Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with starting RAID 0

Slaps_Only
 Share

I have a few spare HDD that I want to RAID together to make a single large 'high speed' game drive. I saw windows 10 has 'storage spaces' but from my light research it looks like it's not as efficient as an actual RAID 0 array. What tools would I need to start a software based array? Also in this scenario, would a hardware RAID make more sense?

 

I have windows 10 installed on a 240 ssd with some other programs, and I currently have a HDD installed for my games right now. Would I still need to reinstall windows 10 before I start (I can I would just rather not)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont see why you want to reinstall windows. you can set raid 0 up in your bios if your mobo supports it, this is the most effective way i believe

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Slaps_Only said:

 

Why would you want to risk your data on a daily basis?

 

You could add another SSD to do caching for the hard drives, or split your current SSD to use half of it for caching.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Why would you want to risk your data on a daily basis?

 

You could add another SSD to do caching for the hard drives, or split your current SSD to use half of it for caching.

I don't have any critical data one my computer. Everything important is saved externally. Anything I can't recover from a cloud storage or service is saved onto a flash drive. My HDD would only hold a steam library which i can easily re-download if a disk or the raid fails. I had never considered caching though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, karsnoordhuis said:

i dont see why you want to reinstall windows. you can set raid 0 up in your bios if your mobo supports it, this is the most effective way i believe

 

I don't want to reinstall windows. I sort of assumed a fresh install would make things easier. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Slaps_Only said:

I don't have any critical data one my computer. Everything important is saved externally. Anything I can't recover from a cloud storage or service is saved onto a flash drive. My HDD would only hold a steam library which i can easily re-download if a disk or the raid fails. I had never considered caching though.

Windows has built in caching software or linus lists a few here

I really wouldn't bother with RAID 0 at all though unless you just want to run one benchmark for fun.
 


 

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since its not a boot drive just make a raid 0 with storage spaces in windows. Simple and much better than using the bios for raid.

 

 

Are 'storage spaces' and RAID 0 the same? I was under the impression they were similar but RAID 0 was still faster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Slaps_Only said:

Are 'storage spaces' and RAID 0 the same? I was under the impression they were similar but RAID 0 was still faster. 

Storage spaces is the raid management system in windows

 

You can make a raid0 in storage spaces and it will preform just like any other raid0. Just be sure to set the collums correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Storage spaces is the raid management system in windows

 

You can make a raid0 in storage spaces and it will preform just like any other raid0. Just be sure to set the collums correctly.

Excellent. Thank you for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Why would you want to risk your data on a daily basis?

I think he indicated it was a game or scratch drive, so I wouldn't worry about it.

 

OP you can just assign those drives to an array after changing to raid mode, I have a couple of ssd in the same configuration.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a waste of time setting up RAID0 for gaming. 

I used to run RAID0 for my game drive, I now just run a WD Black and its pretty much the same.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×