Synology AC2600 Router how do i change the MAC address?

NoisanceRitual

Hi.

Synology AC2600 Router how do i change the MAC address?

I was doing this on a linksys router just by "cloning" it and hitting save.

Now it seems there is more options on the synology admin and it says operation error when i click "ok".

I'm a network noob. I just need to change the mac address so that i get a new public ip.

Thanks for the help :)

image.png.483e6f8fe33a3439781294ccb6fc2162.png

Its going to be asked so I might as well be the one, why do you need a new IP address?

Its generally not a good idea to invent MAC addresses at random.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its going to be asked so I might as well be the one, why do you need a new IP address?

Its generally not a good idea to invent MAC addresses at random.

Sometimes i'm blocked from my server by my faulty noob ass i am and being able to change my public ip would make it quicker.

Do you still get the error if you put the REAL MAC address of the router in there?  That would at least isolate if its expecting more parameters to be put into those fields or doing some sort of lookup to see if the MAC address you put in is real or not.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do you still get the error if you put the REAL MAC address of the router in there?  That would at least isolate if its expecting more parameters to be put into those fields or doing some sort of lookup to see if the MAC address you put in is real or not.

Hitting the "clone" button clones the real one right? It writes automaticly 2c:4d:54:99:f2:67. 

I can see 2 other different mac address here in wifi status tab:

image.png.16877a7c92462259653bc4f14a90c0f7.png

Good question, I'd kinda think it would clone the MAC address of the PC you are connecting to it from, but then surely that would prevent that PC connecting to the router. :/

I've never had to use MAC address cloning so I should probably leave it here for someone more experienced to look into.  Was just trying to figure if its something obvious.

You could perhaps try changing the last digit so that its different and see if that saves.  It seems unlikely you'd have another device on the LAN with a MAC address that similar.   Its really dumb that its not giving you a verbose error message so you can see what it thinks you are doing wrong.

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Good question, I'd kinda think it would clone the MAC address of the PC you are connecting to it from, but then surely that would prevent that PC connecting to the router. :/

I've never had to use MAC address cloning so I should probably leave it here for someone more experienced to look into.  Was just trying to figure if its something obvious.

You could perhaps try changing the last digit so that its different and see if that saves.  It seems unlikely you'd have another device on the LAN with a MAC address that similar.   Its really dumb that its not giving you a verbose error message so you can see what it thinks you are doing wrong.

Yeah ok i understand, yes i tried to change just the last digit, same error.

Thanks for your time :)

I emailed synology about it, they want remote access into the router... What you think about that?