Computer crashes during heavy load

yzipyzi

Hello,

My computer just started crashing when starting up a game. Whenever I load into it and play for a few seconds, the PC freezes completely and I have to turn it off. I'm guessing it's probably the graphics card, but I don't want to change it just yet. I tried updating the drivers, but it didn't help. What do I do? Do I have to buy a new GPU?

Also, when it crashes it repeats the last 0.1s of the sound played before the crash. Hope that helps.

Specs:

CPU: i5-4570 

GPU: MSI R9 280x

RAM: crucial DDR3 16gb (4x4GB)

PSU: 750W power supply

MOB: asus b85m-g 

Use Aida64 to stress test and see what causes the crashing

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Use Aida64 to stress test and see what causes the crashing

For some reason it doesn't crash during the stress test. That's probably a driver fault, right?

1 minute ago, yzipyzi said:

For some reason it doesn't crash during the stress test. That's probably a driver fault, right?

What parts of the PC are you stressing?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

I tried the benchmark where it first benchmarks the gpu then the cpu and that didn't crash my PC. Games crash it almost instantly. I'll try the cpu and gpu stress test next.

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Okay, I stressed just the graphics card, and after 1,5 minutes it crashed again after reaching 74 degrees. So, it's most definitely a gpu problem.

Just now, yzipyzi said:

Okay, I stressed just the graphics card, and after 1,5 minutes it crashed again after reaching 74 degrees. So, it's most definitely a gpu problem.

Have you inspected the card for any damages?

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Have you inspected the card for any damages?

The fans seem to be working fine, and the pins are plugged in and stuff. I don't know what else I can check for..

5 minutes ago, yzipyzi said:

The fans seem to be working fine, and the pins are plugged in and stuff. I don't know what else I can check for..

Board damage on capacitors and stuff, burns, etc.

Primary PC:

14 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Board damage on capacitors and stuff, burns, etc.

Absolutely nothing. The card and the motherboard are fine.