Cpu cooler choice

InvisibleRasta

hello guys i am in the need of getting a better cooler for my i7 8700. today i was compiling gentoo and i saw the temperatures of my cpu go up to 100C that would be 212F...i am also planning on upgrading to a 8700k soon so i want to get the best i can get. i saw that the noctua is very nice but its a bit pricy.. waht do yhou think about the Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M ? i saw they made a Asus Tuf gaming themed one and it would fit nice with my asus tuf motherboard but i dont know if it is any good.  waht are ur suggestions?

How much do you want to spend?

IMO the best air cooler you can get (assuming you want a single tower) is the U14S

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

el cheapo: Hyper 212. gets the job done. silence is ok, OCing not so much

Middleclas: BeQuiet!Shadow rock 

mega nice:

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

IMO the best air cooler you can get (assuming you want a single tower) is the U14S

or some other fat noctua 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

if i was getting a noctua i think i would go with the Noctua NH-D15 but its quite expensive... even the one you suggested in my country is quite expensive to be  honest...

1 minute ago, InvisibleRasta said:

if i was getting a noctua i think i would go with the Noctua NH-D15 but its quite expensive... even the one you suggested in my country is quite expensive to be  honest...

I have the D15 on mine and its a total beast. Its awesome. But yeah it is very expensive.

For a cheaper but decent cooler, look at the Cryorig H7.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

the cheapest D15 i found here in italy is 85 euro... that would be 96 USD.. 

Just now, InvisibleRasta said:

the cheapest D15 i found here in italy is 85 euro... that would be 96 USD.. 

well... D15 is badass, but you only need it when youre a absolute silence freak or want to do a heavy OC.

like I said a 25€ Hyper 212 is fine for most cases. If you want something decent go with the qbe quiet shadow rock 2

https://www.amazon.de/quiet-BK013-Shadow-CPU-Kühler-4-polig/dp/B00DQCOJUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540947148&sr=8-1&keywords=shadow+rock

its like half the price for the same perf. IF you're not doing heavy oc. light OC is possible 

30 minutes ago, InvisibleRasta said:

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, huge bulky like a bike engine block, despite its size it's not that heavy, only 1060 grams total, height is only 159mm, performs similar with NH-D15, yet quiter and cheaper and better RAM clearance than D15.

Get the El Macho!

DSC_0604.jpg

8ac5d4bb_wkJrgnK.jpeg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 minute ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, huge bulky like a bike engine block, despite its size it's not that heavy, only 1060 grams total, height is only 159mm, performs similar with NH-D15, yet quiter and cheaper and better RAM clearance than D15.

Get the El Macho!

yeah fir the price its is great, but quality wise not near noctua. Also the perf is nice but noctua is still superior 

@InvisibleRasta it really depends on your needs. If you just like to see some lower themself go hyper 212 and buy something else form the left over money

26 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yeah fir the price its is great, but quality wise not near noctua. Also the perf is nice but noctua is still superior 

@InvisibleRasta it really depends on your needs. If you just like to see some lower themself go hyper 212 and buy something else form the left over money

If OP wants the best price at D15 performance level, this one is the best choice I can think of. I have 2 systems which runs Noctua NH-U12S and NH-D15, so I have no doubt about D15 quality..

But again, if the OP wants to get the best price with performance similar to D15, El Macho is the best candidate while it's cheaper, same performance, lighter weight, zero RAM clearance issue, 159mm height which can fit inside any mid-tower case. All those features are great regarding the price and its performance, which D15 can't offer. But why I still choose D15 is because I'm looking for aesthetics to swap it to black chromax NF-A15 fans and add NA-HC4 black on the heatsink to get slick neat simple elegant black theme..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

1 minute ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

If OP want the best value and at D15 performance level, this one is the best choice I can think of. I have 2 systems which runs Noctua Nh-U12S and NH-D15, so I have no doubt about D15 quality..

But if the OP wants to get the best price with performance similar to D15, El Macho is the best candidate while it's cheaper, same performance, lighter weight, zero RAM clearance issue, 159mm height which can fit inside any mid-tower case. All those feature are great regarding the price and its performance, which D15 can't over. But why I still chose D15 is because I'm looking for aesthetics to swap it to black chromax NF-A15 fans and add NA-HC4 black on the heatsink to get slick neat simple elegant black theme..

yes sure, also post a pic when you dod your mods!

idd wrap it up like this

Best of the best: D15

price/perf: EL Macho

get the job done well: Shadow rock

cheapo: H212

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yes sure, also post a pic when you dod your mods!

idd wrap it up like this

Best of the best: D15

price/perf: EL Macho

get the job done well: Shadow rock

cheapo: H212

I'm not with my PC right now and didn't get any pics of it. But there are many examples on the internet..

Here's some of them.. It's really nice to stare at it whole day..

noctua-nh-d15-am4-chromax.jpg

81zbOKh1AwL._SL1500_.jpg

12.png

mgnbpjf8jhy01.jpg

All of these pics are not mine

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

3 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I'm not with my PC right now and didn't get any pics of it. But there are many examples on the internet..

Here's some of them.. It's really nice to stare at it whole day..

noctua-nh-d15-am4-chromax.jpg

81zbOKh1AwL._SL1500_.jpg

12.png

mgnbpjf8jhy01.jpg

All of these pics are not mine

well for a aircooled right this is pretty much p03rn

1 minute ago, InvisibleRasta said:

This would be the noctua dh15 colored in mate black? Looks niceee

but this get really expensive those chroma parts are $$$

10 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

well for a aircooled right this is pretty much p03rn

Hahahaha.. I know right..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

Yeah i can imagine it would go waay over my budget and iterest to be honest i care about performance more that aesthetics as i dont want to waste money on lights... i alredy got enought light hanging on the ceilings to light my house ;) 

would a liquid cooling aio perform good in the price range of the noctua dh 15 or not?

Just now, InvisibleRasta said:

Yeah i can imagine it would go waay over my budget and iterest to be honest i care about performance more that aesthetics as i dont want to waste money on lights... i alredy got enought light hanging on the ceilings to light my house ;) 

lol then go for mr. el machos

9 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

but this get really expensive those chroma parts are $$$

It is.. I spent $160 total on it, if you want it to be cheaper, get D15S or used D15 and swap it to full black like pics above..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

The elmacho bodybuilding guy here in italy is 15  euro cheaper than the dh15 so its out of the game for me... arghh so hard to decide... i think ill just decide between getting the cheap coolermaster 212 or just spend those extra bucks and get myself the ling noctua 15.

would a liquid cooling aio perform good in the price range of the noctua dh 15 or not?

13 minutes ago, InvisibleRasta said:

Yes, I understand. If you dont care about aesthetics and want high level performance, get El Macho instead of D15 or any liquid coolers. AIOs are much more expensive but some of them can be outperformed by El Macho and D15 which are the cheaper cooler than AIOs.

I'm very aware of how much I paid for what I will get about my NH-D15, performace and aesthetics elegance at the highest level of air cooler class without having aggressive looks, but simply elegant, unlike the other black air coolers, and also without involving RGB on the cooler itself. So I must say "No complains.. No regrets!"

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

Yeah i finally decided. Noctua dh15... what made me decide o spend the extra bucks is the fact that after the winter i am moving to spain, in seville and it can get to 50C there in the summer... so yeah if i get the cm 212 now i then might have to waste the 60 to get a new one...wouldnt make any

sense.

thank you again for the help in my struggling decisions

1 hour ago, InvisibleRasta said:

The elmacho bodybuilding guy here in italy is 15  euro cheaper than the dh15 so its out of the game for me... arghh so hard to decide... i think ill just decide between getting the cheap coolermaster 212 or just spend those extra bucks and get myself the ling noctua 15.

In my country El Macho price is closer to NH-U12S, only $5 more than U12S but $22 cheaper than D15.

U12S is $58, El Macho is $63 while D15 is $85 here in my country.

I paid almost twice as much as the D15 itself to make it all black, but the stock NF-A15 fans are unused, and I don't mind to sell them, or just keep them for future upgrade if I want to replace the NH-U12S to Thermalright Macho Zero. I like to experiment with mix and matching heatsinks with other fans

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs: