Creative Library Storage and Backup Setup???

I'm looking for setup advice on home network storage. At the moment we run a Western Digital MyCloud 2TB and it's been nothing but problems since Windows 10 was released. I chose it because everyone can access it from their individual devices locally and it can be accessed remotely through the MyCloud web login. Unfortunately ever since Windows 10 was released the MyCloud rarely ever appears as a Computer device on Windows Explorer > My Network and if it does it doesn't connect. This means you have to use the WD software or the web login and download the files to then re-upload which is not convenient. I have contacted Western Digital support and they simply blamed Windows 10 and told me to get in contact with Microsoft. I always thought it was something to do with my Windows 10 Education license which has caused other issues but I get different issues and the same lack of success with the two Windows 10 Home licensed machines. The only machine in the house it runs flawlessly with through Windows Explorer is an old HP G5000 (G5056EA) laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit. I'm going to give another attempt of troubleshooting after I gave up early in the summer.

Ultimately I feel we need to improve backup options as they are flaky old HDDs or nothing and was wondering what assurance measures others can recommend putting into place in addition to any potential MyCloud replacements. We do a lot of photography and shoot in raw (NEF) with a lot of Photoshop files to accompany them. I have a lot of CAD files from when I was at University and from personal projects with a few video/ premiere pro/ indesign and illustrator files as well. Not really any budget at the moment as I'm not quite sure the scale of the project. It would be good if there was something like the MyCloud but where you can add and takeaway drives as inevitably we will fill the drives and need more but don't necessarily need them to be accessible all the time.

Essentially we need to refresh the way we store and backup our creative library with additional back stops.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home

the propper way would be to buy or build a NAS. you can access or change your data without the whole upload download thing.
buying a nas isnt the cheapest way but they have good power efficiency. If you want to go the cheap route get a old pc and install ether a NAS OS or a Windows and configure a file share (very simple)

9 hours ago, djboy6480 said:

the propper way would be to buy or build a NAS. you can access or change your data without the whole upload download thing.
buying a nas isnt the cheapest way but they have good power efficiency. If you want to go the cheap route get a old pc and install ether a NAS OS or a Windows and configure a file share (very simple)

What would be a competent component configuration for an old PC turned NAS system?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700k, ASUS Z170-PRO, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR4 (3200 MHz), ASUS 1070 DUAL OC, Corsair Spec-Alpha, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Corsair CX Series CX750M, LG 34UM88C-P, Corsair H100i v2, Corsair K55 RGB, Windows 10 Education

Desktop 2: Intel Core i7-4790k, Lenovo Sharkbay, Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB DDR3 (2133MHz), Gigabyte 1650 OC Low Profile, Lenovo M93 SFF, SanDisk Ultra II SSD (960GB), Silverstone TX700

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCEH1L8E, Intel Core i7-2720QM, Sony MBX-247 DA0HK1MB6E0 (REV:E), Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3L (2133 MHz), Western Digital Blue SSD (500GB), Panasonic E233037 (CPU Fan), Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home

Other Laptop: HP G7010EA, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, Crucial 5GB (4+1) DDR2 (667MHz), Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (500GB), Windows 10 Home