soooo what happened?? has returned!

Dimmizer

Hello Great Wonderful Linus Community,

Soo I had some problems the past few days and I have no clue what happened and they've gone away now but I'm worried if it might be an underlying cause or something I don't want it to come back and be 10x worse or something and lose hardware like my GPU or something.

It started with Discord where anytime I would move my mouse cursor over text and such things would get really weird like so https://imgur.com/jhadkxU and then when I would launch a game it'd come up but things were missing like https://imgur.com/2ZFajsx and it's suppose to look like https://imgur.com/a/xrA8IUU and in EVE Online my character model wasn't filled like I could see the mesh and some weird colors on half of my characters face n such and the Black Desert Launcher would sorta like screen tearing or something.. it eventually got to the point Discord would just straight up crash and games did too I couldn't even launch a game without it just locking up and windows telling me it stopped responding.

I tested my graphics card and then tried using integrated video as well and then also tried one of my old 760's I had laying around and all 3 did it, ran Memtest with no errors and I checked my SSD's to see if maybe they were throwing any errors or anything but so far everything is fine and to make it worse the problem seems to of just vanished.. I've been fine now for over 24 hours and everything works but why?? oh and I reformatted my PC n everything and it still did it even after a fresh install of Windows.

but yeah anyone have ideas on this or feedback? Just curious if maybe someone else has experienced this before and was able to figure out what it was??

Edit: Windows always remained usable and I could browse YouTube and Netflix and do anything else just fine but when it came to games or programs/apps they'd lockup/crash

Reseat your RAM (make sure ts in there good i just fixed a weird issue of my own by pushing the RAM in harder), clear CMOS, make sure your power cables are in all the way... go from there

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:28 AM, Cereal5 said:

Reseat your RAM (make sure ts in there good i just fixed a weird issue of my own by pushing the RAM in harder), clear CMOS, make sure your power cables are in all the way... go from there

Yeah I thought one of my RAM sticks might of been bad so I started testing them one by one pulling them out and testing one by one but when I was done testing all 4 sticks it still did it but after I plugged all 4 back in it stopped??

I've just been keeping an eye on it and so far everything seems to work..

Why would it do that tho? I've been running this build for months now and never had any problems before. Does memory like nationally just come out of place over time or something?

7 minutes ago, Dimmizer said:

Does memory like nationally just come out of place over time or something?

*Naturally. I don't think it's that it wasn't plugged in all the way. I had an issue where my PC would refuse to even boot, and I never touch or move my PC. After a ram reseat it booted up normally. Weird, but that's ram for ya

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

*Naturally. I don't think it's that it wasn't plugged in all the way. I had an issue where my PC would refuse to even boot, and I never touch or move my PC. After a ram reseat it booted up normally. Weird, but that's ram for ya

so it's just a random phenomenon or something?? lol im just so confused because I've been running perfectly fine for like almost a year now at least 6+ months and it just now does this? makes no sense lol

5 minutes ago, Dimmizer said:

so it's just a random phenomenon or something?? lol im just so confused because I've been running perfectly fine for like almost a year now at least 6+ months and it just now does this? makes no sense lol

There are reasons behind it, mine I believe was because my power went out but other things can cause it also

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, KendoSapion said:

There are reasons behind it, mine I believe was because my power went out but other things can cause it also

Makes sense and after looking through chat logs on Discord with the rest of the fam I've noticed all my problems were solved after I reseat my memory and running memtest so yea.. hopefully it doesn't come back lol.

thanks for the feedback everyone  xD

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

It went away and now it's happening again...All of the images I linked in that last post still apply again this time. Discord just doesn't like working and it happens with Steam an such as well...

https://imgur.com/jhadkxU - Discord image / sorry for poor quality =/

My Hardware is as followed

Intel i7-8700

ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Corsair Memory x4 4GB sticks

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB vRAM
Kingston 240 & 480GB SSDs

I've tried multiple installs of Windows 10, I've tried different video drivers, I've made sure to reseat my memory which is what was suggested last time.. I've taken the whole machine apart and put it back together all to no avail.

I've used GPU-Z and CPU-Z to monitor and compare memory speeds/specs as well as GPU speeds and specs making sure I'm getting correct readings on core clocks and boost clocks etc.. everything checks out ok

I haven't tried MemTest since the last time this happened but when I ran it last time everything passed with ZERO errors...

I used the Intel CPU Diagnostic Tool and ran a test https://imgur.com/a/PSgxTli

I'm up to date on my bios (the 1st time this happened I wasn't) and its still happening now.

I've tried my dads 1060 and my integrated graphics on the motherboard as well as an old 760 we had laying around for a few years now and it happens with all of them.

Anyone have ideas??

btw that discord image if ya notice i'm missing names from specific roles even tho they are currently online they arn't showing on the right side there and the text in the middle is all weird and off.. If I mouse over the text or names some will come back and be visible again but then other ones disappear 

Soo figured out it was indeed my motherboard... using an old i5-6500 and a z170 motherboard but with my memory and my 960 and I have zero problems now.. everything is working and yeah.. dunno why my board decided to die on me to begin with but ASUS is generally pretty good about RMA so I'll get it replaced or w/e just gotta stick with this for now sadly..

Resurecting this thread once again to say the new Z390 MB I bought didn't fix my problem.. I'm once again back on my dads Z170 and his i5-6500 but with my memory and GPU and everything works fine...

contacting Intel to RMA my CPU and hopfully this fixes everything??? I'll respond when I get a chance.