Sony announces PlayStation Now, its cloud gaming service for TVs, consoles, and phones

TheSLSAMG

Interesting, cloud service for the PS4.

c594623e68ed43343a3be55d5a8fded8.png

The PlayStation 4 may not be the most important part of Sony's gaming strategy anymore. At CES 2014, Sony has just announced PlayStation Now, a service that will bring streaming PlayStation games not only to PS4, but also PS3, PlayStation Vita, and even televisions, tablets, and smartphones.

It's the company's public-facing brand for Gaikai, the cloud gaming technology it purchased in June of 2012, which the company previously said would bring PS3 games to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita later this year. Sony says the technology is already working here at CES, with attendees able to try critically acclaimed action title The Last of Us here in Vegas. The full service will let users rent games or pay for a subscription that will let them "explore a range of titles." Sony will launch a closed beta in the United States at the end of the month, and plans to roll out the service more broadly by the end of this summer.

"The tethers that have constrained consumption for decades... soon dissolve," said Sony CEO Kaz Hirai.

GAMES IN THE CLOUD

Gaikai works on practically any device — even smartphones — because the games don't actually run locally at all. Cloud gaming services work more like a YouTube video, where powerful servers in remote data centers actually run the games, and stream compressed video frames of that game running to your local devices. They send the input from your touchscreen or game controller to the cloud. It doesn't necessarily require an extremely fast internet connection, but it does require one with very low latency, so that the time between you pressing a button, and the time you see the reaction, is as short as possible.

Originally, Gaikai only streamed PC games to the web and to televisions, racking up deals with Samsung and LG to bring games like The Witcher 2 to their devices, but when Sony nabbed the technology it apparently figured out a way to have those servers emulate legacy PlayStation 3 titles as well. We haven't yet heard how, but it's one way to run PS3 games on PS4. Right now, games from previous PlayStation systems don't work if you stick them in the PS4's disc drive.

In addition to games, Sony also announced a cloud service aimed at television, which will offer live TV, video on demand, and even DVR recording functionality.

So, PS3 games on PS4 through the cloud? Awesome, but latency makes cloud gaming less feasible than say, hardware emulation. This is what killed the OnLive, and hopefully it is a success for Sony.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284294/sony-announces-playstation-now-cloud-gaming/in/5042993

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

As long as it doesn't get as screwed as Skydrive, this could be nice. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Me likie. I like sony, some people hate them but i dont.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

great, now I have have shitty graphics and low framerates on my other devices....noty!

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I won't be buying a PS4 but I was heavily into Onlive when it became available in the UK.  The fact was I had 120 Mbps broadband on a pretty solid LAN connection.  To add to it, this connection was a test bed for about 500 Virgin Media subscribers so you can imagine that there certainly weren't any contention problems on my end.  Onlive gave me an experience that I could only call "muddy".  Anyone with a half decent graphics would have found it a big step backwards.  It was nice to play Windows titles on a Macbook etc but it really wasn't worth the loss of quality.

Gaikai was strikingly different in that there was much less lag and the quality was less muddy but more of a blurred experience.  Colours were bright and vibrant but it was still difficult to appreciate a service that provided such low quality. 

I've been frustrated enough by my experiences, and losses, with these cloud computing implementations that my attention is firmly on Steam home-streaming.  The idea of having your games available on any device is an exciting prospect that I really enjoyed with Onlive but I'm sure the experience of local streaming will far surpass anything that cloud computing can offer within the very near future.     

meh

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Why emulate when you can use the Intel-Android hybrid PC?

Why would I want that? Just emulate it on a virtual machine on my PC or something. As long as it streams the games at native res. I could even assign just one core to the VM! :P

@Vitalius @BoxPossum

Console exclusives you say? :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

@Vitalius @BoxPossum

Console exclusives you say? :P

Not sure what you mean. I don't see "PC" in that list (I know tablets and phones are basically tiny PCs). 

But yeah, I'm pretty sure they are going to be able to stream to PC. Which is nice and all, but the games I like to play on consoles are meant for controllers. JRPG's specifically.

Yeah, I might change my mind. If I can just play them all on my PC, I will just do that. I can buy a controller if I want one.

Edit: I just want to point out that the odds of all Playstation console games being on Gaikai are next to zero. 

The actual library will be sparse for a while.

Oh, and this isn't news. They announced this WAAAAAAY back at E3. Except it didn't have a name back then. That's literally the only difference.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not sure what you mean. I don't see "PC" in that list (I know tablets and phones are basically tiny PCs). 

But yeah, I'm pretty sure they are going to be able to stream to PC. Which is nice and all, but the games I like to play on consoles are meant for controllers. JRPG's specifically.

Yeah, I might change my mind. If I can just play them all on my PC, I will just do that. I can buy a controller if I want one.

Edit: I just want to point out that the odds of all Playstation console games being on Gaikai are next to zero. 

The actual library will be sparse for a while.

Oh, and this isn't news. They announced this WAAAAAAY back at E3. Except it didn't have a name back then. That's literally the only difference.

As someone mentioned above there are a variety of different ways this would allow us to use it on PC. Like Android emulators etc. this could get very interesting ^_^ & yes it's true there was a huge thread about Sony and Gaikai a while back, hopefully Square Enix give us access to KH1.5/2.5? and/or some of the other exclusives.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Why would I want that? Just emulate it on a virtual machine on my PC or something. As long as it streams the games at native res. I could even assign just one core to the VM! :P

Because emulation is not exactly legal. Especially for the latest games. However, it will be later added. I suspect sometime in 2015 or early 2016 after all the other (non-Microsoft) devices are supported.

Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

Finally I can play the Last of Us without buying a PS3.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Finally I can play the Last of Us without buying a PS3.

it's amazing. You'll have some fun with it and cry your guts out.

Also, a testimonial from a person who've actually used the thing:

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml

It took me several minutes to wrap my head around that I was playing a perfect copy of The Last of Us on the Vita on the CES show floor. It was exactly like a Remote Play experience, complete with triggers being mapped to the rear pad. Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free.

Don't forget this will only work for the people who have a really good interned speed so about 10% of the PS4 owners.

Don't forget this will only work for the people who have a really good interned speed so about 10% of the PS4 owners.

... No? 

1080p streaming is the norm now (a lot of people can do it). I have 675 KB/s down (or 8 Mb/s down, it's rounded). I can stream 1080p fine in my house. That's literally all I need for this service aside from a good Ping (mines always 60-100ms). 

I think I'm gonna be fine for this, and I consider myself to be pretty low on the Internet speed totem pole. 

I would guess that the number of PS4 owners would be 50%.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.