Program idea

napper_tapper

Hi all, 

I am going to pitch a program, its functions and what I expect from it and hopefully someone can tell me what kind of programming level someone would need to be to accomplish it. Hopefully it is nothing too complicated and something I could learn and create over the course of say 12 to 18 months. 

Essentially I want to take a list of all my companies part numbers and then our next biggest five competitors part numbers and put them into a database that essentially matches them equivalent part for equivalent part. The user interface of the program will simply be that the user types into a search box any of the five competitors part numbers and it provides my companies equivalent part number.

As part numbers can be complicated with spaces and different characters it would be nice if the search function returned "likely" competitor part numbers in the instance where a user has mistyped the part number or is mistaken (but close to correct) and can then click one of the suggested part numbers which would then follow back into generating my companies equivalent part number. 

It would be really nice if when my part number popped up it would also give a simple table showing some pertinent technical information (such as mechanical properties, chemical composition, etc) and maybe a jpg line drawing of the product with some basic dimensions along with a link that when pressed would open a webpage to the product page on our website. 

How complicated would this be to make? It wouldn't have to have a flashy UI, it simply has to be clean, simple and functional. 

Thanks in advance guys 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (X470)  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X  RAM: Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB 3733MHz
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD  PSU: Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
Monitor: Philips 65" OLED 4K UHD w/HDR  Headphones: Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4
Cooling: 6 x 120mm Corsair LL120  Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB
Mouse: Logitec MK270

start by downloadibg visual studio to code and design ui

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

So what your after is a cross reference database.

I have no idea about programming but these type of programs exist already so i reckon if you can find a guide or template you should be well on your way.

16 minutes ago, rmurph17 said:

Hi all, 

I am going to pitch a program, its functions and what I expect from it and hopefully someone can tell me what kind of programming level someone would need to be to accomplish it. Hopefully it is nothing too complicated and something I could learn and create over the course of say 12 to 18 months. 

Essentially I want to take a list of all my companies part numbers and then our next biggest five competitors part numbers and put them into a database that essentially matches them equivalent part for equivalent part. The user interface of the program will simply be that the user types into a search box any of the five competitors part numbers and it provides my companies equivalent part number.

As part numbers can be complicated with spaces and different characters it would be nice if the search function returned "likely" competitor part numbers in the instance where a user has mistyped the part number or is mistaken (but close to correct) and can then click one of the suggested part numbers which would then follow back into generating my companies equivalent part number. 

It would be really nice if when my part number popped up it would also give a simple table showing some pertinent technical information (such as mechanical properties, chemical composition, etc) and maybe a jpg line drawing of the product with some basic dimensions along with a link that when pressed would open a webpage to the product page on our website. 

How complicated would this be to make? It wouldn't have to have a flashy UI, it simply has to be clean, simple and functional. 

Thanks in advance guys 

Sounds like something you can easily do with a plain database.

14 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Sounds LIKE %something% you can easily do with a plain database.

Fixed.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´