Overheating

Hello, recently I have been looking at my temperatures on my PC parts using CAM and Afterburner and noticed that my CPU has been running insanely hot - 90-100c while under low loads. The CPU is an Intel Core i7-8700K so its a new model as well. I'm not very good at PC parts so I don't know if this is thermal paste issues and if it is that I don't know how to go about fixing that or anything - CAM_V3_2018-10-20_14-28-24.png

Thank you!

Edit: The CPU to my knowledge isn't overclocked, I'm currently using a CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC (White Color) 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

First thing to do is to Check your BIOS for your fan settings. Then, check the fan leads to be sure they're plugged in, and make sure the fan is spinning.  Lastly, pull your heatsink / cooler and check paste application. 

You definitely have a cooling issue.  

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

If you’re overclocked at all, take that off right away lol. The max you want to see for every day use is probably no more than about 80C. You might need to use a little (a LITTLE) more thermal paste, or possibly less even (most likely less), or maybe your cooler isn’t tightened down enough

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

22 minutes ago, MonkeyManofLife said:

Hello, recently I have been looking at my temperatures on my PC parts using CAM and Afterburner and noticed that my CPU has been running insanely hot - 90-100c while under low loads. The CPU is an Intel Core i7-8700K so its a new model as well. I'm not very good at PC parts so I don't know if this is thermal paste issues and if it is that I don't know how to go about fixing that or anything - Thank you!

First off, what CPU cooler are you using?

First things first...
Get rid of NZXT CAM, there are better tools out there for measuring temps.
Was there any kind of plastic film on the baseplate of the cooler? 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

First off, what CPU cooler are you using?

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

If you’re overclocked at all, take that off right away lol. The max you want to see for every day use is probably no more than about 80C. You might need to use a little (a LITTLE) more thermal paste, or possibly less even (most likely less), or maybe your cooler isn’t tightened down enough

Too my knowledge the CPU isn't overclocked however it may be It shouldn't be though. I am currently using a CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC (White Color) 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan) as my CPU cooler.

Thank you!

59 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

First things first...
Get rid of NZXT CAM, there are better tools out there for measuring temps.
Was there any kind of plastic film on the baseplate of the cooler? 

Also, what tools do you recommend using?

What motherboard are you using? Touch the tubing and try to feel for the flowing fluid if any and double check to see if the pump header isn't unplugged. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A single 120mm radiator is a bit small for the 8700K. A similarly priced air cooler probably would have done you better. As for programs, I use MSI afterburner, as do many other people. It monitors both CPU and GPU. Your motherboard will likely include software for fan control also that you can use in the OS, or you can control it directly from the BIOS. Make sure both the pump and the fan speed up when the temps increase. You can also check to make sure the pump is working by touching the pump and/or the tubes while it’s running, it should vibrate. 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:56 PM, Cereal5 said:

A single 120mm radiator is a bit small for the 8700K. A similarly priced air cooler probably would have done you better. As for programs, I use MSI afterburner, as do many other people. It monitors both CPU and GPU. Your motherboard will likely include software for fan control also that you can use in the OS, or you can control it directly from the BIOS. Make sure both the pump and the fan speed up when the temps increase. You can also check to make sure the pump is working by touching the pump and/or the tubes while it’s running, it should vibrate. 

It was vibrating, however, I have been hearing a weird sound coming from it like it's not full or something. Kind of a loud sound aswell.

Send it back. An AIO should have little enough air in it to not have a priming issue. I would send it back and get a decent air cooler or a better AIO, at least a 240mm so you can keep the fans from running at 100% trying to keep up..

Setup: 8700k - Asus Maximus Formula X - EVGA XCII 2080ti - 2x16GB ddr4 3000 - EVGA G3 1000w - Carbon Cablemod Cables- Custom EKWB cooling loop - phanteks enthoo luxe 2