Windows Error instead of a boot screen

Hey guys,

I just bought a i7 4790k and want to run it on my MSI Z87 G43.

To make this possible I updated my BIOS and ME. The BIOS and ME update was successfull, but now I get Windows Error Messages at booting.

Before that even the MSI loading screen stuck or got black screen but after the update I only get Windows Error Messages which differ from each other but Windows is not booted at all.

For example:

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

HAL INITIALAZATION FAILED

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks for all replies in advance!

IMG_20181031_010222.jpg

IMG_20181031_010142.jpg

27 minutes ago, Hip said:

I just bought a i7 4790k and want to run it on my MSI Z87 G43.

To make this possible I updated my BIOS and ME. The BIOS and ME update was successfull, but now I get Windows Error Messages at booting.

Before that even the MSI loading screen stuck or got black screen but after the update I only get Windows Error Messages which differ from each other but Windows is not booted at all.

Hello again :D

"when you flash the BIOS it returns to default settings. It's also possible for the default settings to change values from the old BIOS . if you set anything yourself in the old BIOS put the settings back the way you had them. Check that your memory timings/voltages are right. Also check your SATA mode for the harddrives. Windows won't boot if its been switched fro AHCI to IDE or vice versa. "

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/305952-30-blue-screen-bios-update

Also you could try to clear CMOS.

1 hour ago, Mholes said:

Hello again :D

"when you flash the BIOS it returns to default settings. It's also possible for the default settings to change values from the old BIOS . if you set anything yourself in the old BIOS put the settings back the way you had them. Check that your memory timings/voltages are right. Also check your SATA mode for the harddrives. Windows won't boot if its been switched fro AHCI to IDE or vice versa. "

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/305952-30-blue-screen-bios-update

Also you could try to clear CMOS.

So you think I should flash BIOS to old version? And try then to boot?

How can I check voltage/timings? And SATA mode?

19 hours ago, Hip said:

So you think I should flash BIOS to old version? And try then to boot?

How can I check voltage/timings? And SATA mode?

Nah, you just go to your BIOS with F12 or DELETE or whatever the board uses.

In the BIOS you go to settings -> advanced -> integrated peripherals. There you should find SATA mode. If you didn't overclock your previous CPU you don't need to check the voltages.

If you still cannot get into windows try clearing the CMOS, it should reset all BIOS settings. IF nothing helps you could try to revert back to older BIOS.

Sorry for these super long wait times.

7 hours ago, Mholes said:

Nah, you just go to your BIOS with F12 or DELETE or whatever the board uses.

In the BIOS you go to settings -> advanced -> integrated peripherals. There you should find SATA mode. If you didn't overclock your previous CPU you don't need to check the voltages.

If you still cannot get into windows try clearing the CMOS, it should reset all BIOS settings. IF nothing helps you could try to revert back to older BIOS.

Sorry for these super long wait times.

I tried it with AHCI to IDE and WHQL too. I got until the installation screen of my .iso from USB. But either it crashes there or gets stuck.

I have also put out the CMOS battery and resetted settings.

How can I put back the old BIOS?

I talked to a technicisn and he told me to reinstall windows but I can't do it >.<

11 minutes ago, Hip said:

I tried it with AHCI to IDE and WHQL too. I got until the installation screen of my .iso from USB. But either it crashes there or gets stuck.

I have also put out the CMOS battery and resetted settings.

How can I put back the old BIOS?

I talked to a technicisn and he told me to reinstall windows but I can't do it >.<

Well you could just download the version 1.5 BIOS + ME and install through USB again OR you could try to reinstall the current BIOS + ME.

Some people have been successful with a reinstall.

EDIT: you could also try you previous CPU and see if it boots fine.

23 minutes ago, Mholes said:

Well you could just download the version 1.5 BIOS + ME and install through USB again OR you could try to reinstall the current BIOS + ME.

Some people have been successful with a reinstall.

EDIT: you could also try you previous CPU and see if it boots fine.

It works good with the old CPU. I've been told that Windows 10 is needed a reinstall when I change from i5 to i7 because system files can't run the new cpu with old cpu settings.

Video

Update:

I got until the installation screen of Windiws again and it Crashed once the other time it was frozen

13 minutes ago, Hip said:

It works good with the old CPU. I've been told that Windows 10 is needed a reinstall when I change from i5 to i7 because system files can't run the new cpu with old cpu settings.

True, but since the Windows 10 installation fails we are in a pickle :D

Your best bet is to reinstall the BIOS + ME i guess. And after that try to install windows 10.

1 minute ago, Hip said:

Can I do this also via USB stick?

Unfortunately not, you need to boot into windows AFAIK.

10 minutes ago, Mholes said:

Unfortunately not, you need to boot into windows AFAIK.

Lol but I can't. I don't have the second cpu now. But I have another problem. Somehow there is no memory size detected of RAM. 

1541076405999..jpg

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

Lol but I can't. I don't have the second cpu now. But I have another problem. Domehow there is no memory size detected of RAM. 

1541076405999..jpg

That could actually explain a lot. Take out all RAM sticks except one. And try to boot into windows.

46 minutes ago, Mholes said:

That could actually explain a lot. Take out all RAM sticks except one. And try to boot into windows.

I tried and got the same result except that my 4096mb are now recognized.

Update:

Now it shows again 0mb

4 hours ago, Hip said:

I tried and got the same result except that my 4096mb are now recognized.

Update:

Now it shows again 0mb

Welp, i guess you just have to reinstall the BIOS and hope you can reinstall Windows after that.

1 hour ago, Mholes said:

Welp, i guess you just have to reinstall the BIOS and hope you can reinstall Windows after that.

You mean the old version of BIOS?

Can I just overwrite the old one or how does it work?

12 hours ago, Hip said:

You mean the old version of BIOS?

Can I just overwrite the old one or how does it work?

The new one. And yes if you want to roll back you can overwrite it too.

Also the support for the Haswell-refresh (4790K etc...) was added in BIOS version 1.7.

So that is the oldest BIOS version that supports your CPU. And since it boots nicely to BIOS i'm not sure where the problem is exactly.

15 minutes ago, Mholes said:

The new one. And yes if you want to roll back you can overwrite it too.

Also the support for the Haswell-refresh (4790K etc...) was added in BIOS version 1.7.

So that is the oldest BIOS version that supports your CPU. And since it boots nicely to BIOS i'm not sure where the problem is exactly.

So could I now install 1.7 even though it's older than my current version?

If that foesn't work I'd try with another mainboard. If that doesn't work the cpu has a problem I guess.

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

So could I now install 1.7 even though it's older than my current version?

If that foesn't work I'd try with another mainboard. If that doesn't work the cpu has a problem I guess.

Yes you can. And yea, Z97 has native support OR newer Z87 boards that have been made after Haswell-refresh release.

8 minutes ago, Mholes said:

Yes you can. And yea, Z97 has native support OR newer Z87 boards that have been made after Haswell-refresh release.

I have the Z87.

1541145474619..jpg

Just now, Hip said:

I have the Z87.

Yesh, i've had similar issues while updating BIOS but usually after few of these steps it has started to work. Reflashing the BIOS + ME could work, flashin to older BIOS could also work. Also to add to my previous post those new Z87 board just have the newest BIOS. 

Try to reinstall the newest BIOS AND after that try the version 1.7, after that if you cannot boot to windows/windows installer i'm out of ideas.

43 minutes ago, Mholes said:

Yesh, i've had similar issues while updating BIOS but usually after few of these steps it has started to work. Reflashing the BIOS + ME could work, flashin to older BIOS could also work. Also to add to my previous post those new Z87 board just have the newest BIOS. 

Try to reinstall the newest BIOS AND after that try the version 1.7, after that if you cannot boot to windows/windows installer i'm out of ideas.

Still doesn't work ?

I'll try out with another mainboard.

2 hours ago, Hip said:

Still doesn't work ?

I'll try out with another mainboard.

:(