The LTT "Feeling"

napper_tapper

Hi all, 

First of all this post is NOT a swipe at LTT or Linus or anyone else. I just think that the "feeling" behind LTT videos has changed over the years. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but when I first started watching Linus Tech Tips, they were in the house and all the videos had a personal feeling to them, they felt more fun and due to that I felt more of a connection to the content. 

Nowadays I feel that LTT videos have become much more clinical, they seem to be geared more commercially, which is fine as LMG is a business after all and everyone has got to eat, but I don't have the same feeling back from the new content and this may be an issue solely related to me, so is there anyone else that thinks the "feeling" of LTT videos has changed overtime? 

Just wondering :)

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (X470)  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X  RAM: Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB 3733MHz
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD  PSU: Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
Monitor: Philips 65" OLED 4K UHD w/HDR  Headphones: Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4
Cooling: 6 x 120mm Corsair LL120  Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 GB
Mouse: Logitec MK270

It is for sure a different feeling. You've got a bunch of new writers, new gear, new set. That's bound to happen. What I appreciate are all the people behind it. I don't know if you're a floatplane subscriber, but there are behind the scenes from time to time and they're always putting their all into it. Everyone is always working (and having fun doing it) to put out a product that is in line with their vision for LMG's future. Keeping that in mind, I can appreciate the changes happening.

2 minutes ago, rmurph17 said:

Hi all, 

First of all this post is NOT a swipe at LTT or Linus or anyone else. I just think that the "feeling" behind LTT videos has changed over the years. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but when I first started watching Linus Tech Tips, they were in the house and all the videos had a personal feeling to them, they felt more fun and due to that I felt more of a connection to the content. 

Nowadays I feel that LTT videos have become much more clinical, they seem to be geared more commercially, which is fine as LMG is a business after all and everyone has got to eat, but I don't have the same feeling back from the new content and this may be an issue solely related to me, so is there anyone else that thinks the "feeling" of LTT videos has changed overtime? 

LTT has become much more entertaining I find. I wouldn't use their reviews or guides as the be all and end all, and would likely go to GamersNexus for in depth reviews but LTT has changed. 

I find their videos much more enjoyable, with fun experiments and different styles of reviews, their older stuff feels much more amateur now and never would have survived the way it was going.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

yhea, if feel the same.

But the overall quality of the videos improved tremendously! And personally I think the there are still "real LTT style videos" like ScrapyardWars or the videos where they try different shizz like the self-made cooler etc

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, Shally said:

LTT has become much more entertaining I find. I wouldn't use their reviews or guides as the be all and end all, and would likely go to GamersNexus for in depth reviews but LTT has changed. 

I find their videos much more enjoyable, with fun experiments and different styles of reviews, their older stuff feels much more amateur now and never would have survived the way it was going.

Correct!
Lot has more or les become entertainment for me. For the real reviews and lastly decision making ill go to GN

I don't really watch many of their videos anymore. That's just the way the cookie crumbles though; they've found that catering to a younger crowd and going for more overview than review is better for their channel. *shrugs* There's lots of other channels out there to get what you're looking for.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

@King Poet and @Shally and everyone else who replies after this, if you don't mind can you let me know your demographic? I am actually interested in how different demographics perceive these changes. 

Personally I preferred the more amateurish approach, it was very homely and had a trustworthy element to it. That's not saying I still don't enjoy their content, I am merely highlighting I get a different personal response to it. 

My demographic:

Age = 30

Income = Approx. $78,000 USD p/a,

Location = United Kingdom,

Education Level = PhD,

Hobbies = 100% Confirmed Weeb

Techyness = Noob

Gaming = Console Peasant (until this Saturday)

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Correct!
Lot has more or les become entertainment for me. For the real reviews and lastly decision making ill go to GN

I find GN very...boring, but when it comes to what  spend my money on I'll pick boring over mis-informed 

1 minute ago, rmurph17 said:

@King Poet and @Shally and everyone else who replies after this, if you don't mind can you let me know your demographic? I am actually interested in how different demographics perceive these changes. 

Er I'm 19 from Ireland, I'm working as an intern for the next few months for Uni, should have a BA in 18 months. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

4 minutes ago, rmurph17 said:

Personally I preferred the more amateurish approach, it was very homely and had a trustworthy element to it. That's not saying I still don't enjoy their content, I am merely highlighting I get a different personal response to it. 

My demographic:

Age = 30

Income = Approx. $78,000 USD p/a,

Location = United Kingdom,

Education Level = PhD,

Hobbies = 100% Confirmed Weeb

Techyness = Noob

Gaming = Console Peasant (until this Saturday)

25 germany B.Sc Physics, mega nerd and techsavy income: pretty standard 

2 minutes ago, Shally said:

I find GN very...boring, but when it comes to what  spend my money on I'll pick boring over mis-informed 

Er I'm 19 from Ireland, I'm working as an intern for the next few months for Uni, should have a BA in 18 months. 

Nice one! Good luck with your BA! I feel old as shit now. 

I also find GN very boring, his videos are super long but I also like how they are super in-depth. I normally watch YouTube videos on console so I can't see his timecodes where to skip to, which is annoying but obviously not his fault.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

25 germany B.Sc Physics, mega nerd and techsavy income: pretty standard 

"Mega nerd" ? I'll try getting on floatplane to see their behind the scenes content.

Personally i think YouTube as a whole has lost it's 'Homemade' feeling  It's all big channels now with paid for likes and subs

36 London 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, rmurph17 said:

I also find GN very boring, his videos are super long but I also like how they are super in-depth. I normally watch YouTube videos on console so I can't see his timecodes where to skip to, which is annoying but obviously not his fault.

Yeah but he does A+ content. He is really awesome and in depth. look at his principleTech interview. This takes balls :D

4 minutes ago, rmurph17 said:

I am actually interested in how different demographics perceive these changes. 

I do miss the old "unstructured" style videos, but I do appreciate how hard they're working to get videos out on three channels.

Income: Not alot?

Education: Still in High School

Hobbies: Gaming, Pc building

Techyness: Moderate

Gaming: Pc

CPU: Intel I5-7500 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240

Motherboard: ASRock B250M PRO 4

Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper Elite

Gpu: Asus Dual 1060 3GB

Storage: Corsair 120GB M.2 NVME

500GB Samsung 860 EVO

1TB WD Blue

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+Bronze

Case: Phanteks P350X

Monitors: HP Omen 25in 144hz

and some 25in Acer

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headphones= VModa Crossfade Wireless(but used wired)

Speakers: Some janky speakers I jerry-rigged

On a side note Joker's vids are getting really slick now and quite in-depth.  Maybe check him out

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Personally i think YouTube as a whole has lost it's 'Homemade' feeling  It's all big channels now with paid for likes and subs

36 London 

I agree, every single channel now always hits you with the standard YT ads, then ads built into their video, then points you at merch, points you at affilliate links, etc. It's actually really overwhelming but again, I do realise that these are businesses at the end of the day and despite being jealous of guys like PewDiePie and Ninja who make $500,000+ per month, I applaud them too for being entrepreneurs. 

Thank god there's someone else in my age bracket. 

6 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yeah but he does A+ content. He is really awesome and in depth. look at his principleTech interview. This takes balls :D

Absolutely agree on the PT interview! Hat tip to GN.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzleworth1 said:

I do miss the old "unstructured" style videos, but I do appreciate how hard they're working to get videos out on three channels.

Income: Not alot?

Education: Still in High School

Hobbies: Gaming, Pc building

Techyness: Moderate

Gaming: Pc

Just curious what your PC specs are, when I was 17 I used my Dad's old Amiga haha!

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

On a side note Joker's vids are getting really slick now and quite in-depth.  Maybe check him out

Pardon my ignorance but who? 

Oh and I really, really wish LTT did GeekSports again, the volleyball episode is literally one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen on any platform.

7 hours ago, rmurph17 said:

Hi all, 

LTT videos are more clickbait

LTT videos with their silly facial expressions to get more views, hence get more money to pay for the warehouse, the salaries, the benefits, the utlilities, insurance. LTT is on cruise control now, they fling out filler videos.  Back then they were probably more hungry then they are now.

I watch tubers who do not sell out. They are out there. I am binge watching a few right now. One guy who takes aparts tools, is very knowledgable in the plastics used and the quality. He just bought a $200k cnc machine. The guy knows his shit, every aspect of everything. Amazing, absolutely amazing. The thing with him is, you never see his face, only his hands. Its a cool angle. Goes well beyond Linus' take apart videos back it the bach pad.

Did any of you notice how unkept that house was?

I mean there was literally stuff everywhere LOLOLOL

The first one I saw was of his staircase, it looked like a a hurricane went through and placed everything at the baseboards.

Here is my conclusion. There are only so many video's you can do, so the recycle filler factor is quite huge t.b.h.

13 hours ago, Canada EH said:

LTT videos are more clickbait

LTT videos with their silly facial expressions to get more views, hence get more money to pay for the warehouse, the salaries, the benefits, the utlilities, insurance. LTT is on cruise control now, they fling out filler videos.  Back then they were probably more hungry then they are now.

I watch tubers who do not sell out. They are out there. I am binge watching a few right now. One guy who takes aparts tools, is very knowledgable in the plastics used and the quality. He just bought a $200k cnc machine. The guy knows his shit, every aspect of everything. Amazing, absolutely amazing. The thing with him is, you never see his face, only his hands. Its a cool angle. Goes well beyond Linus' take apart videos back it the bach pad.

Did any of you notice how unkept that house was?

I mean there was literally stuff everywhere LOLOLOL

The first one I saw was of his staircase, it looked like a a hurricane went through and placed everything at the baseboards.

Here is my conclusion. There are only so many video's you can do, so the recycle filler factor is quite huge t.b.h.

I get where you're coming from on your points, but don't you think it's a little harsh to say that Linus sold out? He likely took decisions for the benefit of his business, he does have a significant amount of people on his payroll now. I also think Linus himself doesn't make bags of cash himself since his channel is tiny compared to the real money makers like PewDiePie (>500,000 USD a month income) and he has all that overhead to pay for whereas Felix is just Felix and his editor.

I guess you're talking about AvE (Arduino vs Evil is the original channel name), I subscribe to him as well as Clickspring, Abom and ThisOldTony.

His CNC didn't cost him anywhere close to $200,000 USD, for that much money you could buy four HAAS VF2SS milling centres....

https://www.haascnc.com/machines/vertical-mills/vf-series.html

1 hour ago, rmurph17 said:

I get where you're coming from on your points, but don't you think it's a little harsh to say that Linus sold out? He likely took decisions for the benefit of his business, he does have a significant amount of people on his payroll now. I also think Linus himself doesn't make bags of cash himself since his channel is tiny compared to the real money makers like PewDiePie (>500,000 USD a month income) and he has all that overhead to pay for whereas Felix is just Felix and his editor.

I guess you're talking about AvE (Arduino vs Evil is the original channel name), I subscribe to him as well as Clickspring, Abom and ThisOldTony.

His CNC didn't cost him anywhere close to $200,000 USD, for that much money you could buy four HAAS VF2SS milling centres....

https://www.haascnc.com/machines/vertical-mills/vf-series.html

I guess I have a cynical point-of-view, but "selling out" can be seen as synonymous to "making decisions for the benefit of the business", because literally the sole purpose of a business is to MAKE MONEY. If Linus decides to focus purely on profits and growing his company, then it is not entirely unreasonable to say he sold out, per se.

As for LinusTechTips as a channel, they never were technical experts, so seeing them focusing on entertainment is a very understandable choice. Unfortunately, entertainment and catering to a wider audience naturally means more clickbait and more technically shallow videos. That is the reality of LTT now - it's an more of an entertainment rather than a tech channel. How you feel about it, well that's personal.

This may not be a bad thing. It is great for LTT and all of their employees. It's great for people who want light content. I still occasionally watch LTT, but I have been slowly moving away towards other YouTube tech channels that cater better for my tastes.

EDIT: The one thing that DOES frustrate me is the clickbait on LTT. I get it why they do it. But they don't HAVE to do it. It looks so bad an cheap. Plenty of other YouTubers like Marques Brownlee do away with the clickbait and have professional looking thumbnails. But I guess LTT is sticking to their creative style of... whatever it is right now.

8 hours ago, rmurph17 said:

Well he did say it was a mortgage, so I assumed he is probably out in the stix because his talk about going into town and other statements. I love his lingo, and the snowflakes get all bunch up, its funny.

Demographic:

Preffered OS: MacOS

Preferred Car: Peugeot 

Race: Pakeha

City: Dunedin

City or Rural: Rural

How many Sheep: More than several.

Dislikes: North Island, People who live in the North Island, Tourists, Ford. 

Cant stand: Auckland, People who Vape, People who talk in the library, Wellington, People in spandex who bike, Tall poppies.

Absolutely loves: Cars, Fishing, Farming, Immunobiology. 

Dream: Being called ‘Doctor’.

Social Status: In a relationship.

Favourite Netflix: Brooklyn 99

Favourite Actor: Johnny Depp

Favourite Artist: AC/DC

Favourite Food: Steak with mushroom sauce

Favourite Drink: Gin and Tonic, Pale Ale on a sunny day, Goon.

I like Ike the older videos more, but Linus has a business to grow, and so must make comprimises. He needs to look after his employees, it’s a responsibility. 

16 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Well he did say it was a mortgage, so I assumed he is probably out in the stix because his talk about going into town and other statements. I love his lingo, and the snowflakes get all bunch up, its funny.

I love his videos, especially the ones about all the angry pixies. You should check out his subreddit, it's got some great content too.

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Demographic:

Preffered OS: MacOS

Preferred Car: Peugeot 

Race: Pakeha

City: Dunedin

City or Rural: Rural

How many Sheep: More than several.

Dislikes: North Island, People who live in the North Island, Tourists, Ford. 

Cant stand: Auckland, People who Vape, People who talk in the library, Wellington, People in spandex who bike, Tall poppies.

Absolutely loves: Cars, Fishing, Farming, Immunobiology. 

Dream: Being called ‘Doctor’.

Social Status: In a relationship.

Favourite Netflix: Brooklyn 99

Favourite Actor: Johnny Depp

Favourite Artist: AC/DC

Favourite Food: Steak with mushroom sauce

Favourite Drink: Gin and Tonic, Pale Ale on a sunny day, Goon.

I like Ike the older videos more, but Linus has a business to grow, and so must make comprimises. He needs to look after his employees, it’s a responsibility. 

Haha! Actually lol'd at this demographic breakdown, now if only you would post an analysis of your DNA, dental records and bank account log-in details that would be great.

Car: BMW 750iL (F01 Model),

Race: Caucasian - White European (of Nordic/ Irish heritage),

City: Glasgow (suburban),

How many sheep: None,

Dislikes: The rest of humanity,

Can't stand: People who vape and Vegans,

Loves: Getting laid,

Social Status: Just out a relationship,

Netflix: House of Cards,

Actor: Tom Hanks,

Artist: In Flames,

Food: Steak with peppercorn sauce,

Drink: Whisky or Rum.

11 hours ago, rmurph17 said:

You should check out his subreddit, it's got some great content too.

Link me up and I will check it out, I normally dont do reddit, ever really unless I am searching for an answer and it happens to be in there.