PC help!

Hi, My name is Matthew 

I need some help. 

I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade gpu on my current pc or build a new one.

My specs are 

i5 3450

gt 620 

8gb ddr3-1600mhz

I'm thinking about upgrading to a gtx 1060 6gb for $145: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IMZTEBK/?tag=pcp0f-20

The possible new build is: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/MWJH15/saved/TFP9Jx

This would be my first real gaming pc seeing my gt620 can't run anything but Minecraft or CS:GO 

also maybe case suggestions because this was a prebuilt asus essentio series and the case is ugly

buy the gpu

if it's not enough then buy a new pc and transfer the new gpu into it.

this will be your most cost effective option , you have to buy a gpu regardless so give it a shot

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

buy the gpu

if it's not enough then buy a new pc and transfer the new gpu into it.

this will be your most cost effective option , you have to buy a gpu regardless so give it a shot

Thanks

9 minutes ago, MWJH15 said:

also maybe case suggestions because this was a prebuilt asus essentio series and the case is ugly

Do you have the model number for the pre built?

Check your power supply and see if it has 6/8 pin PCIe power supply cables. You will need them for a gtx1060.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The Ram in your PC Part Picker list is not compatible with that Motherboard.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Do you have the model number for the pre built?

Check your power supply and see if it has 6/8 pin PCIe power supply cables. You will need them for a gtx1060.

ASUS CM6870

Just now, Chickenfans said:

The Ram in your PC Part Picker list is not compatible with that Motherboard.

i forgot to save the fixed part list

6 minutes ago, MWJH15 said:

ASUS CM6870

Can't find info on the PSU used...

You'll likely need to replace the power supply as well. A Corsair cx450m can be had for just under $50.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Can't find info on the PSU used...

You'll likely need to replace the power supply as well. A Corsair cx450m can be had for just under $50.

psu is a 350 watt acbel

I just calculated it, and from the GT620 to the GTX1060 is a 95W difference, you will need a 450W or higher to power your system.
Also, to be honest, function over form is my opinion for cases. Though I think RGB is a waste of money, so take what you will from that. Especially on your budget, spend your money on power, not frills.

1 minute ago, Kiyometa said:

I just calculated it, and from the GT620 to the GTX1060 is a 95W difference, you will need a 450W or higher to power your system

ya i noticed that to so i did this:

Okay, to be honest for your PSU, the load wattage is 380W on the calculated build. but considering natural degredation of PSU's. You usually want a 10% ceiling for unexpected decrease of output/increased needs, so that would be 418W, at that point, you are basically getting a 450W.

4 minutes ago, MWJH15 said:

ya i noticed that to so i did this:

Why not a Silverstone Redline 06 instead for your case? not a pretty, but near the top for out of the box performer. Or a Coolermaster Masterbox 5 if you want to save a few bucks, its not as good as the R06, but its still a good case.

Okay, Silverstone cases are SUPER overpriced in Canada, so nevermind on that.

17 minutes ago, Kiyometa said:

Okay, Silverstone cases are SUPER overpriced in Canada, so nevermind on that.

Coolermaster master of is nice but I have wanted a corsair case since I returned my spec alpha in December 2017

Just now, MWJH15 said:

Coolermaster master of is nice but I have wanted a corsair case since I returned my spec alpha in December 2017

Fair enough, after all it is YOUR computer. I'm just at a point in my life where practicality is King.