GPU Bottleneck/No Full Performance

Thimo.K

Hey everyone, to start off i'm sorry if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes or if I say something that may be incorrect (im not english and im still learning alot about pc's ?)

My problem is that I feel like i am not getting the full performance off my setup, i have been playing games like Fortnite,CSGO etc and i have not gotten any problems. But than there comes the problem, if i play games like PUBG(and black ops 4 that i want to buy) that require alot more from my pc it cant handle it anymore, if i look at my specs (listend down below) i would say myself that the cpu and ram are holding my performance back, but when i run MSI Afterburner and i play a game it tells me that most of the time it is my GPU that is around 98/99% and not my CPU. So my question is, how is this and what can i do to solve the issue (upgrading some stuff can be possible).

PS: I know that the GPU shouldn't be used with such a bad setup but i asked around and they said that it should work and for the time it has.
SPECS:
Operating System:
 Windows 10 Pro N 64-bit
CPU:
 Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz   
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM:
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0HY9JP (CPU 1)
Graphics:
PHILIPS FTV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)
Storage:
298GB Seagate ST3320413AS (SATA )   
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA )
Powersupply:

Unknown, but max of 250W
(If more info is required I can look it up if needed.)

9 minutes ago, Thimo.K said:

most of the time it is my GPU that is around 98/99% and not my CPU

This is normal and means your GPU is being used to it's maximum.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

9 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

This is normal and means your GPU is being used to it's maximum.

Do u know what would be the best to upgrade at the moment to get better performance? Because if i understand it right, my GPU is going at full power but my other components can not keep up with my GPU

3 minutes ago, Thimo.K said:

Do u know what would be the best to upgrade at the moment to get better performance? Because if i understand it right, my GPU is going at full power but my other components can not keep up with my GPU

The problem isn't the other components can't keep up with the GPU because the GPU is a slave device to the CPU. If the GPU is not performing with the frame rates you want and your GPU is at 100%, the problem is the GPU.

The only reason why the CPU "can't keep up" is because it's done with all of the game logic code and it's spending free time sending GPU things to do. But the GPU is too busy rendering frames and sending jobs while the GPU is busy is a waste, so the CPU idles until game logic needs to run again or the GPU is ready to render another frame.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem isn't the other components can't keep up with the GPU because the GPU is a slave device to the CPU. If the GPU is not performing with the frame rates you want and your GPU is at 100%, the problem is the GPU.

The only reason why the CPU "can't keep up" is because it's done with all of the game logic code and it's spending free time sending GPU things to do. But the GPU is too busy rendering frames and sending jobs while the GPU is busy is a waste, so the CPU idles until game logic needs to run again or the GPU is ready to render another frame.

But what would help to get better performance than (what should i upgrade)? And correct me if im wrong but my GPU is still quite up to date so i should have to worry on upgrading that right?

6 minutes ago, Miniman27100 said:

Your power supply could use an upgrade. 250 W is not enough for your system when it is under load.

You are right, but isn't it weird that I haven't had any issues with power yet tho?

1 minute ago, Thimo.K said:

But what would help to get better performance than (what should i upgrade)?

GPU.

because that's what's holding you back

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Thimo.K said:

But what would help to get better performance than (what should i upgrade)? And correct me if im wrong but my GPU is still quite up to date so i should have to worry on upgrading that right?

A better GPU. Your GPU is maxed out at 100% or close enough to it. That means it can't push any more performance than what you're seeing.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A better GPU. Your GPU is maxed out at 100% or close enough to it. That means it can't push any more performance than what you're seeing.

That would seem logic to me too but my GPU isnt that outdated yet and if i look at reccomended settings of games than it is never my GPU that is below the recommended settings but more my cpu and or RAM and i am scared that if i get a new GPU i will not get much better performance. But if so what GPU should i get and shouldn't i get a newer Motherboard than aswell?

6 minutes ago, Thimo.K said:

That would seem logic to me too but my GPU isnt that outdated yet and if i look at reccomended settings of games than it is never my GPU that is below the recommended settings but more my cpu and or RAM and i am scared that if i get a new GPU i will not get much better performance. But if so what GPU should i get and shouldn't i get a newer Motherboard than aswell?

doesn't matter how new it is, it's a lower tier GPU. as long as it's pushing the frams you want then there is no issue.

you would only need a new motherboard if you're getting a new CPU as well

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Thimo.K said:

A better question to ask is are you satisfied with the performance you're getting? Worrying about how loaded your system is the wrong way of assessing whether or not you need an upgrade. It's when you are dissatisfied with the performance you're getting. You look at loading to determine what areas of improvement are needed.

If you are dissatisfied with the performance you're getting, then sure, upgrade the GPU. But given your CPU, you should probably not go beyond a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580.

Most of the time i am satisfied with the performance, but i find it weird that for a game as example Fortnite my GPU can not even handle it on full settings while it in theory it should, and than my question is around howmuch could i still sell my old GPU and should i pay for the new one (I live in Holland but just keep it on America to keep it simple).

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A better question to ask is are you satisfied with the performance you're getting? Worrying about how loaded your system is the wrong way of assessing whether or not you need an upgrade. It's when you are dissatisfied with the performance you're getting. You look at loading to determine what areas of improvement are needed.

If you are dissatisfied with the performance you're getting, then sure, upgrade the GPU. But given your CPU, you should probably not go beyond a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580.

Most of the time i am satisfied with the performance, but i find it weird that for a game as example Fortnite my GPU can not even handle it on full settings while it in theory it should, and than my question is around howmuch could i still sell my old GPU and should i pay for the new one (I live in Holland but just keep it on America to keep it simple).