replacing i5 7500 and GTX 1050 Ti

liquid arctic

Hello all,

I'll be purchasing a new pc at the end of this month. I'm donating my old rig to my brother. I use the pc for gaming mainly, web browsing, MS Office and Adobe apps. I also do not stream my games. I play AAA titles, and online games as well. I currently have a LG IPS 1080p 75Hz Freesync monitor.

Old rig:

i5 7500

MSI H170

XFX TS 550W

ZOTAC GTX 1050 Ti

8GB DDR4 

NZXT S340

I'm donating everything except for the case.

The new components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8500 3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($227.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($77.33 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($125.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  (already own it
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.51 @ Newegg Business) 
Total: $768.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-19 05:07 EDT-0400

My budget is around $800, so this setup fits the bill. I'd like to know if I can do better with the parts I chose.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, if your going to be paying 220$ new, id see if you can find a used 8700, or 8700k and a z370 Mobo combo for around 300-400$ Adobe apps do not like Ryzen sadly,yet, still waiting for them to fix bad bugs. 

You can also find used 1070/1070ti for 200-250$

Is the marginally higher boost clock really worth the $30 over the 8400?

It'd be better if you use that on a CPU cooler.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Honestly, if your going to be paying 220$ new, id see if you can find a used 8700, or 8700k and a z370 Mobo combo for around 300-400$ Adobe apps do not like Ryzen sadly,yet, still waiting for them to fix bad bugs. 

You can also find used 1070/1070ti for 200-250$

I prefer to buy them new. It's easier and less of a hassle for me. I reside in the Middle East.

2 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Is the marginally higher boost clock really worth the $30 over the 8400?

It'd be better if you use that on a CPU cooler.

most online retailers are selling the 8500 for less than the 8400 due to the shortage Intel is facing.

Just now, liquid arctic said:

I prefer to buy them new. It's easier and less of a hassle for me. I reside in the Middle East.

I suggest you check your local stores, don't trust US Amazon; Intel CPU prices have skyrocketed in many places, making them a big no-no in most situations. That same 8500 is 300€ where I live, for example.

1 minute ago, liquid arctic said:

most online retailers are selling the 8500 for less than the 8400 due to the shortage Intel is facing.

It's $30 USD cheaper on Amazon.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

get an SSD. 

I'll get that at a later stage.

2 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I suggest you check your local stores, don't trust US Amazon; Intel CPU prices have skyrocketed in many places, making them a big no-no in most situations. That same 8500 is 300€ where I live, for example.

local stores here sell the 8400 for about $270, so definitely more expensive than purchasing online.

3 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

It's $30 USD cheaper on Amazon.

if I find a cheaper 8400, I'll switch to it.

16 minutes ago, liquid arctic said:

Hello all,

My budget is around $800, so this setup fits the bill. I'd like to know if I can do better with the parts I chose.

I d change the psu to a seasonic focus plus gold and the HDD to WD black, i think it fits your budget. Otherwise i's a good build if you go intel. 
Lastly i would recommend that you check the ryzen 2600 way and make the comparison.

1 minute ago, Settlerteo said:

I d change the psu to a seasonic focus plus gold and the HDD to WD black, i think it fits your budget. Otherwise i's a good build if you go intel. 
Lastly i would recommend that you check the ryzen 2600 way and make the comparison.

I would have checked the 2600, but Ryzen and Adobe aren't getting along yet.

Get a cheap 120/128GB SATA SSD, doesn’t have to be samsung. It should be really cheap(around 30 usd?) and it would help your boot times a lot

Just my take:

Made your RAM a little faster and gave you an SSD. I also found that 8400 that is a little cheaper, but like you said, it may be different where you live.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018