New to Tech. Looking for New Laptop (easy question)

Hey there,

Recently discovered Linus Tech and his great, informative channel. I'm new to this world of computer language and parts with some basic knowledge of computer components but could use some help with purchasing a new laptop. If you know of a similar topic somewhere that would answer this, feel free to guide me in that direction.

I'm finally getting a new laptop and I have a budget of $500 to do so. My goals for this laptop with be some light gaming (light meaning playing online shooters a few times a month) and then the rest will be grad school use (so just Microsoft Office type of work). Nothing crazy as you can see.

Should I get a laptop that is at the higher-end of my budget and has an i7 processor with 8 gigs of ram and a decent graphics card and screen, or should I get a cheaper $200 laptop and buy the upgraded components to install manually (SSD, ram, graphics card, etc)?

Thanks guys!

Most laptops don't have user upgradable GPUs or CPUs, only the RAM and HDD can be swapped. And on most newer ones in that price range, they're horrible to take apart because they use plastic clips and screws, instead of just screws (IDK why but they just do), so if you don't have the right tools you'll snap them and your laptop will have a hard time holding itself together. Defo get the best specs you can off the bat on a laptop. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, David Morley said:

Hey there,

Recently discovered Linus Tech and his great, informative channel. I'm new to this world of computer language and parts with some basic knowledge of computer components but could use some help with purchasing a new laptop. If you know of a similar topic somewhere that would answer this, feel free to guide me in that direction.

I'm finally getting a new laptop and I have a budget of $500 to do so. My goals for this laptop with be some light gaming (light meaning playing online shooters a few times a month) and then the rest will be grad school use (so just Microsoft Office type of work). Nothing crazy as you can see.

Should I get a laptop that is at the higher-end of my budget and has an i7 processor with 8 gigs of ram and a decent graphics card and screen, or should I get a cheaper $200 laptop and buy the upgraded components to install manually (SSD, ram, graphics card, etc)?

Thanks guys!

You can't just slot in a gpu in most laptops. Those things can only be done in desktops. Ram is also a problem in some laptops, cpu can't be swapped out, ssd is fine on most pc's, but for this budget you can get maybe a i5 with a mx150 (aka gt 1030). 

If you want a laptop, go check out Dave2D's channel. He covers many different laptops at various price points, and his reviews are pretty informative and well thought out.

5 minutes ago, David Morley said:

At this budget, it doesn't really make sense to buy a new laptop. Look for good deals on the used market with a good CPU/GPU, and upgrade the RAM and storage in the future if needed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I would save up a little more and get a budget gaming laptop

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Helpful information. Thanks guys. It would need to be a laptop only because I will be needing to take this to campus for grad school work. 

10 hours ago, David Morley said:

budget of $500

Might want to go used, something with a decent GPU like 960M

Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128