Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's getting there

Chubs
 Share

So,first of all im student who lives in the philippines, I currently have an Athlon ii x4 635 in my rig, im planning to upgrade my system little by little. is an i3 2120 better than my current CPU? I was suppose to look for a i5 2400 or 2500k but I dont have the money to get one as of now. All opinions will be truly appreciated. Thanks :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really worth burning the little money you have on a second gen i3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not really worth burning the little money you have on a second gen i3

but the thing is... its temporary. at my place I can easily trade or sell the processor when i have the money to buy an i5 2400 or 2500k.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a lot better than your Athlon X4. What's your budget?

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

It would be a lot better than your Athlon X4. What's your budget?

around a 100 dollars :/ thats why im wondering if it would be better for me to buy the i3. btw, i have a gtx 660 as my gpu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still you have to buy the motherboard and memory which is not compatible with your athlon ddr2 memories.

I say why don't you just build a new pc from the bottom.

Get the cheapest AM4 motherboard and a memory you can afford, then get the cheapest AM4 cpu like A6 or the new Athlon E200.

When you get more money you can Ryzen it up.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Still you have to buy the motherboard and memory which is not compatible with your athlon ddr2 memories.

I say why don't you just build a new pc from the bottom.

Get the cheapest AM4 motherboard and a memory you can afford, then get the cheapest AM4 cpu like A6 or the new Athlon E200.

When you get more money you can Ryzen it up.

okay, the reason why i went with the i3 2120 is because i can sell my board and cpu to add up to my budget, and my athlon x4 would surprise you because it runs on ddr3 thats why im only looking for a cpu mobo combo.

 

puns, ryzen it up. haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chubs said:

around a 100 dollars :/ thats why im wondering if it would be better for me to buy the i3. btw, i have a gtx 660 as my gpu. 

Can you get $50 from selling all your Athlon parts?

If yes then you have $150:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRpDKB
CPU: AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($52.88 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $141.86
 

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Can you get $50 from selling all your Athlon parts?

If yes then you have $150:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRpDKB
CPU: AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($52.88 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $141.86
 

probably, ill try to get 50 dollars for it. dont know if there are any stocks of athlon 200E here yet. but thanks for the help! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Can you get $50 from selling all your Athlon parts?

If yes then you have $150:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRpDKB
CPU: AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($52.88 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $141.86
 

no no no don't buy new when he has so little to begin with, that's why the used market exists and 3rd/4th gen intel cpus are the best in that market (but not what he should get)

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500 + Sennheiser hd598

Dac/Amp: Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

if not, wait for it, its a very good starting cpu for AM4 platform.

you will have a long lasting platform...

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

no no no don't buy new when he has so little to begin with, that's why the used market exists and 3rd/4th gen intel cpus are the best in that market (but not what he should get)

I'm sure there's some people selling first gen AM4 mobo and used ddr4 memories. that also can drop the price down.

Why buy used 4th gen motherboard when a new am4 is just $10 away.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I'm sure there's some people selling first gen AM4 mobo and used ddr4 memories. that also can drop the price down.

Why buy used 4th gen motherboard when a new am4 is just $10 away.

^^

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500 + Sennheiser hd598

Dac/Amp: Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×