Which lens should I buy first?

warzkaz

Yesterday I bought my first DSLR which is a used 1100d with 4750 shutter count for 150$ and it came with 18-55mm/3.5-5.6 kit lens.
The lens is not in the best condition and leaves a lot to be desired. I want to buy my first non kit lens soon and 4 lenses are within my budget which are 
1-Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens 
2-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens
3-Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens 
4-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
I will probably buy all of them eventually but in the foreseeable future I can buy just one.
which should I buy? which one is most versatile?  

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

8 minutes ago, warzkaz said:

I yesterday I bought my first DSLR which is a used 1100d with 4750 shutter count for 150$ and it came with 18-55mm/3.5-5.6 kit lens.
The lens is not in the best condition and leaves a lot to be desired. I want to buy my first non kit lens soon and 4 lenses are within my budget which are 
1-Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens 
2-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens
3-Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens 
4-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
I will probably buy all of them eventually but in the foreseeable future I can buy just one.
which should I buy? which one is most versatile?  

The 50mm f/1.8.

It's inexpensive and so very useful. There is a reason they are called "the nifty fifty"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Get a good prime lens as a starter.

Ideally, get something around 50mm with an f/1.8 aperture or lower, such as the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. There's a reason why these prime lenses are known as the "Nifty Fifty". They are incredibly versatile while offering great image quality.

There's one thing you have to take note. The EOS 1100D has a crop factor of 1.6x due to using an APS-C sized sensor (most APS-C cameras have a 1.5x crop factor, but Canon APS-C sensors have a 1.6x crop). So with a 50mm lens, your actual focal length with the crop factor applied is closer to 80mm, which makes it a good portrait lens.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The 55-250 is not imo worth the money in general, and if you are indeed serious about the thing, enough to consider all of them, then it makes no sense to go for it, now or ever.

The 24mm is a crop sensor lens, if you were to ever move to 4k, it wouldn't mount on a dslr, but given the move to mirrorless, by the time you do move to FF if at all, because it certainly isn't necessary, that may be a moot point.

You also need to consider your crop factor, which means all of these would be much tighter. The 50mm would even be too tight at an 80mm equiv. In that sense, I might have gone with the 40mm, or even the 24mm which is a more standard focal length. But that 1.8 aperture on the 50mm, size, how sharp it is for the price, its an excellent little lens for most people, and don't see why you shouldn't own one, unless you have a 50 1.2 anyway, even then though you could use the spare.

At 80mm equiv, the 50 1.8 will be most useful for portraiture. The 24mm and 40mm will be more universal depending on how you like to shoot.

The 24mm though might be the cheapest of the 3 used. I remeber looking for a 40mm breifly and prices were half in the used market, so difeinitely do that.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

• 2 weeks later...

I'd highly suggest a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.

I own a bunch of different lenses (including a 35 and 50) but the 35mm ends up on my camera far more than anything else. The sharpness keeps me coming back and a non zoom lens makes you more thoughtful about your composition. 

NewEgg Community Moderator since 2007.