4k 120 tvs?

Rdpruitt

ok so I have looked into this about a month ago, but I remember that I couldn't find any 4k tvs that had true 120hz displays. all of them had the fake numbers( for example LGs Trumotion). but according to this article by rtings,(https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion) who are really big in the display review area, it says that some 4k displays really do have 120hz. if this is the case, then why is the BFGD form Nvidia such a big deal? is it the G-sync it has? or do the numbers in the article mean they can get 120hz in 1080p but not when they are using 4k resolution? 

so if there are any tvs that you KNOW can output 120hz while in 4k, please link them. not the wasabi mango though, the color accuracy isn't good enough for my photo editing. 

or does anyone know if a tv exists that can do 4k at 60hz, but it can to 120hz in 1440p? I think that should be good. edit photos it 4k and game in 1440 at 120hz(or 144hz). 

Price is not a problem and I would prefer a tv anywhere from 45 inches to 55.

Edited by Rdpruitt
added questions about tv recommendations

No display interface on any TV is going to support an input capable of 4k 120hz, it's simply too much bandwith for something like HDMI 2.0. However, TVs with true 120Hz panels can be utilized by frame interpolation to give the appearance of a smoother image even at 4k, or at native 120Hz from a PC at 1080p.

Maybe once HDMI 2.1 becomes commonplace we might start to see native 4K120 but definitely not until then.

HDMI 2.0/2.0b has enough bandwidth for 1080p 120Hz without color compression. 4K  120Hz requires 4:2:0 color compression. If it's HDMI 2.1, then it can do 4K 120Hz without color compression. The big deal with BFGD is that if they're DisplayPort 1.4 compliant, then it can do 4K 120Hz without color compression.

It's also likely these TVs won't even accept a 120Hz input and that 120Hz was for something else.

EDIT: DisplayPort 1.3 can also do 4K 120Hz without color compression

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

HDMI 2.0/2.0b has enough bandwidth for 1080p 120Hz without color compression. 4K  120Hz requires 4:2:0 color compression. If it's HDMI 2.1, then it can do 4K 120Hz without color compression. The big deal with BFGD is that if they're DisplayPort 1.4 compliant, then it can do 4K 120Hz without color compression.

It's also likely these TVs won't even accept a 120Hz input and that 120Hz was for something else.

My LG 60" 4K can do native 120HZ at 1080p, but Ubuntu is the only OS I've tested that can actually detect/output that mode. Windows maxes out at 60 for whatever reason. Works great in Ubuntu tho.

2 minutes ago, snowfox99 said:

My LG 60" 4K can do native 120HZ at 1080p, but Ubuntu is the only OS I've tested that can actually detect/output that mode. Windows maxes out at 60 for whatever reason. Works great in Ubuntu tho.

does windows support more that 60 on the high refresh rate moniters? how does that make sense? does it just not let hdmi do more that 60?

Just now, Rdpruitt said:

does windows support more that 60 on the high refresh rate moniters? how does that make sense?

I'm using Windows right now on my 100hz 34" Crossover, so it's not a Windows issue. My guess is that LG doesn't expose that display mode on the EDID data, but Ubuntu (and probably other linux distros but haven't tested) doesn't care and will output it anyway.

1 minute ago, snowfox99 said:

I'm using Windows right now on my 100hz 34" Crossover, so it's not a Windows issue. My guess is that LG doesn't expose that display mode on the EDID data, but Ubuntu (and probably other linux distros but haven't tested) doesn't care and will output it anyway.

If that's the case, you can probably force it to accept it via a custom resolution through the driver control panel.

Just now, snowfox99 said:

oh ok. but do you know if there are any 4k tvs that do 60hz, and can reduce the resolution to 1440p at 120hz or even better, 144hz? I read that hdmi 2.0 can support 1440 at 144hz

Just now, Rdpruitt said:

oh ok. but do you know if there are any 4k tvs that do 60hz, and can reduce the resolution to 1440p at 120hz or even better, 144hz? I read that hdmi 2.0 can support 1440 at 144hz

Not that I know of, no. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If that's the case, you can probably force it to accept it via a custom resolution through the driver control panel.

Yeah probably, but I prefer Linux for HTPC usage anyway so not a huge deal

ok. I'll look into it. I know that there was a monitor that Linus reviewed that could do 4k hdr at 120hz, and you could sacrifice HDR for 144hz. I think it was an Asus. I don't remember the name if it. I was wondering if there was something like that for a tv. (but at 1440p or something.) all I want is a 55 inch monitor. how hard can it be!? lol. guess ill wait for BFGD. im getting a rtx 2080 ti and Core i9 9900k soon. right now I have a 1080p 60hz 42 inch tv. not the best specs. BFGD are still a 1/2 year away. 

2 minutes ago, Rdpruitt said:

ok. I'll look into it. I know that there was a monitor that Linus reviewed that could do 4k hdr at 120hz, and you could sacrifice HDR for 144hz. I think it was an Asus. I don't remember the name if it. I was wondering if there was something like that for a tv. (but at 1440p or something.) all I want is a 55 inch monitor. how hard can it be!? lol. guess ill wait for BFGD. im getting a rtx 2080 ti and Core i9 9900k soon. right now I have a 1080p 60hz 42 inch tv. not the best specs. BFGD are still a 1/2 year away. 

I just want something with a 21:9 aspect ratio and 100-144hz that's larger than 35"

yeah a really wide monitor might work for me too. but I'm definatly used to gaming on a bigger screen and I love it. I cant understand how people game on screens that are less than 25 inches. I would like to try a 27 inch. that might be big enough, but id prefer a wall mounted 55 inch

There are a good bunch of TV's out now that can do 120hz, but only at 1080p. 4k is imited to 60hz.

Check out ritings.com and see if anything matches the specs u want in regards to size and price.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |