Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem with Unifi AP LR

SmilesRising

Hi, im currently installing my unifi ap but it doesn't go as i planned. The ap seems to work when plugged directly into the router but not when i plug the ap into a ethernet jack somewhere else in my house, how come?

Watches and computers                    

4 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Hi, im currently installing my unifi ap but it doesn't go as i planned. The ap seems to work when plugged directly into the router but not when i plug the ap into a ethernet jack somewhere else in my house, how come?

bad termination? possibly no PoE?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I would check the termination or make sure the PoE injector is in the right spot.

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

bad termination? possibly no PoE?

The PoE is installed the way the instructions said, what's "termination"? how do i check that?

Watches and computers                    

3 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

what's "termination"?

the physical connection from the wall jack to the switch.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

The PoE is installed the way the instructions said, what's "termination"? how do i check that?

Yeah, if the PoE injector works when plugged directly into the router but not when plugged in your wall run, the wall run of ethernet cable seems to be culprit.

You would need a Ethernet cable tester (will tell you if it's wired correctly or if cable is broken). The free option is to remove the wall plate and check the punchdown layout. The testers are better though (Will tell you of a wire break or not)

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, if the PoE injector works when plugged directly into the router but not when plugged in your wall run, the wall run of ethernet cable seems to be culprit.

You would need a Ethernet cable tester (will tell you if it's wired correctly or if cable is broken). The free option is to remove the wall plate and check the punchdown layout. The testers are better though (Will tell you of a wire break or not)

but the ethernet jacks in the walls all work fine when used, its only problematic when im trying to use the ap..

Watches and computers                    

6 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

but the ethernet jacks in the walls all work fine when used, its only problematic when im trying to use the ap..

PoE requires correct wiring. it's not like the signal wiring that can be mis-matched. power-in/out has to be correct AND the correct voltage.

hey there's a thought, how far is the ethernet run, and at what point is the PoE injector inserted? maybe draw a diagram. It's possible the voltage drop through the line is so great that the correct voltage isn't seen at the device.

System specs:

5 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

You get full gigabit connection?

Yeah, only other thing I can think of is possible poor cable quality? Like copper clad aluminum cable. Or maybe it's too far away?

11 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

PoE requires correct wiring. it's not like the signal wiring that can be mis-matched. power-in/out has to be correct AND the correct voltage.

hey there's a thought, how far is the ethernet run, and at what point is the PoE injector inserted? maybe draw a diagram. It's possible the voltage drop through the line is so great that the correct voltage isn't seen at the device.

this is a sketch of how it kinda looks.

ap.png

Watches and computers                    

25 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

this is a sketch of how it kinda looks.

ap.png

well hell, that should work... That's simply a longer ethernet cable as far as the fiber "box" is concerned. There's gotta be something else going on here.

System specs:

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

well hell, that should work... That's simply a longer ethernet cable as far as the fiber "box" is concerned. There's gotta be something else going on here.

Maybe i should get in touch with Unifi support, maybe they can sort this out

Watches and computers                    

22 hours ago, smiles rising said:

Basically is the ethernet cord behind the wall outlet properly pinned, the right color wire into the right hole.