a10-5800k heat problem

so i was building my brother a computer and as i was putting it together he walked in and wanted to put the cpu/heatsink on, i said sure but if you mess up i aint paying for it and we finished, i installed windows, all the drivers, and microsoft security essentials, now its a week later and CPU-ID HWmoniter says that (while he is watching a stream on Twitch.tv) that his CPU is at 70 degrees celcius, so i tried cold booting it one morning while he was sleeping, i went into the bios, the temp started at around 25 degrees and climbed over a couple of minutes to 50 degrees, i underclocked his CPU to about 3ghz and now its at ~45 degrees, i was wondering if there was anything else i could do to keep it cold (we already have the side panel off blowing air into it

specs:

case: NZXT source 210

CPU: a10-5800k

CPU cooler: stock heatsink

mobo:fm2-a75ma-e35

storage: 500gb caviar blue

PSU: corsair CX 430

no extra fans were added, just the one exhaust

I'd get some good intakes going on that case. Looks like you can fit a couple of 120mm fans. Then get a decent aftermarket cooler and MAKE SURE YOU APPLY THE THERMAL PASTE CORRECTLY! If you don't want to spend much money, you could just grab some thermal paste, take off the CPU cooler and try again. It could be a problem with the standard thermal paste that can on the cooler.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I'd get some good intakes going on that case. Looks like you can fit a couple of 120mm fans. Then get a decent aftermarket cooler and MAKE SURE YOU APPLY THE THERMAL PASTE CORRECTLY! If you don't want to spend much money' date=' you could just grab some thermal paste, take off the CPU cooler and try again. It could be a problem with the standard thermal paste that can on the cooler.[/quote']

im thinking about getting 2 intakes on the front for the positive airflow so less dust and if that doesnt work, i checked the specs and the cooler master hyper 212 evo fits with 1mm to spare, thank you for the help

try re applying the thermal paste

also there needs to be a little pressure on the cpu once the cpu cooler is in place if its just sitting on top it wont provide good cooling

i was wondering, since there isnt a graphics card, should i put a fan on the side panel so it gets air straight to the CPU cooler?

I would recommend a aftermarket cooler and one or two more intake fans. In my experience AMD Stock Coolers are just horrible.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

i was wondering, since there isnt a graphics card, should i put a fan on the side panel so it gets air straight to the CPU cooler?
You could do that and see if it helps your cpu temps. But I would recommend you to get a Hyper 212 Evo as your cpu cooler to get better temps for your cpu.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Your case needs a decent air flow so the heat could exit from the case, stock cooler for the CPU is enough if air flow in your case is good. Aftermarket cooler is recommended so does a better thermal paste if you want a cool and quite CPU or want to overclock it.

Anyway, Richland is out in june for desktops so check it out...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an A10-5800K system and I had that same heat issue in the bios where it was cool and climbed as it sat all the way up to 55 C.

After going through two different motherboard manufacturers, I contacted AMD about this and they said that it is normal to be running 50 C in the bios. 

My recommendations to help with this is to:

• Use good thermal paste
  • Have good airflow/good CPU heatsink
  • Undervolt if possible (Mine's 4.0 GHz @ 1.3 volts)
  • If you don't care about noise buy a more powerful fan for the heatsink (Higher static pressure & higher CFM)

System Specs: i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz 16GB Corsair Ram @ 2000MHz Asus GTX 670 DC2T