3 way splitter -4pin

Neo-revo

so i recently got a handful of 3 way splitters,  they are idk china/sleeved/  and the split ends are as follows. 1 4->4 with adt:2x(4->3pin)

the splitters dont seem to work on the 4 pin headers.  ( both 3 pin work but not the third 4pin connector)

The pin header probably can't supply enough voltage 3 ways, generally you only split them 2 way or you can burn out the header from overvoltage and you are probably getting the result of some over voltage protection.

2 minutes ago, mortino said:

result of some over voltage protection.

tested this sort of idk.

i have 3 differnt fan controller,  8/10/30w channels.  tried it with low amp things on 8/10 and still not working,  But a second dual splitter (lying around) on one of the working 3 pin splits it (makes all 3 fans spin)   

Same issue on the 30w channel, which shouldn't be an issue if that is what is causing it.    (tried in the opt fan/cpufan/chassis fan slots on mobo as well..   

I also pulled the sleeving end back a bit, it has 4 pins at the main end, 

Just thinking  @mortino  do you know of some sort of limitation that a main plug can only be split 2 ways

maybe i should try the 3 way after a 2 way, maybe it will power all 3

4 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

tested this sort of idk.

i have 3 differnt fan controller,  8/10/30w channels.  tried it with low amp things on 8/10 and still not working,  But a second dual splitter (lying around) on one of the working 3 pin splits it (makes all 3 fans spin)   

Same issue on the 30w channel, which shouldn't be an issue if that is what is causing it.    (tried in the opt fan/cpufan/chassis fan slots on mobo as well..   

I also pulled the sleeving end back a bit, it has 4 pins at the main end, 

Does the controller use a molex plug, if it does it is supplying the supplementary power needed. If this is the case I'm guessing your controller lacks a pwm chip and is just a passthrough.

7 minutes ago, mortino said:

Does the controller use a molex plug, if it does it is supplying the supplementary power needed. If this is the case I'm guessing your controller lacks a pwm chip and is just a passthrough.

the low watt ones are just simple  passthrough with knob/sliders, one with just 12v/2pin/sliders3-12v  and the second one has RPM monitoring/temp monitoring and are 3 pin.

so the 4th pin would make it fail, even though  it supports 4 pin plugs

why would the same issue happen with 4 min mobo plugs?

https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002777

1 minute ago, Neo-revo said:

the low watt ones are just simple  passthrough with knob/sliders, one with just 12v/2pin/sliders3-12v  and the second one has RPM monitoring/temp monitoring and are 3 pin.

so the 4th pin would make it fail, even though  it supports 4 pin plugs

why would the same issue happen with 4 min mobo plugs?

https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002777

3 pin fan headers are literally just straight voltage and are controlled with a pot, simple as it gets for a dc circuit. 4 pin fans are pwm which is pulse width modulation and require a microcontroller. Far more complicated which is why I am assuming it is some over voltage protection for the circuit. Your fan controller itself actually has this function so it could be that.

3x 2.4w fans would overload a 8/10w passthough?

the 10w has alarms on it too, and it beeps constantly cause it can tell the 4 pin pass though isn't working.

What i understand from your reply's, is that both of them are telling me that i shouldn't be trying to put that much on a single line?

maybe i don't understand some thing but isn't W=A(V)

the fans i tried first are the  .20A,   so 3 would be .60 X 12  or 7.2W 

shouldn't that be fine on any of the controllers,

@mortino

10 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

3x 2.4w fans would overload a 8/10w passthough?

the 10w has alarms on it too, and it beeps constantly cause it can tell the 4 pin pass though isn't working.

What i understand from your reply's, is that both of them are telling me that i shouldn't be trying to put that much on a single line?

maybe i don't understand some thing but isn't W=A(V)

the fans i tried first are the  .20A,   so 3 would be .60 X 12  or 7.2W 

shouldn't that be fine on any of the controllers,

@mortino

3 pin fans do not always run at 12 volts, 12 volts is the max speed, they are regulated by the pot which changes the voltage, that's how you get your varying speed. Again just a guess but some sort of safety implementation is your problem. If I recall correctly 3 pin fan headers are good for 0.5 amps not sure about 4 pin pwm, they are a bit less simple even if you are only using the 3 pins on them.

If I recall correctly 3 pin fan headers are good for 0.5 amps not sure about 4 pin pwm, they are a bit less simple even if you are only using the 3 pins on them

thanks i will have to find something to read on this, 

cause i under stand variable amperage is the rheostat/slider  working with the voltage to regulate the out put.   but i don't understand why  3 12v fans (left at 100% on knob/slider)    wont spin up 

i understand also  how the  resistance of the circuit effect IRL performance  and its not a perfect scaleable graph  the lower the voltage goes.

Do you mean the controller can tell that at lower voltages it cant handle the full load of all 3 fans?

The best advice I have to offer is do what I did for my last build, I have a fully tempered glass case so I can't use a controller let alone with supplementary power so I hooked all my case fans up with 3 pin molex splitters. 1 molex plug and however many fans you have splitters. If you don't want that you can always get a powered pwm controller.

Just now, Neo-revo said:

thanks i will have to find something to read on this, 

cause i under stand variable amperage is the rheostat/slider  working with the voltage to regulate the out put.   but i don't understand why  3 12v fans (left at 100% on knob/slider)    wont spin up 

i understand also  how the  resistance of the circuit effect IRL performance  and its not a perfect scaleable graph  the lower the voltage goes.

Do you mean the controller can tell that at lower voltages it cant handle the full load of all 3 fans?

I don't know how the protection works for your motherboard or your fan controller specifically which is why I keep saying I am guessing, the page you linked me for the controller tells me it has protections in place though. I don't own it personally.

The best advice I have to offer is do what I did for my last build, I have a fully tempered glass case so I can't use a controller let alone with supplementary power so I hooked all my case fans up with 3 pin molex splitters. 1 molex plug and however many fans you have splitters. If you don't want that you can always get a powered pwm controller.

thanks for the help  i will continue to work though it,   Mobo- powers all 3 LED-strips  but with a 2nd splitter in one of the 3 pin splits.

i can get you links to the other 2 controllers, if you want.

The idea was that i would like to be able to control all of the fans in a certain area with 1 knob.

(fan bank over VRMS) (radiator1) (radiator2) (intake-front) (intake-bottom) (intake-I/O)

@mortino

without un-sleving them i can only assume its some Quality control issues.

2 of the 6 split with all 3 heads fine, and the other 4, 

one of the 4 pins didnt spin up causing constant alarms (so thats not even useful) and the other 3, one of the 3 pin's  dont work effectively making them Y splits not 3-way

tested my other theory,  got a total of 9 fans spinning (added A varies) but on a single one of the 30w channels  before plugging another in gave a noticeable slight slow down (too much draw)

that was with lots of janky dual splits (some home made)  and the two fully working 3 ways

--what do you think, safe to say  the 'savings' i had from cheap china wires didn't pay off?

1 hour ago, Neo-revo said:

I also use this for my NH-D15 triple fans, so far so good.. it has 2 heads with only 3pins but they doesnt like the normal 3pins, but more like there's 1 of the 2 middle pins is empty,

so it's like    [ | | • | ]    or    [ | • | | ]

while normal 3pin is like    [ | | | • ]    or    [ • | | | ]

What does that mean?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

4 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I also use this for my NH-D15 triple fans, so far so good.. it has 2 heads with only 3pins but they doesnt like the normal 3pins, but more like theres 1 of the 2 middle pins is empty, so it's like   [ | | • | ]  while normal 3pin is like  [ | | | • ]

since i got 2 that work, i may do some surgey, and re-solder them myself,  since even those work,   was, just trying to avoid work,  but i guess i just bought mostly ready to go parts, and i can re sleeve them in white (since thats what i have)  and make them connection specific, one needs, 3, 4, 5, and another 5 and 3 split.  that should get each 'section' on a single knob

4 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I also use this for my NH-D15 triple fans, so far so good.. it has 2 heads with only 3pins but they doesnt like the normal 3pins, but more like there's 1 of the 2 middle pins is empty,

so it's like    [ | | • | ]    or    [ | • | | ]

while normal 3pin is like    [ | | | • ]    or    [ • | | | ]

What does that mean?

The "2nd" (actually 3rd) pin is for reading rpm which is only needed from one fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 2nd pin is for reading rpm which is only needed from one fan.

Could you please tell me what does every pin do?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

23 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Could you please tell me what does every pin do?

12v

Neg

RPM

PWM

the ones that are missing one wont report RPM, but that doesn't matter unless they stop spinning or the main one doenst spin (the one with 4 pin)

27 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

12v

Neg

RPM

PWM

the ones that are missing one wont report RPM, but that doesn't matter unless they stop spinning or the main one doenst spin (the one with 4 pin)

I also has 2xNF-A14 3000 PWM as intake are connected on 1 same sys_fan1 header. They has rated 0.55A max input current each fan, so basically I put 1.1A fans on a single fan header, they runs normally so far, but is 1.1A on a single header not safe to operate?

I'm little bit concerned about this.. If it's not safe, I'll get a molex fan hub 4pin PWM instead.. @WoodenMarker

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

2 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

but is 1.1A on a single header not safe to operate?

depends more on the mobo specs,  need to read the manual to see if it says any thing,

8 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

depends more on the mobo specs,  need to read the manual to see if it says any thing,

Nope! I took every data sheet and manual and other forum to get info about my motherboard fan header max current output.. I got nothing from there..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

3 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Nope! I took every data sheet and manual and other forum to get info about my motherboard fan header max current output.. I got nothing from there..

they are all supplied with the 24pin connector so i wouldnt over load them (all added up) 

if i were you i would have those industrial fans on a controller, for easy realtime manipulation