purpose of being transparent.

A lot of old tube equipment is made with the same purpose, but it's a lot harder to achieve, since vacuum tubes have inherent limits to the wattage range they can work with.

Even the Vali is pretty neutral in terms of tube amplifiers. Especially since the tube amplification on takes place on the pre-amp stage.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

-= Locked =-

Better posted as a status update.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER