Games Crashing on RTX 2080

Nirofix
Go to solution Solved by Nirofix,

Thanks to all People that helped me. I think Its now clear that the GPU was  drawing too much Power

4 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

On the left side you can select Windows > system there you should look only for Critical errors.

normal errors could be that you have unplugged a USB stick or something minor like that.

I did the Bench at 12:34   In the 3 warning Details is only 

+ System
- EventData
      nvlddmkm

erieg 2.PNG

Sorry for my bad English (I try to do my best)

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
    970 Evo 250 GB + +1TB SSD + 1TB SSHD
  • PSU
    BeQuiet Straight Power 11 750w
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

8 minutes ago, Dversity said:

650w minimum. It wouldnt hurt buying a proper 850w either, as it will last long. I've bought a  HX1000i psu 4 years ago, and its just as relevant today as it was back then. 

Agree - if you are going to upgrade a PSU, futureproof (850 plus watts imho) with a good one with 10 year Warranty.  I have the HX850i and its going to travel to a couple more systems before it ends its lifecycle for sure (and do a great job in each system)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Nirofix said:

I did the Bench at 12:34

erieg 2.PNG

So probably the Display errors (or in this case warnings) are probably that the videocard does not react or works properly and as a result looking at 10016 Crashes.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

7 minutes ago, Nirofix said:

So I searched in the Eventviewer and there is this. Sorry but it's in German I hope you can tell me Whats wrong anyways. (Fehler means Error)

ereignis.PNG

Kernel 41 critical error - that is your problem. Sometimes tweaking settings solve it, sometimes its PSU. You can google out the error and see that it is very common.

So you guys think I just have to get a PSU with higher wattage and the problem should be solved

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

24 minutes ago, Dversity said:

Keep in mind that 20%~ of the psu power disappears in heat etc. So ur 500w powersupply can only deliver up to 415-420 watts realistically. I bet your PSU is just too weak. :) 

Wow, no

It can supply 500 watts. It draws more from the wall........... So that is just blatantly false.

34 minutes ago, DOGEY said:

Umm...I think 500W PSU is not enough for a RTX 2080.

Should be plenty considering you can Do Vega cards on 500watt PSUs

The 500 watt PSU is a high quality one aswell. I dont see it being the culprit. 

2 minutes ago, Nirofix said:

So you guys think I just have to get a PSU with higher wattage and the problem should be solved

Yes, I definitely think so. 500w is quite low. I always recommend people to not try to save money and buy a cheap PSU. Buying a quality PSU like Corsair HX series will last long and be more efficient.

8 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Agree - if you are going to upgrade a PSU, futureproof (850 plus watts imho) with a good one with 10 year Warranty.  I have the HX850i and its going to travel to a couple more systems before it ends its lifecycle for sure (and do a great job in each system)

Unless doing dualcards a good 550-650 watt PSU is plenty

1 minute ago, Dversity said:

Yes, I definitely think so. 500w is quite low. I always recommend people to not try to save money and buy a cheap PSU. Buying a quality PSU like Corsair HX series will last long and be more efficient.

BeQuiet is very high quality

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Dversity said:

Wattage has nothing to say on how good a PSU is. The quality is. Pure power 10 above 400watts is very good PSU.

As far as i know it is not the culprit here

PSU tier list as reference. Practically noone needs more than 500 watts in their systems. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Unless doing dualcards a good 550-650 watt PSU is plenty

The full load of the RTX 2080 alone is 405 Watts. unless the 500 Watt oversupplies it don't see it giving enough power for a sustained load with the CPU Draining power which can also be up to 146 Watts.

Running a heavy game like GTA 5 will trigger that full load. that is when it crashes.

8 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

The full load of the RTX 2080 alone is 405 Watts. unless the 500 Watt oversupplies it don't see it giving enough power for a sustained load with the CPU Draining power which can also be up to 146 Watts.

Running a heavy game like GTA 5 will trigger that full load. that is when it crashes.

This is during gaming.

During torture testing it draws 280 watts according to hardwareunboxed. This is again gaming and full powerdraw is rare due to bottlenecks. 

The 1600 is not under full utilization and draws a max of 100 watts during gaming.

Peak powerdraw that the 2080ti does is  350 watts and high quality PSUs are fine with some peak draw outside spec. (Edit: Note how its not outside of spec)

Add about 50 watts for other components and its fine. 

Worst case is to downclock the GPU. To see if it causes it to fix itself.

I limited the Power Limit of the GPU down to 60% and It seems to work now.

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I will buy a new power supply in 1-2 months when i have the money

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, Nirofix said:

This would suggest that it is drawing to much power.

Thanks to all People that helped me. I think Its now clear that the GPU was  drawing too much Power

My System

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard
    ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • RAM
    32GB Trident Z
  • GPU
    Asus 2080 Strix O8G
  • Case
    Cougar Panzer
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Mouse
    Roccat Tyon
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 minutes ago, Nirofix said:

Put the GPU to stock clocks i suppose. Guess i was wrong, but it really shouldnt have failed. 

Stock clocks shouldnt do more than 250 watts according to Nvidia themselves. 

Should be a good temporary solution.

Get a tier 1 or 2 PSU in the PSU tierlist

Seasonic focus gold plus is a good pick

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Practically noone needs more than 500 watts in their systems. 

A dangerous assumption

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 minutes ago, Velcade said:

A dangerous assumption

A correct assumption. The ammount of people that need more is minescule

Its also a wasteful assumption that you need 850 watts. 

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wow, no

It can supply 500 watts. It draws more from the wall........... So that is just blatantly false.

Should be plenty considering you can Do Vega cards on 500watt PSUs

"When a PSU (or other device) is 80 percent efficient, 80 percent of the rated power is actually delivered to the system and the other 20 percent is lost in the form of heat. If a PSU is drawing 500W from the wall and is 80 percent efficient at 100 percent load, it will only be able to deliver 400W at maximum output. Such a PSU will be rated at 400W, since that’s the maximum power that will actually be delivered to the system."

Yes you're right. Thanks for clearing that up. My bad. 

500w is quite plenty for your system. I guess the problem is not about wattage amount but the PSU itself. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

50 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

This would suggest that it is drawing to much power.

Weird.   lol

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

A correct assumption. The ammount of people that need more is minescule

Its also a wasteful assumption that you need 850 watts. 

The difference in cost is miniscule (for me...not even a question to spend the extra $$$) and to ensure I can carry this PSU over to future power hungry components, which is the absolute trend Ive been seeing in PC gaming for some time.  More watts, more raw power.  Until that trend changes I cant see why spending money on a 500w PSU wouldn't be considered wasteful - to each their own, but I have more options than the rest of the "eaches" without buying ANOTHER PSU.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

The difference in cost is miniscule (for me...not even a question to spend the extra $$$) and to ensure I can carry this PSU over to future power hungry components, which is the absolute trend Ive been seeing in PC gaming for some time.  More watts, more raw power.  Until that trend changes I cant see why spending money on a 500w PSU wouldn't be considered wasteful - to each their own, but I have more options than the rest of the "eaches" without buying ANOTHER PSU.

Also not to mention that it only uses power that the system requires and does not constantly pulls the maximum from the wall :P

43 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

The power cost has pretty much stayed the same or gone down the last 5 years depending on what top end card you are counting.

20-50$ depending on what PSU we are talking is quite a big step for quite a few people. Offcourse if you have the money to spend get something overkill, but otherwise a 500/550 watt is enough

A high quality 500/550 watt is a lot better than a low quality 750 one.