Weird rattling noise?

yesbutwhy

Bought a gtx 660 off of ebay, creates a weird rattling noise similar to this one:

When I remove the only screw connecting the fan to the heatsink (seller only sent it with one screw), the noise disappears, but the fan is unstable and I'm afraid it'll fall off of the heatsink.  Anyone ever have this issue or know how to fix it?

1 minute ago, yesbutwhy said:

Bought a gtx 660 off of ebay, creates a weird rattling noise similar to this one:

When I remove the only screw connecting the fan to the heatsink (seller only sent it with one screw), the noise disappears, but the fan is unstable and I'm afraid it'll fall off of the heatsink.  Anyone ever have this issue or know how to fix it?

Sounds like a bad fan bearing, make sure the bolt holding the fan in place isn't being over tightened any potentially flexing the fan mount, just snug enough to hold it in place.  

it might be that something is stuck in the fans? idk, i had a friend with a similar issue. make sure that nothing is stuck or loose in the fans. 

Doesnt seem to be anything stuck in it.  I've found some people saying the fan is bouncing off the heatsink since it's not attached properly so I'll see if I can tape it down or something.

A 660 is an extremely old GPU and the most likely cause for this is that dust has built up inside the fan. When the bearings inside the fan get dusty they will wear out and start to make bad noises. Generally, there isn't a fix for this but you can try blowing out the dust with a can of compressed air. If nothing else you may need to buy a new cooler online or try to get your money back and buy a newer GPU. A 660 seems a bit extreme to go back that many generations unless it was a REALLY good price like under £100.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, FaintLocket424 said:

A 660 is an extremely old GPU and the most likely cause for this is that dust has built up inside the fan. When the bearings inside the fan get dusty they will wear out and start to make bad noises. Generally, there isn't a fix for this but you can try blowing out the dust with a can of compressed air. If nothing else you may need to buy a new cooler online or try to get your money back and buy a newer GPU. A 660 seems a bit extreme to go back that many generations unless it was a REALLY good price like under £100. 

Hope this helps.

Seems to happen when these are new too.  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386920-33-brand-makes-clicking-rattling-noise

That was published in 2013 so maybe it is a manufacturing defect?

Could still be dust.

Ok i seem to have fixed it

The left fan was hanging off the heatsink by less than a milimeter so i hot-glued a small piece of paper to the underside of the fan preventing it from bouncing off the heatsink at high speeds.  Seems pretty quiet, but i hope the heatsink doesn't get so hot that the glue melts.

Yep.  There are other videos/threads of people complaining about older gigabyte windforce fans doing the same thing so im guessing its something to do with gigabyte's fan mounting.