PSU On It's Way Out?

aeadespeacock

My computer's fans and stuff seem to be sounding louder than normal, it's almost like the fans are struggling, e.g. not getting the power they need.

Also while I'm using the computer it will just suddenly lock up with the clock stopped even when left for hours on end, the only way to take the computer out of this state is to turn it off by holding in the power button.

Odd to think that any of this has to do with the power supply....

8 minutes ago, aeadespeacock said:

My computer's fans and stuff seem to be sounding louder than normal, it's almost like the fans are struggling, e.g. not getting the power they need.

Also while I'm using the computer it will just suddenly lock up with the clock stopped even when left for hours on end, the only way to take the computer out of this state is to turn it off by holding in the power button.

What are your temperatures like? Airflow? Dust? Last time you cleaned it?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 minutes ago, aeadespeacock said:

LMAO, fans are not living things (they don't struggle). And if they weren't getting the power they needed, why would the fan speed increase?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I didn't say that the fan speeds were increasing, I said that the fans sounded like they were struggling due to lack of power.

Also it might be the fans in the PSU that are struggling, the hole computer just doesn't seem right tbh.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What are your temperatures like? Airflow? Dust? Last time you cleaned it?

I clean my computer often, so the answer to your question is not that long ago.

Also in regards to CPU temps and the like does the following mean anything to you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Pentium E5300
    Cores    2
    Threads    2
    Name    Intel Pentium E5300
    Code Name    Wolfdale
    Package    Socket 775 LGA
    Technology    45nm
    Specification    Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
    Family    6
    Extended Family    6
    Model    7
    Extended Model    17
    Stepping    A
    Revision    R0
    Instructions    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64, NX, VMX
    Virtualization    Supported, Enabled
    Hyperthreading    Not supported
    Rated Bus Speed    798.0 MHz
    Stock Core Speed    2600 MHz
    Stock Bus Speed    200 MHz
    Average Temperature    35 °C

If you have any issues understanding the infomation or require more info please let me know.

Regards,

Andrew

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Really??? What do you know? Uh?

12 minutes ago, aeadespeacock said:

I didn't say that the fan speeds were increasing, I said that the fans sounded like they were struggling due to lack of power.

Also it might be the fans in the PSU that are struggling, the hole computer just doesn't seem right tbh.

And therefore it must be the PSU.  I'm just saying that I don't see your logic.

Do you own a multimeter?  You could check your PSU's output voltages.

But honestly, if the voltages were "so low" that you would be able to notice it with the fan speeds, then the voltages would be so low that your PC wouldn't even boot.

Can you define what you mean by "struggling"?  What kind of fans are they and how old are they?  Yes... you keep your PC clean, but that doesn't mean that cheap fans don't have worn out bearings.

What are the specs of the other parts in your computer?  What kind of CPU cooler?  What case?  What PSU?  What graphics card?  ......

I never said that the fans are what are making the PC Lock up all the time if anything it's the PSU that's doing that, could it be the fans in the PSU that are struggling? like I said the hole computer doesn't "sound" right.

17 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Isn't the computer locking up with the clock stopped a sign that the PSU is failing?

4 hours ago, aeadespeacock said:

Isn't the computer locking up with the clock stopped a sign that the PSU is failing?

You give the computer too much credit for smart power management.

Look.. you don't want to listen to us.  Clearly.  Throw your PSU away and get a new one and let us know if it fixes your problems.

19 hours ago, aeadespeacock said:

I never said that the fans are what are making the PC Lock up all the time if anything it's the PSU that's doing that, could it be the fans in the PSU that are struggling? like I said the hole computer doesn't "sound" right.

I  didn't say you said that.  You said "the fans are struggling".  >> I << said >> IF << the PSU was so incapable of providing power to a simple fan motor that needs less than 2W of power, THEN your PC would be so power starved that it wouldn't work at all.

Reading comprehension for the win, my friend.

Your PSU is theoretically single output.  Single voltage output (+12V) that's just split up into separate wires.  It's not going to provide less power to your fans and not enough power to everything else.

But now I am out of patience.  You won't give us all the information we need/ask for and you can't/don't/won't listen.  So good luck.

44 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I  didn't say you said that.  You said "the fans are struggling".  >> I << said >> IF << the PSU was so incapable of providing power to a simple fan motor that needs less than 2W of power, THEN your PC would be so power starved that it wouldn't work at all.

Reading comprehension for the win, my friend.

Your PSU is theoretically single output.  Single voltage output (+12V) that's just split up into separate wires.  It's not going to provide less power to your fans and not enough power to everything else.

But now I am out of patience.  You won't give us all the information we need/ask for and you can't/don't/won't listen.  So good luck.

Okay I am rocking a Dell Optiplex 960, with the following.

PSU: stock

Fan/CPU cooler: stock

I am very sorry but I don't own a multimeter, as I home user I don't really have much in the way of testng equipment whatsoever.

If you need anything else in regards to information regarding the PC please let me know.