Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2990wx overclock issues

Gioba
 Share

Hi there guys, first time here. finally i have the long awaited 2990wx but i cant manage to make it works on higher frequencies, exept for the stock ones;

 

my configuration:

2990wx

mobo: gigabyte designare ex 

memory: gskill 3200c16 64gb (16gbx4)

psu: 1200w corsair 

aio: kraken x72 nztx

 

so i tried the first time raising the core clock multiplyer to 38(disabled core boost, amd cool&quiet and c global state), leaving ram on xmp profile 1 and everything else like voltages etc on auto; results, i had to clear cmos, computer totally freezed and code 0d on the motherboard. Second attempt: disabled xmp and raised the core clock to 37. worked out till run cinebench and crashed out and had to reset cmos again. In the gigabyte forum seems like many are having a really hard day trying to push the frequencies ,and my tought is that apart from doing maybe a test on a single ram module and see hows going, i think i have to switch to a native threadripper 2nd gen motherboard to make it works, like asrock x399 taichi or msi meg creation. you guys what do u think?

 

thanks a lot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gioba said:

so i tried the first time raising the core clock multiplyer to 38(disabled core boost, amd cool&quiet and c global state)

Have you increased the CPU voltage?

Does your motherboard have the most recent BIOS drivers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the 2990WX, I would imagine that a cooler with a proper TR4 cold plate would help. That Kraken doesn't cover the IHS and the dies completely so it could be overheating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vascobrissos14 said:

Have you increased the CPU voltage?

Does your motherboard have the most recent BIOS drivers?

hi vasco thanks for reply. no just raised core clock and leaved on auto the cpu voltage. bios is the penultimum released by gigabyte not the last one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Zagna said:

With the 2990WX, I would imagine that a cooler with a proper TR4 cold plate would help. That Kraken doesn't cover the IHS and the dies completely so it could be overheating.

zagna, temperatures are absolutely under control. at stock so means at 3.4 ghz on all cores i have a 60° but the problem is that it nor starts and freeze immediately...so its not about temperature the problem for sure. the second time i disabled xmp and raised core clock to 38 and put the vcore to 1.3...but didnt help yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gioba said:

hi vasco thanks for reply. no just raised voltage and leaved on auto the cpu voltage. bios is the penultimum released by gigabyte not the last one

Try manually increasing the voltage then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gioba said:

hi vasco thanks for reply. no just raised voltage and leaved on auto the cpu voltage. bios is the penultimum released by gigabyte not the last one

You need to raise manual voltage to be able to overclock.

 

Turn off all boost features and set XMP profile.

 

Go ahead raise voltage and core clock.

 

There are plenty of overclocking guides online for threadripper and Zen+. Overclocking is trial and error, so expect to test a lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vascobrissos14 said:

Try manually increasing the voltage then.

the second time i put the core clock to 38, disabled xmp and core voltage to 1.3 but freezed/black screen once running cinebench

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, GoldenLag said:

You need to raise manual voltage to be able to overclock.

 

Turn off all boost features and set XMP profile.

 

Go ahead raise voltage and core clock.

 

There are plenty of overclocking guides online for threadripper and Zen+. Overclocking is trial and error, so expect to test a lot. 

it crashed at 3.7 with core voltage at 1.3..seems already high or not? for a 3.7ghz on all cores? xmp could be leaved on disabled?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gioba said:

the second time i put the core clock to 38, disabled xmp and core voltage to 1.3 but freezed/black screen once running cinebench

Keep increasing the voltage and look at some guides for known working voltages. You're overclocking a Power Consuming Beast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, vascobrissos14 said:

Keep increasing the voltage and look at some guides for known working voltages. You're overclocking a Power Consuming Beast.

ook man thanks. thanks. the 2990wx should reach max 1.45 if im not wrong. i watched lot of guides but seems like is way harder than it seems on this fuckin motherboard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Gioba said:

ook man thanks. the 2990wx should reach max 1.45 if im not wrong. i watched lot of guides but seems like is way harder than it seems on this fuckin motherboard. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Gioba said:

ook man thanks. thanks. the 2990wx should reach max 1.45 if im not wrong. i watched lot of guides but seems like is way harder than it seems on this fuckin motherboard. 

Next time look at the guides before buying the motherboard. They tend to recommend better MOBOs. Post an update later if you achieved your overclock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gioba said:

it crashed at 3.7 with core voltage at 1.3..seems already high or not? for a 3.7ghz on all cores? xmp could be leaved on disabled?

You can probably do 4,0ghz at 1,35 volts.

 

Its a high core count and hot CPU. They can be difficult to overclock.

 

Again, its trial and error. Watch VRM temps. Max voltage (befote major degredation) for Zen plus is 1,42 volts. Keep on eye on VRM temps, it can VRM throttle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vascobrissos14 said:

Next time look at the guides before buying the motherboard. They tend to recommend better MOBOs. Post an update later if you achieved your overclock.

yes ur right..probably will switch to another mobo haha...thanks for ur time man. will try later again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You can probably do 4,0ghz at 1,35 volts.

 

Its a high core count and hot CPU. They can be difficult to overclock.

 

Again, its trial and error. Watch VRM temps. Max voltage (befote major degredation) for Zen plus is 1,42 volts. Keep on eye on VRM temps, it can VRM throttle.

ok thanks man. may i disable xmp while raising core clock temp and voltage? and finally enable it?

 

vrm gigabyte temp is 42 now in idle. cpu temp is 34 idle and 61 in load, at stock

Capture.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gioba said:

ok thanks man. may i disable xmp while raising core clock temp and voltage? and finally enable it?

you just keep XMP on. set XMP to whatever the Ram is rated for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gioba said:

vrm gigabyte temp is 42 now in idle. cpu temp is 34 idle and 61 in load, at stock

VRM shouldnt go above 110*. it should throttle at 120* unless you disable powerprotections

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×