Can't put resolution above native

soar

I got a 1440x900 monitor that uses vga and dvi. I used to be able to go in nvida control panel and put it on 1920x1080 and other high resolution. But now i can't. Whenever I try to put a higher resolution than 1440, it often just doesn't do anything at all. It like ignores when i press apply. And when i try 1080, the screen gets glitched. Like super zoomed in with the colors and shades weird. Also there is a pop up that says "change to native 1440". I did change a couple things that might have caused this. First is that I switched from Windows 7 to 10. Second is maybe the vga cable was the one that allows it. But this one won't. Any body know how this happen I appreciate. 

I'm guessing it thought of your monitor as a TV before and forced 1080i onto it. It's not supposed to let you run a higher than native resolution on your desktop at all. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Why would you want that though? Best case scenario is it scales perfectly and you don't notice any difference. Worse case is all kinds of glitches. You should always run at your native resolution if possible.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If you run a display ( any display) above it native resolution it can automatically scale down or give an out-of-range error.

you're trying to push more pixels to a display which has a hardware limit of the amount of pixels that it has.

Same as trying to fit 7 beers in a six-pack, you can try but it's still a six-pack.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

1 minute ago, FastRDust said:

If you run a display ( any display) above it native resolution it can automatically scale down or give an out-of-range error.

you're trying to push more pixels to a display which has a hardware limit of the amount of pixels that it has.

Same as trying to fit 7 beers in a six-pack, you can try but it's still a six-pack.

DSR resizes the beer so that you can get 18 beers into a 12 pack.

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why would you want that though? Best case scenario is it scales perfectly and you don't notice any difference. Worse case is all kinds of glitches. You should always run at your native resolution if 

For custom resolution in games. I can't do much without going higher than 1440

10 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm guessing it thought of your monitor as a TV before and forced 1080i onto it. It's not supposed to let you run a higher than native resolution on your desktop at all. 

is there a way to change it into tv then?

10 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Turn on DSR if using any recent NV card.  You get access to resolutions above native.

it works but its not letting me use custom resolutions. it just lets me choose from a couple different resolutions. they all looks super weird as well. you know any way to have custom res?

10 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

actually i did use a small tv as a monitor once. maybe the settings switched over to the monitor. 

6 hours ago, soar said:

it works but its not letting me use custom resolutions. it just lets me choose from a couple different resolutions. they all looks super weird as well. you know any way to have custom res?

Use the custom resolution tool in the NV control panel?

3 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Use the custom resolution tool in the NV control panel?

it doesnt work with dsr. its greyed out and says "turn off dsr" 

32 minutes ago, soar said:

it doesnt work with dsr. its greyed out and says "turn off dsr" 

is that something you can turn off with the OSD?

also try MoniInfo it's a free tool that looks at the EDID file of the monitor.

This wil show alle the supported ranges from resolution to refresh-rate.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...