G-sync + 240hz monitor?

Fr4nt1s3k

Hello, I'm deciding which monitor to buy right now and I've read that if your PC goes above monitor's refresh rate, G-sync is disabled and V-sync replaces it momentarily.
When you play below your monitor's refresh rate, G-sync activates.

Is that true? What are the drawbacks of V-sync replacing G-sync above max. refresh rate?

Also I've seen people also use RTSS rivatuner to limit their fps below max refresh rate => V-sync is probably bad?

My PC can handle about 120-280 fps in Fortnite, so I'm hoping that G-sync will make my game smoother even if there are fps drops.

Vsync is Garbage and should never be used if you have decent hardware. 

Gysnc is good but can have its own issues with added latency as well, but generally makes the experience smoother. Turn off Shadows, AA, and Post Processing, you dont need those. Adjust effects and Textures and you shouldnt have major dips anymore

3 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

Hello, I'm deciding which monitor to buy right now and I've read that if your PC goes above monitor's refresh rate, G-sync is disabled and V-sync replaces it momentarily.
When you play below your monitor's refresh rate, G-sync activates.

Is that true? What are the drawbacks of V-sync replacing G-sync above max. refresh rate?

Also I've seen people also use RTSS rivatuner to limit their fps below max refresh rate => V-sync is probably bad?

My PC can handle about 120-280 fps in Fortnite, so I'm hoping that G-sync will make my game smoother even if there are fps drops.

Well, V-sync is bad mainly because some games don't work well while using V-sync. Also the G-sync ON V-sync ON is mainly to get rid of tearing if you go past the refresh rate of your display.

So... globaly set this in Nvidia Control Panel:
G-sync ON
V-sync ON

In-game settings - V-sync off.

Will that work fine? ? 
I've got my game set at low settings except for draw distance and 1080p resolution.
I'm still concerned why people limit their FPS to 237 for example. Why would they download third party software to do it, if V-sync can simply keep the game at max refresh rate and G-sync takes care of stuttering below that? ?

5 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

So... globaly set this in Nvidia Control Panel:
G-sync ON
V-sync ON

In-game settings - V-sync off.

Will that work fine? ? 
I've got my game set at low settings except for draw distance and 1080p resolution.
I'm still concerned why people limit their FPS to 237 for example. Why would they download third party software to do it, if V-sync can simply keep the game at max refresh rate and G-sync takes care of stuttering below that? ?

As @Shimejii said because V-sync is garbage. It's outdated.

With those setting everything should be fine, mostly. However you should still do a test-run with V-sync globally OFF and ON.

If there is 0 differences it's much better to run games with V-sync OFF. If there is a massive tearing you could just limit you max fps to your refresh rate.

You can set vertical sync to 'fast' in the Nvidia control panel. This is kinda like v-sync but with much less input lag. (For more info Google Fast sync, even though it's not called that in the Nvidia control panel)

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B