Terrible idea

Inkadence

So I had an idea that is both cool and terrible. I was looking at rasberry pi Android Auto builds for a homemade car stereo setup and discovered the lattepanda alpha board with windows 10 and even m.2. Would it be possible to build a fully functional 720p gaming PC in the dashboard of your car?  Not that I condone driving while gaming but it would give the passenger something to do lol. Would the power draw of a low profile 1050ti be too much for a car battery? Maybe an electric car would be better or a second battery.  Would anyone want to see Linus try this? 

2 minutes ago, Inkadence said:

So I had an idea that is both cool and terrible. I was looking at rasberry pi Android Auto builds for a homemade car stereo setup and discovered the lattepanda alpha board with windows 10 and even m.2. Would it be possible to build a fully functional 720p gaming PC in the dashboard of your car?  Not that I condone driving while gaming but it would give the passenger something to do lol. Would the power draw of a low profile 1050ti be too much for a car battery? Maybe an electric car would be better or a second battery.  Would anyone want to see Linus try this? 

not a bad idea, but this is why consoles exist. and if you want to do something like this, get a second battery for it

You could literally have answered this by simply typing "car pc" into YouTube.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

No offense Alex but I think you misunderstood my concept. I'm talking about a full size video card mini PC that fits in a double din car stereo slot. The builds I have seen on YouTube were either full sized pc's that had to be stashed in a backseat or needed serious car modding to fit, or mini pc's without a real video card connected to a regular car stereo with hdmi. I'm talking full 60fps gaming with as close to stock vehicle as possible. 

I think you can squeeze a ITX motherboard in that space .... as far as I can google, that space is standardized to 180mm x 50mm (ISO 7736: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736 )  and an ITX motherboard is 170x170mm

You can put a Ryzen 2400g and a big flat copper heatsink with some heatpipes (laptop style) to be less than 50mm high and 2-3 x 40mm fans to blow air through the whole thing and you got your 60p gaming.

The whole system would use up to around 100-150w though, which can be a bit hard on the battery, so adding a second battery would be good idea

On 10/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, Inkadence said:

No offense Alex but I think you misunderstood my concept. I'm talking about a full size video card mini PC that fits in a double din car stereo slot. The builds I have seen on YouTube were either full sized pc's that had to be stashed in a backseat or needed serious car modding to fit, or mini pc's without a real video card connected to a regular car stereo with hdmi. I'm talking full 60fps gaming with as close to stock vehicle as possible. 

Well that's just logic, you can't fit an ATX motherboard in the dashboard without some serious DIY.  But why would you need a full-sized PC anyway when ITX should be just as good?

I'd imagine venting a high-end GPU could be "interesting", you'd probably want to vent out of the car and doing so without allowing insects and damp into your GPU could also be tricky.

Ultimately like anything, it COULD be done but its not going to be simple.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7