Help with starting RAID 0

Slaps_Only

I have a few spare HDD that I want to RAID together to make a single large 'high speed' game drive. I saw windows 10 has 'storage spaces' but from my light research it looks like it's not as efficient as an actual RAID 0 array. What tools would I need to start a software based array? Also in this scenario, would a hardware RAID make more sense?

I have windows 10 installed on a 240 ssd with some other programs, and I currently have a HDD installed for my games right now. Would I still need to reinstall windows 10 before I start (I can I would just rather not)?

i dont see why you want to reinstall windows. you can set raid 0 up in your bios if your mobo supports it, this is the most effective way i believe

25 minutes ago, Slaps_Only said:

Why would you want to risk your data on a daily basis?

You could add another SSD to do caching for the hard drives, or split your current SSD to use half of it for caching.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You could add another SSD to do caching for the hard drives, or split your current SSD to use half of it for caching.

I don't have any critical data one my computer. Everything important is saved externally. Anything I can't recover from a cloud storage or service is saved onto a flash drive. My HDD would only hold a steam library which i can easily re-download if a disk or the raid fails. I had never considered caching though.

Since its not a boot drive just make a raid 0 with storage spaces in windows. Simple and much better than using the bios for raid.

4 hours ago, karsnoordhuis said:

i dont see why you want to reinstall windows. you can set raid 0 up in your bios if your mobo supports it, this is the most effective way i believe

I don't want to reinstall windows. I sort of assumed a fresh install would make things easier. 

1 minute ago, Slaps_Only said:

I don't have any critical data one my computer. Everything important is saved externally. Anything I can't recover from a cloud storage or service is saved onto a flash drive. My HDD would only hold a steam library which i can easily re-download if a disk or the raid fails. I had never considered caching though.

Windows has built in caching software or linus lists a few here

I really wouldn't bother with RAID 0 at all though unless you just want to run one benchmark for fun.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Since its not a boot drive just make a raid 0 with storage spaces in windows. Simple and much better than using the bios for raid.

Are 'storage spaces' and RAID 0 the same? I was under the impression they were similar but RAID 0 was still faster. 

Just now, Slaps_Only said:

Are 'storage spaces' and RAID 0 the same? I was under the impression they were similar but RAID 0 was still faster. 

Storage spaces is the raid management system in windows

You can make a raid0 in storage spaces and it will preform just like any other raid0. Just be sure to set the collums correctly.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Storage spaces is the raid management system in windows

You can make a raid0 in storage spaces and it will preform just like any other raid0. Just be sure to set the collums correctly.

Excellent. Thank you for the info!

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I think he indicated it was a game or scratch drive, so I wouldn't worry about it.

OP you can just assign those drives to an array after changing to raid mode, I have a couple of ssd in the same configuration.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Still a waste of time setting up RAID0 for gaming. 

I used to run RAID0 for my game drive, I now just run a WD Black and its pretty much the same.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA