Need help for a 800$ canadian gaming pc

Charmander

Hi, I plan on building a new pc soon to upgrade from my G3258 and GTX 750ti for around 800 Canadian Dollars. (610 USD)

I want the most bang for buck pc that will support me throughout high school. (Roughly 3-4 years) 

I will be using this pc for gaming and school work.

I want to play games like Forza Horizon 4 at High-Ultra Settings 60fps.

I also plan on getting the LG  34UM69G-B Ultrawide monitor or something similar. (Not factored in the 800$ budget). https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/LwGj4D/lg-34um69g-b-340-2560x1080-75hz-monitor-34um69g-b

All help is appreciated!

So, do you need a full build or are you willing to reuse some of your current parts like the power supply and the case? (what psu do you have by the way?)

I wouldn't worry about high school work, generally it's just a bunch of essay writing and occasionally some presentations - almost anything will handle those.

I don't really recommend 21:9 monitors, they're generally just as expensive as a higher resolution 16:9 panel and this one is no exception... not to mention 1080p at 34" doesn't look very crisp.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

So, do you need a full build or are you willing to reuse some of your current parts like the power supply and the case? (what psu do you have by the way?)

I wouldn't worry about high school work, generally it's just a bunch of essay writing and occasionally some presentations - almost anything will handle those.

I don't really recommend 21:9 monitors, they're generally just as expensive as a higher resolution 16:9 panel and this one is no exception... not to mention 1080p at 34" doesn't look very crisp.

Yee, lack of crispness coupled with a lot of writing/text stuff would be horrible. 1080p at 24" (or 25" ultrawide) is stretched enough IMO, 24" is the biggest I would reccomend going for, but if you can get a 1440p 24/27" monitor I'd reccomend that.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Yee, lack of crispness coupled with a lot of writing/text stuff would be horrible. 1080p at 24" (or 25" ultrawide) is stretched enough IMO, 24" is the biggest I would reccomend going for, but if you can get a 1440p 24/27" monitor I'd reccomend that. 

Ok, thanks.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Thanks for the advice on the monitor.

This is my current parts list:

I don't really want to use old parts because they are not very good quality and I plan on giving this pc to a friend.

41 minutes ago, Charmander said:

I don't really want to use old parts because they are not very good quality and I plan on giving this pc to a friend.

Here is what you should try to aim for:

It's not too expensive, good performance for the price, and leagues faster than your current rig. Please try to save up to get this sort of setup instead of settling for something lower. It can be stripped down (weaker GPU and CPU), but I would not recommend it because you would probably just want to upgrade it down the line anyway. Try to set yourself up for a while instead of buying low and spending more money later to upgrade.

But, if you can't get the money together or you don't want to wait, here is what you can do:

With this build, you will be able to play games right away without a graphics card. You can use this to hold you over until you have the money to buy a full GPU (again I would recommend the RX580).

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

4 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

Here is what you should try to aim for:

It's not too expensive, good performance for the price, and leagues faster than your current rig. Please try to save up to get this sort of setup instead of settling for something lower. It can be stripped down (weaker GPU and CPU), but I would not recommend it because you would probably just want to upgrade it down the line anyway. Try to set yourself up for a while instead of buying low and spending more money later to upgrade.

But, if you can't get the money together or you don't want to wait, here is what you can do:

With this build, you will be able to play games right away without a graphics card. You can use this to hold you over until you have the money to buy a full GPU (again I would recommend the RX580). 

Wow, thanks for the great advice. I'll definitely save up. I also wanted to ask if I can use this SSD for more space:https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WGZ2FT/kingston-a400-480gb-25-solid-state-drive-sa400s37480g

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

It seems like a cool idea but I haven't really bought anything used before.

I also want to get a new CPU because it will be more future proof with 6 cores.

But the case looks really cool and I am really considering the RX 580

Thanks for the suggestion

16 minutes ago, Charmander said:

It seems like a cool idea but I haven't really bought anything used before.

I also want to get a new CPU because it will be more future proof with 6 cores.

CPUs rarely fail so they're perfectly fine to buy used. The ryzen 2600 would need a new mobo and DDR4 ram that would have went way past your budget without getting a much worse GPU while the i7 4770 works just fine with your current board while performing similarly in games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

CPUs rarely fail so they're perfectly fine to buy used. The ryzen 2600 would need a new mobo and DDR4 ram that would have went way past your budget without getting a much worse GPU while the i7 4770 works just fine with your current board while performing similarly in games. 

Ok, I'll definitely look into it and try to maybe find a 4790k.

8 minutes ago, Charmander said:

Ok, I'll definitely look into it and try to maybe find a 4790k.

no need for an unlocked i7 when your mobo can't oc, the locked i7s will do.

4 hours ago, Charmander said:

Wow, thanks for the great advice. I'll definitely save up. I also wanted to ask if I can use this SSD for more space:https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/WGZ2FT/kingston-a400-480gb-25-solid-state-drive-sa400s37480g

That Kingston, although cheap, is cacheless and will perform slower and die faster than the EVO I listed. EVOs also come in a 500gb variant if you like, and even up to 1tb.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

15 hours ago, Charmander said:

Getting a used i7 for your socket wouldn't be a bad idea and it would allow you to spend more of your budget on other things. Buying used cpus usually isn't a problem, they don't really suffer from degradation over time - as long as it isn't dead when you receive it it should work just as though it were new. Starting from your current build I would buy an ssd (a sata drive is fine), a more reliable power supply and spend whatever's left on a graphics card - you may be able to shoot for a 1070/ti at that point.

If you really want to start from scratch, here's what I'd get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($224.36 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.99 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4GB Dual Video Card  ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - BR 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $816.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-02 11:05 EDT-0400

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

That Kingston, although cheap, is cacheless and will perform slower and die faster than the EVO I listed. EVOs also come in a 500gb variant if you like, and even up to 1tb.

Thanks, I will probably save up for a 500gb EVO

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Getting a used i7 for your socket wouldn't be a bad idea and it would allow you to spend more of your budget on other things. Buying used cpus usually isn't a problem, they don't really suffer from degradation over time - as long as it isn't dead when you receive it it should work just as though it were new. Starting from your current build I would buy an ssd (a sata drive is fine), a more reliable power supply and spend whatever's left on a graphics card - you may be able to shoot for a 1070/ti at that point.

If you really want to start from scratch, here's what I'd get:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($224.36 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($91.99 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4GB Dual Video Card  ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - BR 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $816.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-02 11:05 EDT-0400

I'll definitely consider a used i7, Thanks

20 hours ago, Charmander said:

I'll definitely consider a used i7, Thanks

Sell your current rig, ND build something like this...

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($223.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($95.91 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($239.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($71.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $799.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-03 13:49 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 11/3/2018 at 1:48 PM, vexicus365 said:

Sell your current rig, ND build something like this...

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($223.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($95.91 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($47.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($239.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($71.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $799.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-03 13:49 EDT-0400

Thanks for sharing the parts list. I'm probably going to save up a little bit and go for an Rx 580 or even an RTX 2070. I also plan on giving some parts from my old builds to some friends.