Setting up my new PC

Axxel

Hello i just built my new PC. I don't know what to do after the windows setup. I have heard I should update drivers and the bios?

I wish I knew more to help but I am a noob. The reason I post is my friend helped me with mine and he had be go into the BIOS and set up the RAM a certain way for better performance. I would not just go tweaking randomly but if you can find more info on it I feel it is worth looking into.

1 minute ago, SocomSuade said:

I wish I knew more to help but I am a noob. The reason I post is my friend helped me with mine and he had be go into the BIOS and set up the RAM a certain way for better performance. I would not just go tweaking randomly but if you can find more info on it I feel it is worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip.

7 minutes ago, Axxel said:

Thanks for the really quick answer. Here is my mobo manufacturer's website's download section. What would you recommend me to download?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#Download

just update all the latest drivers and update the bios to the latest version. I'm sure you can find a youtube of vid for that specific mobo

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

if you have a CD-rom installed in your pc you can put the disk in it which came with the box

intel core i5 7500 | nividia gtx 1070ti | mobo: msi b250 PC mate | RAM: corsair vengence 8gb DDR4 2400mhz | SSD: samsung 850 evo 250gb | HHD: western digital 1TB 7200 rpm |CPU cooler: MSI core Frozr L | case: corsair spec 03 | 

2 minutes ago, AboveBrakes (ivan) said:

if you have a CD-rom installed in your pc you can put the disk in it which came with the box

nooooo, that disc is usually outdated. It is better to just download the latest off the wesbite

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

7 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

just update all the latest drivers and update the bios to the latest version. I'm sure you can find a youtube of vid for that specific mobo

Do I need to download the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA", if I download the AMD drivers from AMD's website? My mobo is actually a little unpopular due to the asrock pro4 at a little higher price point, so I couldn't find any help on updating the drivers from youtube, but I think i can manage to update the bios.

The only reason you would download drivers from AMD is if you had one of their GPUs, and I'm fairly certain all the drivers in "download" you would download. Sure, some are irrelevant and not needed, but you can download them anyway. 

12 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

The only reason you would download drivers from AMD is if you had one of their GPUs, and I'm fairly certain all the drivers in "download" you would download. Sure, some are irrelevant and not needed, but you can download them anyway. 

I do have an AMD GPU. xfx rx 580 gtr-s black edition. Do I download both or just from AMD's website 

(edit) Do I need the latest bios? It says on the manufacturer's website "We don't recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally" oops I forgot to mention that I will be using this PC for gaming.

30 minutes ago, Axxel said:

I do have an AMD GPU. xfx rx 580 gtr-s black edition. Do I download both or just from AMD's website 

(edit) Do I need the latest bios? It says on the manufacturer's website "We don't recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally" oops I forgot to mention that I will be using this PC for gaming.

Then I wouldn't, really just depends, and you download the motherboard drivers off Asrock's website and the gpu drivers off amd

Don't do anything to BIOS, not until you know more about things. Updating BIOS is sure way to kill mobo if you are new to PCs (firmware updates in general, I've bricked router doing that). If you want to learn more about what different things in BIOS do, look at some OC3D/Ruskit videos where he goes through some settings. Rest you can read from manual. Update is only nessessary when you have some issue which might be fixed, or need to upgrade to newer gen CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OK. So I still have a few questions. Do I download the all in 1 vga driver from my mobo's website or just the drivers from AMD's website or both. Do I first try testing without updated bios and if that works not update the bios at all. What firmware updates are needed and what are not (ssd, keyboard etc.)?

On 11/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, Axxel said:

OK. So I still have a few questions. Do I download the all in 1 vga driver from my mobo's website or just the drivers from AMD's website or both.

Just AMD. Mobo's driver is for iGPU, if you want to use that.

Do I first try testing without updated bios and if that works not update the bios at all.

Don't do anything with BIOS, and definitely don't update. Its advanced thing to do in first place. Come back when you have successful OC under your belt. Even AsRock says that they don't recommend it.

What firmware updates are needed and what are not (ssd, keyboard etc.)?

None. Not a one. Again, come back if something isn't working, and then we look if those could help. You can do more harm by trying to update as novice builder than leaving them alone.

Drivers are different. If you have fancy gaming keyboard or mouse, those may need drivers to enable all features.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Just AMD. Mobo's driver is for iGPU, if you want to use that.

Don't do anything with BIOS, and definitely don't update. Its advanced thing to do in first place. Come back when you have successful OC under your belt. Even AsRock says that they don't recommend it.

None. Not a one. Again, come back if something isn't working, and then we look if those could help. You can do more harm by trying to update as novice builder than leaving them alone.

Drivers are different. If you have fancy gaming keyboard or mouse, those may need drivers to enable all features.

Hello. Thanks for all the help. sry for replying so late. I can only access my pc on weekends right now. I still have a few questions. Do I enable xmp profile in the bios (i have 3200mhz ram, but without xmp its 2133 or 2134) and do I update any drivers in the device manager?

1 hour ago, Axxel said:

Hello. Thanks for all the help. sry for replying so late. I can only access my pc on weekends right now. I still have a few questions. Do I enable xmp profile in the bios (i have 3200mhz ram, but without xmp its 2133 or 2134) and do I update any drivers in the device manager?

XMP or whatever its called with AMD (XMP is Intel thing) is enabled in BIOS. It might be enabled by default, I'm not sure.

As for drivers, Win10 will install most. If you have any yellow triangles in Device Manager, then you need to install manually. Some driver installs, like for GPU, are better to do manually as Windows might not give latest.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

XMP or whatever its called with AMD (XMP is Intel thing) is enabled in BIOS. It might be enabled by default, I'm not sure.

As for drivers, Win10 will install most. If you have any yellow triangles in Device Manager, then you need to install manually. Some driver installs, like for GPU, are better to do manually as Windows might not give latest.

OK. So I update realtek lan and audio and AMD's drivers from their own website, I set xmp on if it's not already on, install all windows updates and I dont download any firmware updates. Correct?

27 minutes ago, Axxel said:

OK. So I update realtek lan and audio and AMD's drivers from their own website, I set xmp on if it's not already on, install all windows updates and I dont download any firmware updates. Correct?

Yeah. I would use motherboard's site for those drivers before looking for RealTek's site for example. Mobo provides drivers that are tested on their boards while RealTek gives generic for the chips. They should be same, but finding correct driver from RealTek's site is much harder.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/18/2018 at 2:40 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yeah. I would use motherboard's site for those drivers before looking for RealTek's site for example. Mobo provides drivers that are tested on their boards while RealTek gives generic for the chips. They should be same, but finding correct driver from RealTek's site is much harder.

Isn't the amd all in 1 with vga driver also at the same time the chipset driver too tho?

5 hours ago, Axxel said:

Isn't the amd all in 1 with vga driver also at the same time the chipset driver too tho?

My last AMD build is from 2005, so I can't say. If description says that installer includes all, then it does.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

My last AMD build is from 2005, so I can't say. If description says that installer includes all, then it does.

If it does include them, do I need them?

4 hours ago, Axxel said:

If it does include them, do I need them?

You need chipset. VGA is only if you plan to use iGPU. But you don't need to install them separed if you are using combined installer.

Overall you are overthinking this. You can't install wrong drivers. The installers detect hardware and previous version. So you can't install driver for something you don't have or for something with already newer version.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv