Looking for an SSD replacement

Hi, I have a Sony PCG-TR3A laptop which uses a Toshiba MK4004GAH hard disk drive. I'm looking for an 1.8" SSD alternative, which should have a "CF 50PIN" connector. I haven't been able to find an SSD, per se. I know I can use a CF card with an adapter, but will that be bad because of the write cycles of an operating system? Thanks!

Edited by k_benlevi
clarification

Here is one of them https://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-2-5-inch-SM2236-Controller/dp/B0091T4ZWU

you can also buy a m.2 adaper and put any m.2 sata ssd in https://www.amazon.com/44pin-Converter-Adapter-Computer-Accessries/dp/B06XC36V63/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541289674&sr=1-3&keywords=ide+to+m.2&dpID=418IzsdfKyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

BUt really id just get a newer laptop, anything with a ide port is very old, so id replace it unless you need it for a specfic use. You can get used much faster laptops for under 50 bucks.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here is one of them https://www.amazon.com/128GB-KingSpec-2-5-inch-SM2236-Controller/dp/B0091T4ZWU

you can also buy a m.2 adaper and put any m.2 sata ssd in https://www.amazon.com/44pin-Converter-Adapter-Computer-Accessries/dp/B06XC36V63/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541289674&sr=1-3&keywords=ide+to+m.2&dpID=418IzsdfKyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

BUt really id just get a newer laptop, anything with a ide port is very old, so id replace it unless you need it for a specfic use. You can get used much faster laptops for under 50 bucks.

I appreciate it. However, that drive is 2.5" and wouldn't fit in 1.8" mount in the laptop. Otherwise, I would buy any laptop that was made in the 2004-2005 range (need it for a specific demonstration). Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, k_benlevi said:

I appreciate it. However, that drive is 2.5" and wouldn't fit in 1.8" mount in the laptop. Otherwise, I would buy any laptop that was made in the 2004-2005 range (need it for a specific demonstration). Any thoughts?

Oops though This was a normal ide drive.

Then you probably want something like this https://www.amazon.com/CF-Pin-1-8-IDE-Adapter/dp/B004FCY7WQ

Then you can put a cf card in(not full ssd speed, but still much faster than any hdd, and you get get then pretty big(256gb+)

All I found were 1.8" SSDs with ZIF, IDE or SATA connectors.

Many of them made by Winkom, KingSpec and OWC.

That's such a niche form factor btw... :s

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oops though This was a normal ide drive.

Then you probably want something like this https://www.amazon.com/CF-Pin-1-8-IDE-Adapter/dp/B004FCY7WQ

Then you can put a cf card in(not full ssd speed, but still much faster than any hdd, and you get get then pretty big(256gb+)

Yeah, going back to my original question, is using a CF card viable for an OS? the read/write cycles might take a toll... This whole thing is really a mess. Could you recommend me a 2004-2005 laptop that is decently powerful for it's time? Most of the laptops from then we're really easy to find SSDs for, since they are a standard size. Thanks

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

All I found were 1.8" SSDs with ZIF, IDE or SATA connectors.

Many of them made by Winkom, KingSpec and OWC.

Yeah, I appreciate the help, but ZIF doesn't work here, neither does SATA, and it depends on which interface of IDE. CF is inherently IDE.

2 minutes ago, k_benlevi said:

Yeah, I appreciate the help, but ZIF doesn't work here, neither does SATA, and it depends on which interface of IDE. CF is inherently IDE.

I only came across 44-pin IDE drives. No 50-pin... :/ 

Maybe try eBay?

1 minute ago, k_benlevi said:

Yeah, going back to my original question, is using a CF card viable for an OS? the read/write cycles might take a toll... This whole thing is really a mess. Could you recommend me a 2004-2005 laptop that is decently powerful for it's time? Most of the laptops from then we're really easy to find SSDs for, since they are a standard size. Thanks

A cf card will work fine for a boot drive. They have limited write cycles like any nand device, and not perfect spreading out of the writes, but im guessing your not doing anywhere near enough writes for it to be a problem

Why do you need a laptop of that age? Id really look at 2006 systems if you can as then you get sata and there easier to get parts for.

Just now, Senzelian said:

I only came across 44-pin IDE drives. No 50-pin... :/ 

I think 44 pin is regular CF, and 50 pin is for CF hard drives that need more power (probably +5V or something)

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

A cf card will work fine for a boot drive. They have limited write cycles like any nand device, and not perfect spreading out of the writes, but im guessing your not doing anywhere near enough writes for it to be a problem

Why do you need a laptop of that age? Id really look at 2006 systems if you can as then you get sata and there easier to get parts for.

Well, I'm trying to do a demonstration in my school about how we can take our laptops and fix them with SSDs instead of throwing them out and not replacing them. Our laptops are from 2004 but I don't have access to use one as a demo now.

1 minute ago, k_benlevi said:

Well, I'm trying to do a demonstration in my school about how we can take our laptops and fix them with SSDs instead of throwing them out and not replacing them. Our laptops are from 2004 but I don't have access to use one as a demo now.

With laptops of that age a ssd won't help too much, the slow cpu will make web page loading and other basic tasks slow. Id really just get newer system.

Otherwise if you need to keep the system id put a fresh install on the system of a light weight os(light linux distro is probably your best best here). It will be reasonably fast on that hdd.