Can't see hard drive in BIOS after formating it

Hey guys,

I've formated my SSD into NTFS as a volume and want to install Windows 10 on a seperat system on this drive.

But I can't see it in the BIOS options now.

Before I have seen it as "UEFI HARD DISK XXXXXX" - niw I can only choose UEFI HARD DISK".

Since I want to boot Windows 10 from USB Stick anyway to install Windows I don't know if it's relevant anyway but somehow I get only Windows error messages with my new cpu (that's why I want to install Windows from scratch) and it crashes when the setup Window opens.

I can see the SSD without a problem on my other computer.

I would switch bios mode. I forget which one can see which but sometimes you can only see a drive in legacy mode or in UEFI mode. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would switch bios mode. I forget which one can see which but sometimes you can only see a drive in legacy mode or in UEFI mode. 

The current mode is LEGACY+UEFI ?

1 minute ago, Hip said:

The current mode is LEGACY+UEFI ?

Then switch to only one of them. They are probably confused because only one can see them. 

Yup! Choose one only, but the problem here is that the BIOS is what determines if there is something connected, pretty much if the drive is nowhere in BIOS then the drive is dead, try to isolate the problem by testing another drive or by using a different slot and if the issue follows the storage device then that's the answer you are looking for.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yup! Choose one only, but the problem here is that the BIOS is what determines if there is something connected, pretty much if the drive is nowhere in BIOS then the drive is dead, try to isolate the problem by testing another drive or by using a different slot and if the issue follows the storage device then that's the answer you are looking for.

The SSD works fine with another computer. I guess something different must be the problem then. But what?

Well, that's good for the drive ?? and bad for the computer, this could mean that the slot is not operating... By any chance can you test a different drive on the slot where this drive is not being detected? Or try a different slot and see if there is a difference. 

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Well, that's good for the drive ?? and bad for the computer, this could mean that the slot is not operating... By any chance can you test a different drive on the slot where this drive is not being detected? Or try a different slot and see if there is a difference. 

Ok, now it is detected. I switched cables ?

But still I get Windows error message when I want to install Windows from boot stick. I even get to the setup windows. Then it crashes.

6 minutes ago, Hip said:

Ok, now it is detected. I switched cables ?

But still I get Windows error message when I want to install Windows from boot stick 

I would try a creating a new boot file on the usb. I know I had an issue where the the windows 10 usb from the store didn't work and I ended up having to create my own. Could be that it's missing some files and ends up giving an error. 

Yes it could be so, if everything else has been corrected it could be the installation media, access to this link, click on download and follow the on-screen instructions to save again the copy of Windows in your USB drive, this will recreate the installation media for you: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10#d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yes it could be so, if everything else has been corrected it could be the installation media, access to this link, click on download and follow the on-screen instructions to save again the copy of Windows in your USB drive, this will recreate the installation media for you: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10#d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec

I did this with the same link a few days ago with media creation tool. Should I try it on another stick?

@Brooksie359 So you think I should do a bootable USB Stick without the media creation tool?

Can you tell me how to do this please 

22 hours ago, Hip said:

I did this with the same link a few days ago with media creation tool. Should I try it on another stick?

@Brooksie359 So you think I should do a bootable USB Stick without the media creation tool?

Can you tell me how to do this please 

What the other user is suggesting is to download Windows as an .ISO file and then burn that image to make it bootable, you can use tools like Rufus to do this:

That is pretty much doing what you are already doing with the link I sent you, you can try once again to recreate the bootable media device, and then if it doesn't work I would test the drive integrity with tools made by the manufacturer to check the lifespan of the hard drive.