PC keeps getting sudden power loss then rebooting

Slazeus

As in the title, about half an hour ago I was using my PC as normal, just about to go launch a game and my pc just losses power suddenly, like there had been a power cut or forced shut down or something. 2-3 seconds after that it rebooted itself and loaded into windows just fine, no error screens or anything, just a normal boot. 

15 minutes later it did it again, just sudden power loss and again 2-3 seconds later it rebooted but I powered it off before it did. It has been powered off (with the switch on the psu off aswell) since this happened. I don't feel comfortable feeding the system any power until I can hopefully get an idea of what is going on, the last thing I want is to fry a component if there is some hardware problem.

Has anyone had any similar problems to this? or have any ideas as to what could cause such behaviour? The only thing I could think off is some problem with the psu, but I'd like to try and know for sure (especially before ordering/buying any new parts). One thing that's probably worth noting is I could hear a sort of rattle noise every now and again (almost like something was loosely coming in contact with a fan or something) I was unable to pinpoint the source of this noise though and it may be nothing, just the only thing I have noticed before the problem started.

Also after rebooting the readout on my motherboard read A0, which means there were no problems detected, aka the motherboard couldn't detect any cpu / memory problems etc. 

My PC Specs:

Intel Core i7 8700k (paired with a NZXT Kraken X62 AIO)

MSI GTX 960 4Gb

ROG Maximus X Hero

16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

Corsair CX 850M 850 Watt PSU (80plus Bronze)

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read or offer their advice.

First off did anything else in the home lose power?.

If not it sounds like a PSU issue.

Thermal issues would cut the power and switch the PC off not restart it.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

No nothing else lost power, it was just the psu. 

I do suspect the psu is the problem just hoping to try find a way to confirm it before I drop money on a new unit. Especially as the Mobo didn't detect any problem on reboot. Not likely to be cpu / memory etc. 

Do you have a spare psu or have someone you know who you could borrow one from to check? 

It sounds like what I had where the system was drawing too much power, so it froze, but your 850 should be fine for the specs you have. 

are you running the psu of a breaker bar or directly from a wall outlet, because some breaker bars have overcorrect protection. 

We have them at work, but I don't know if they are really a "consumer" product, because these are designed for theatre

I make intelligent lights do cool things

I do not sadly, the only spare ones I have are super old unbranded '450' Watt ones that probably wouldn't even power the system. 

I do run it through a 4 way power strip but I have done for some time without issue, I might try it directly into an outlet and see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Slazeus said:

No nothing else lost power, it was just the psu. 

I do suspect the psu is the problem just hoping to try find a way to confirm it before I drop money on a new unit. Especially as the Mobo didn't detect any problem on reboot. Not likely to be cpu / memory etc. 

Fluctuations in the main power can be a reason, try changing your power outlet. If that is not the case, then your PSU might be the issue. Did you check your AIO for any issue? Although from what you are describing thermal issues seem unlikely.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Yeah I'm going to try another outlet now. The house I live in is very old (likely built in the 70s) and the electrics are a bit on the crap side.

I haven't checked the AIO, but it's pretty new and as you said Thermal issues I believe are unlikely here. I'll check it to be sure once I try a boot though just as a sanity check.

46 minutes ago, Slazeus said:

As in the title, about half an hour ago I was using my PC as normal, just about to go launch a game and my pc just losses power suddenly, like there had been a power cut or forced shut down or something. 2-3 seconds after that it rebooted itself and loaded into windows just fine, no error screens or anything, just a normal boot. 

15 minutes later it did it again, just sudden power loss and again 2-3 seconds later it rebooted but I powered it off before it did. It has been powered off (with the switch on the psu off aswell) since this happened. I don't feel comfortable feeding the system any power until I can hopefully get an idea of what is going on, the last thing I want is to fry a component if there is some hardware problem.

Has anyone had any similar problems to this? or have any ideas as to what could cause such behaviour? The only thing I could think off is some problem with the psu, but I'd like to try and know for sure (especially before ordering/buying any new parts). One thing that's probably worth noting is I could hear a sort of rattle noise every now and again (almost like something was loosely coming in contact with a fan or something) I was unable to pinpoint the source of this noise though and it may be nothing, just the only thing I have noticed before the problem started.

Also after rebooting the readout on my motherboard read A0, which means there were no problems detected, aka the motherboard couldn't detect any cpu / memory problems etc. 

My PC Specs:

Intel Core i7 8700k (paired with a NZXT Kraken X62 AIO)

MSI GTX 960 4Gb

ROG Maximus X Hero

16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

Corsair CX 850M 850 Watt PSU (80plus Bronze)

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read or offer their advice.

I had a similar problem and it was a pc that i didn't end up doing a routine cleaning or dusting and it ended up being that my pc was overheating and i never cleaned out the cpu fan/intake 

Yeah that can be a problem, but it is a new build with the only old parts being re-used are the psu and graphics card. dust induced overheating is very unlikely here (I have an AIO too so no cpu fan to get clogged up)

Also I'm now typing this on the main pc. I have booted up with it plugged into a different outlet. 

There hasn't been any power loss yet (been on around 15 minutes now). I can confirm though that the noise I was hearing sounds more like crackling than a rattling and it does indeed sound like it is coming from the psu..

Should I risk continuing to run the system? or should I play it safe until I can get a new psu unit?  

No It happens maybe anything from 15 min - 45 min after it boots. Doesn't shut down, just dies so to speak. 

Only a PSU can cause the system to suddenly shut off.
Everything else would give either a BSOD, or a corrupted screen.

I've had it before but in my case it was because I was pushing my overclocks a bit too far.
PSUs are different from other parts of the system. PSUs can limp along even if they are damaged, but they reach a point where they hit a wall and then just shut off. They don't lower their output first.

Now will buying a new PSU fix the issue? No idea without first plugging the PSU into another machine.

It's not a race to the bottom.

20 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Only a PSU can cause the system to suddenly shut off.
Everything else would give either a BSOD, or a corrupted screen.

I've had it before but in my case it was because I was pushing my overclocks a bit too far.
PSUs are different from other parts of the system. PSUs can limp along even if they are damaged, but they reach a point where they hit a wall and then just shut off. They don't lower their output first.

Now will buying a new PSU fix the issue? No idea without first plugging the PSU into another machine.

Yeah I thought the same thing. 

I don't have any manual overclocks set, I don't really know how to do that, I got components capable of it so I could try it if I ever learnt enough (or decided to learn).

There could be some auto turbo boost or auto overclock from my motherboard maybe?

Unless there is some auto-overclock thing happening that's drawing to much power or something that's causing it, I'm sure a new unit would fix the issue if it is indeed a mechanical fault with the psu no?

10 hours ago, Slazeus said:

Yeah I thought the same thing. 

I don't have any manual overclocks set, I don't really know how to do that, I got components capable of it so I could try it if I ever learnt enough (or decided to learn).

There could be some auto turbo boost or auto overclock from my motherboard maybe?

Unless there is some auto-overclock thing happening that's drawing to much power or something that's causing it, I'm sure a new unit would fix the issue if it is indeed a mechanical fault with the psu no?

If you were overclocking a bit, even if you pushed your 8700k to 5.2Ghz you shouldn't hit the PSUs limit so you'll be fine.
I use a much older and more power hungry chip.

I would just replace the PSU and be done with it. What you're using now is pretty bottom of the barrel, so it wouldn't harm you in getting a better quality PSU.
Plus a good one would easily last you 5-10 years. My old one is pushing on 13 years and still holding strong, but that's what I expect from a high quality PSU.

It's not a race to the bottom.