Apple's New MacBook Disconnects Microphone "Physically" When Lid is Closed

3 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

Hardware failure rate just jumped by 2000%

No. Because it’s a security feature. https://www.apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf 

87094F93-7C0D-4F23-96BD-F6B477C47038.png

This means not even malware with root privileges can can record audio when the MacBook lid is closed. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

Hardware failure rate just jumped by 2000%

Hey at least those who keep crying privacy this and privacy that can finally shut up about their conversations being recorded 

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Should probably wait for a more reputable news source before making judgements

I updated the post to include the direct explanation from Apple, along with their PDF from their website

46 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

No. Because it’s a security feature. https://www.apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf 

87094F93-7C0D-4F23-96BD-F6B477C47038.png

This means not even malware with root privileges can can record audio when the MacBook lid is closed. 

So the way this is worded directly tells me it has nothing to do with the T2 chip.

Laptops with the t2 chip, ALSO have hardware disconnect. "Even software on the t2 chip".

I guess we will have to wait and see for a lid teardown, but this sounds like what I suggested with pin spring connectors on page 1.

The article mis-conflated the two as related.

Coolio!

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Laptops with the t2 chip, ALSO have hardware disconnect. "Even software on the t2 chip".

If I’m reading this correctly, even if a malefactor successfully tampered the software inside the T2 chip with malware, the microphones would still not record audio when the lid is closed. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If I’m reading this correctly, even if a malefactor successfully tampered the software inside the T2 chip with malware, the microphones would still not record audio when the lid is closed. 

Yes. That is what Apple says in its document. The disconnect is ONLY in hardware.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

How about not having a microphone at all?

Someone might you know, want to have a teleconference call or Skype someone using their MacBook and they might not have a stand alone mic to do it.