Unable to Reinstall windows through UEFI SDHc card

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

I have no idea what you're trying to do with rufus and SD cards, but this is the correct way to do things:

1) download the official tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

2) run the tool to put windows on a USB drive (not an sd card)

3) install windows on the laptop https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

So, this is a little of a long story. 5 months ago I decided to buy a new SSD, a Kingston A400 240GB SATA3 2.5"/7mm SSD,  for my notebook, an HP pavillion Sleekbook 15-105la. Everything went well with the instalation, except the fact that if I turn off the legacy boost mode, uefi doesn't work. Since then, I haven't been able to get any windows update installed correctly and the windows shop also doesn't work. Right now the ssd is installed as a mbr and I suppose I need to change it to gpt, so I tried to make a uefi usb-stick through rufus, with the help of this post https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support#uefi_media_rufus and a windows iso from microsoft media creation tool, into my 32gb storage Sd. The problem is, whenever I try to boost the pc through the usb, I get the message checking media [Fail]. I've made sure to deactivate secure boost and to press F9 to boost the installation through the usb. I tried to boost the pc through my old hard drive by connecting it through usb, but it instantly sends me to system diagnostic and tries to repair itself. Now, I want to abstain myself from opening my notebook and reinstalling the old hard drive, also, I don't care about the data in my ssd, if needed I will format it. Thanks for the help!

I have no idea what you're trying to do with rufus and SD cards, but this is the correct way to do things:

1) download the official tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

3) install windows on the laptop https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Alright, thank you, though I'm gonna try tommorrow, I need to buy a sd to usb adapter now to try this because I don't have any usb on hand.

8 minutes ago, fireihl said:

Alright, thank you, though I'm gonna try tommorrow, I need to buy a sd to usb adapter now to try this because I don't have any usb on hand.

Then just buy a USB at that point...

Why buy an adapter when you can buy a proper USB drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Then just buy a USB at that point...

Why buy an adapter when you can buy a proper USB drive.

Yeah, I could but it’s cheaper to buy the adapter, also it gives another use for my sd card as a usb. Also, are you sure it’s not possible to use a sd card as a boot deive? I’ve checked a few forums and with my limited search I’ve found no issue with it, still thanks for your time and help.

2 minutes ago, fireihl said:

Yeah, I could but it’s cheaper to buy the adapter, also it gives another use for my sd card as a usb. Also, are you sure it’s not possible to use a sd card as a boot deive? I’ve checked a few forums and with my limited search I’ve found no issue with it, still thanks for your time and help.

It technically should be possible but for installing an OS it just adds another point where things can go wrong, because you need an adapter and also because data corruption is more common on SD cards, which can completely screw up the OS if just one bit is flipped.

Why is it so difficult for you to buy a regular USB drive?

They literally only cost a few dollars.

Spoiler

On 11/12/2018 at 12:56 AM, Enderman said:

It technically should be possible but for installing an OS it just adds another point where things can go wrong, because you need an adapter and also because data corruption is more common on SD cards, which can completely screw up the OS if just one bit is flipped.

Why is it so difficult for you to buy a regular USB drive?

They literally only cost a few dollars.

Thank you very much, after placing windows media tool inside the usb, putting windows inside the usb drive and formatting the hard disk through diskpart and the clean command I finally managed to install windows in gpt. Now I can update my drivers and use windows store. I guess my computer just dind't recognize the sd card as a boot drive or something. Anyways, thanks for the help.