Home Network- wired repeaters, guest access

Hey all,

I have a fairly basic networking setup in my house. I have my main router on the ground floor that connects to a switch which then connects to all the different access points in our house. My house is made of concrete because of which i have an access point in every room; all these access points have a different SSID, "a's room","b's room" etc. I've looked into a mesh network but all of them seem a bit expensive at the moment. Is there anyway i could use the existing access points as a wired wifi repeater? and I don't mean giving them all the same SSID.

Every hotel I've been to has one wifi network that covers the entire hotel with multiple access points in different locations, how do they do it? Is it possible to do something like that at a private residence?

Also on my main router I have guest access, and that works fine on the ground floor but when we have guests that go upstairs the guest network doesn't really work well. Is there any way i could replicate this guest access through out my house?

Any information, recommendations on routers/access points or any networking software/hardware really helps! Thank you ?

Ps - my main router is a linksys max-stream AC1750

Heres a network map

https://imgur.com/a/aWBYVpF

Edit: I am planning on switching over to gigabyte soon and have a budget of around $50 for each access point. Any recommendations on good access points/routers would be very helpful :D

Generally they duplicate each router/repeater to the same IP and DNS configuration to the main router. That way you can allocate different SSIDs and still have it connect to the main network.

If I do decide to ditch the idea of guest network throughout the house, would it be possible to change the password of all my access points at the same time?

I'd roll the same ssid on those, but it sounds like you might have deployed a lot of individual, consumer grade autonomous devices.

Ideally you'd want something more designed for scale with a controller behind it that can manage wireless networks and clients across all of your access points on a contiguous ssid. Ubiquiti is pretty popular in the consumer space and the unifi line encompasses those features.

23 hours ago, Netivity said:

Generally they duplicate each router/repeater to the same IP and DNS configuration to the main router. That way you can allocate different SSIDs and still have it connect to the main network.

This is a pretty off base response and doesn't reflect a high level of understanding.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 11/2/2018 at 6:55 PM, beersykins said:

This is a pretty off base response and doesn't reflect a high level of understanding.

How?

OP asked for a network infrastructure using existing components.

My advice was to duplicate the other devices in the same configuration as the main router.

All you have provided is a solution that needs to be purchased and additional software needed to be purchased to achieve something that could be achieved on a much smaller budget.

This is a private residence after all, not an entire enterprise.

This makes it seem like your answer is an off-base response, and doesn't reflect a high level of comprehension. 

Don't get me wrong, I am no network engineer and never claimed to be, I just suggested something that I have done myself, and that worked.

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

I am no network engineer

Cool bro, I am.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:15 AM, Netivity said:

Generally they duplicate each router/repeater to the same IP and DNS configuration to the main router.

OP was asking how hotels manage a single contiguous ssid.  Clearly you don't have any experience in this realm and your suggestion doesn't reflect any sort of reality.

Yes, OP would be better off advertising the same ssid.  That doesn't necessiate 'duplicating IP/dns' which can potentially cause issues like ip conflict or DHCP contention since you didn't actually clarify what you're talking about.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

7 hours ago, beersykins said:

Cool bro, I am.

Good for you, again -  I explained on what worked for me, in a PRIVATE residence.

OP was asking how hotels manage a single contiguous ssid

On 11/1/2018 at 7:13 PM, Assfault said:

My house is made of concrete because of which i have an access point in every room; all these access points have a different SSID, "a's room","b's room" etc. I've looked into a mesh network but all of them seem a bit expensive at the moment. Is there anyway i could use the existing access points as a wired wifi repeater?

Which is the part I attempted to answer, with knowledge that worked for me.

Clearly you don't have any experience in this realm and your suggestion doesn't reflect any sort of reality.

No, I don't, never said I have, never said I do. Again, I just suggested something that worked for me.

since you didn't actually clarify what you're talking about.

Hold, on - what's this:

On 11/2/2018 at 6:55 PM, beersykins said:

I'd roll the same ssid on those, but it sounds like you might have deployed a lot of individual, consumer grade autonomous devices.

Ideally you'd want something more designed for scale with a controller behind it that can manage wireless networks and clients across all of your access points on a contiguous ssid. Ubiquiti is pretty popular in the consumer space and the unifi line encompasses those features.

Your "clarification" is... where?

On a more personal note, I am all for learning, and currently want to learn things like this. If I make a mistake or mention something wrong - that's fine. I am all for handling criticism when it is done so in a polite manner. 

Your comments came off as rude and ignorant, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, you just need to get off your high horse.

40 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I am all for handling criticism

Maybe you could use some soul searching as you make claims to something technical and overreact in a rude manner when your incorrect answer is noted.  Conversely you can avoid these situations by not providing incorrect information.

@Assfault what kind of performance are you targeting?  Some of the n based ubiquiti access points can do what you want at the price target you listed.

3 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Maybe you could use some soul searching as you make claims to something technical and overreact in a rude manner when your incorrect answer is noted.  Conversely you can avoid these situations by not providing incorrect information.

It must not get through to you that what I provided was information that worked for ME. There is always a YMMV variable.

Besides, every other piece of evidence that I have provided, proving you to be doing the exact same thing you claim I do, has not been addressed by you, I must've said something that is truthful, if not all.

The only reason my comments started to get rude, was because of the ignorant nature of your comments. Network Engineering may not be my area of study, but there is no way I'll let a person like you, who throw their intellect in the ring like it's a rite of passage let me know that my comments come off as rude.

See ya later.