ASUS Laptop "plugged in, charging", still 0%

As stated in the title, my ASUS Q524U laptop I got at a pawn shop yesterday is not wanting to charge, and I'm unsure why. I've opened the laptop and the battery and connector look brand new. I've attempted reinstalling the battery drivers, and running it with only the AC adapter plugged in. I'm unsure if I really need to fork over the $55 for one on EBay or if there's an easier solution.

Untitled.png

16 minutes ago, Chriscosmo12 said:

As stated in the title, my ASUS Q524U laptop I got at a pawn shop yesterday is not wanting to charge, and I'm unsure why. I've opened the laptop and the battery and connector look brand new. I've attempted reinstalling the battery drivers, and running it with only the AC adapter plugged in. I'm unsure if I really need to fork over the $55 for one on EBay or if there's an easier solution.

Untitled.png

I don't think it matters that it looks brand new. It looks brand new because the insides were never touched. What matters is the battery is dead.

14 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

I don't think it matters that it looks brand new. It looks brand new because the insides were never touched. What matters is the battery is dead.

Alright, so a replacement is probably necessary?

34 minutes ago, Chriscosmo12 said:

Untitled.png

i have almost the sameproblem.. mine says “plugged in, not charging” and every IT i ask says i need a new battery, but im not gonna spend money to repair a 7 year old laptop lol

so yeah, id say battery replacement

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

does it still work if the ac is unplugged? if it does, then its a calibration problem. what you need to do is run on battery, let it run out of battery completely. then plug in ac and turn on. 

Just now, Chriscosmo12 said:

Alright, so a replacement is probably necessary?

That depends. You have to think if its worth it or not. 

1 minute ago, saksham said:

does it still work if the ac is unplugged? if it does, then its a calibration problem. what you need to do is run on battery, let it run out of battery completely. then plug in ac and turn on. 

Try this.

56 minutes ago, Chriscosmo12 said:

Untitled.png

What did the pawn shop say when you told them about the battery being dead?

Did you atleast see it boot up, then turn it off, take the battery out, put the battery in, and turn it on?

Another trick is to see the battery charge %, unplug and play something power hungry and see if it goes down. Another sign the battery is weak.

I would just open that dead battery up, and buy new 18650's and put them in there. I would buy the 2.9Ah ones.

You could ask for a refund from the pawn shop, or a discount.

There is a number of reasons this can happen

- Dead battery

- OS is set to only charge up to 0%, sounds dumb but its a setting and I have seen this happen before

- Charger is faulty

The latter being the most likely, do you have a universal laptop charger? or a known good charger that is compatible? Give that a try and see if the problem persists.

50 minutes ago, saksham said:

Nope. It will instantly turn off as if there's no battery.

19 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

There is a number of reasons this can happen

- Dead battery

- OS is set to only charge up to 0%, sounds dumb but its a setting and I have seen this happen before

- Charger is faulty

The latter being the most likely, do you have a universal laptop charger? or a known good charger that is compatible? Give that a try and see if the problem persists.

I brought it to the computer repair store I work at earlier today and used the universal charger as at first I thought it was the wrong wattage or something similar to what Dell likes to do with its laptops. Still did the same thing.

46 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What did the pawn shop say when you told them about the battery being dead?

Did you atleast see it boot up, then turn it off, take the battery out, put the battery in, and turn it on?

Another trick is to see the battery charge %, unplug and play something power hungry and see if it goes down. Another sign the battery is weak.

I would just open that dead battery up, and buy new 18650's and put them in there. I would buy the 2.9Ah ones.

You could ask for a refund from the pawn shop, or a discount.

Their technician already knew about it and there was a sticker on the screen saying "Needs new battery", probably why it was being sold for $300 for such good specs and in practically new condition. I booted it up, uninstalled the battery driver, turned it off and unplugged the battery then plugged it in and turned it on, as one article mentioned doing. Unplugging it while its on kills the machine. Also, not too sure about tearing a battery open to replace the cells..

3 hours ago, Chriscosmo12 said:

Their technician

Pawn shops do not have technician, they have keyboard warriors sitting behind the glass display case.

If it was a great deal for the price you paid and you did your due diligence then that is great. Knowing how much a battery would cost before buying the item is good to do. There has got to be legitimate suppliers of laptop batteries, if not ebay warriors will work too. First place to look is the manufacturers website. They would be expensive compared to the generic's basement hobby craft coming out of, well anywhere in the world. Batteries are very simple. If you can open it up and get to the battery itself then you are ahead of the game. I doubt they make them that way though. You probably have some good cells in there, it could just be one bad cell. Getting a little rotatory hobby tool might be the kippers knickers, save you some coin, but it is dangerous. Cutting through plastic into unknown territory and slicing into a cell, that cell heating up, perhaps fireworks. Laying down some hard earned bucks is the other option. Choices! ebay and asia have lots of options for you, not sure how trust worthy they are for that. Ever see those retail self balancing stand up toys, retail and the batteries were going on fire. ebay you got no clue, the item could look legit, but they are very clever in making things look legit, that is their living.

Tread safely!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlaptop+battery.TRS0&_nkw=laptop+battery&_sacat=0

I had this problem on an old mac. I just removed the battery and put it back a bunch of times (therefore cleaning the contacts) and it magically started working.

Try taking the battery out and putting it back in a dozen or so times. 

9 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Pawn shops do not have technician, they have keyboard warriors sitting behind the glass display case.

If it was a great deal for the price you paid and you did your due diligence then that is great. Knowing how much a battery would cost before buying the item is good to do. There has got to be legitimate suppliers of laptop batteries, if not ebay warriors will work too. First place to look is the manufacturers website. They would be expensive compared to the generic's basement hobby craft coming out of, well anywhere in the world. Batteries are very simple. If you can open it up and get to the battery itself then you are ahead of the game. I doubt they make them that way though. You probably have some good cells in there, it could just be one bad cell. Getting a little rotatory hobby tool might be the kippers knickers, save you some coin, but it is dangerous. Cutting through plastic into unknown territory and slicing into a cell, that cell heating up, perhaps fireworks. Laying down some hard earned bucks is the other option. Choices! ebay and asia have lots of options for you, not sure how trust worthy they are for that. Ever see those retail self balancing stand up toys, retail and the batteries were going on fire. ebay you got no clue, the item could look legit, but they are very clever in making things look legit, that is their living.

Tread safely!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlaptop+battery.TRS0&_nkw=laptop+battery&_sacat=0

I did look up the battery cost before buying and thought that it would still be worth it. I'm probably not going to do the "repair it myself" route.

8 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I had this problem on an old mac. I just removed the battery and put it back a bunch of times (therefore cleaning the contacts) and it magically started working.

Try taking the battery out and putting it back in a dozen or so times. 

Eh, I've pretty much already done that atleast 4 times

3 hours ago, Chriscosmo12 said:

Eh

Well then you have to lay down some peso's, which comes to mind this, hey we've all been there, laying down the peso's.

This fella here has a tatoo on his hand, this is the hand where his customers hand over the cash for the item they want. Just something that came to mind, I have been there, especially when it comes to automotive repair. Because when we first start out, we always take the vehicle to the mechanic and we hand over cash. Then we get tired of paying for simple repairs and we become keyboard warriors in the Google stream. Youtube is nice, everyone can post up a vlogeo and learn. Perhaps there is a simple tutorial on there for either route you want to take. In the meantime I will watch some of this guys excellent fabrication skills.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.tL4OJPEB1GuJYBHAU8LA-gAAAA%26pid%3D15.1&f=1Jesse James - Pay Up Sucker Tattoo | West Coast Choppers ...