How does my PC Build look so far?

*Everything marked with the bold UNDECIDED, is what I need some assistance with if possible, thanks!*

*INSIGHT: I plan to use this PC for workstation purposes, surfing, music production, and gaming.)*

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X

• CPU COOLERWraith Prism (UNDECIDED: I don't plan to overclock with the stock cooler as most sources i've read say it's best to leave the 2700X at stock settings and let XFR2 and Precision Boost do the work, especially since I'm using the Crosshair Hero VII. Is this a good decision or should I opt for a $100 cooler? *Also if anyone has personal experience, let me know if the this stock cooler is loud.*)

• GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080

• MOTHERBOARD: X470 Crosshair Hero VII WIFI

• MEMORY: 16GB 3600Mhz Trident Z RGB AMD (UNDECIDED: The timings for this RAM shows as 18-22-22-42, do yall think I can get much better timings than this considering this specific RAM stick is optimized for Ryzen? Or should I buy a tighter timing 3200Mhz RAM stick like the Flare X, etc?)

• SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

• HDD: 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM (UNDECIDED: Is 2TB enough capacity or should I opt for more? From what I've researched, this is the most reliable of the Barracuda line.)

• CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG (UNDECIDED: To give you guys some reference, this case is roughly $100 more than the Fractal Meshify C Mid Tower in my country lol! Do yall think it's worth spending extra? From what I've heard, this is a beast of a case.)

• PSU: Corsair TX850M 850W GOLD (UNDECIDED: Is 850W overkill for this build? I plan to also use external devices such as MIDI keyboards, etc for music production. Should I downgrade or just stay on the safe side for future proofing as well?)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have any extra thoughts on this build, feel free to let me know ?

*I've put this build into PCPartPicker, and it says all the parts are compatible. I've also checked the QVL for the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and it all looks good as well. PCPARTPICKER WATTAGE = 400W (ESTIMATE ONLY)*

However, if you do see something incompatible, please let me know.

Thanks yall!

Cooler - perfectly fine and looks good, I'd leave it

HDD - Depends what you have to put in it!  What will you need it for?  I personally put Steam on an SSD for load times, f*ck HDD's.

Case - R6 is fantastic, and honestly you're building a mid-upper system, give it a good home.

PSU - 850w is excessive, yes but will last for years and years.  You don't need more than a 650 at the outside, but peace of mind is why a lot of people buy 2x the psu they need.  makes them feel good.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 minutes ago, subrooz said:

workstation purposes

What specifically?

Also what country are you in?

If you're not OCing you could definitely save a bit of money with a cheaper x470 board. Also 3600 mhz ram generally is very expensive and not worth the extra money so 3200 mhz would probably be fine. You might also be able to grab a cheaper ssd like the sx8200, wd black 3d, or ex920. Psu is also pretty overkill; at most I would go 650w. With those savings you might be able to afford a 1080 ti.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

PSU is a little overkill, x edition CPUs aren't worth the money, I'd say get the 3200 Mhz kit, and maybe get a bigger harddrive if you feel like you need it down the line. 

3 minutes ago, subrooz said:

CPU COOLERWraith Prism (UNDECIDED: I don't plan to overclock with the stock cooler as most sources i've read say it's best to leave the 2700X at stock settings and let XFR2 and Precision Boost do the work, especially since I'm using the Crosshair Hero VII. Is this a good decision or should I opt for a $100 cooler? *Also if anyone has personal experience, let me know if the this stock cooler is loud.*)

The stock cooler should be fine. If you're unsure, the best thing to do is go with the stock cooler that you get for free, and then if you later find it does not meet your needs then look at purchasing an after market cooler.

7 minutes ago, subrooz said:

MEMORY: 16GB 3600Mhz Trident Z RGB AMD (UNDECIDED: The timings for this RAM shows as 18-22-22-42, do yall think I can get much better timings than this considering this specific RAM stick is optimized for Ryzen? Or should I buy a tighter timing 3200Mhz RAM stick like the Flare X, etc?)

As long as you get RAM that is 3000Mhz or higher, you should be fine. 3600Mhz will likely cost a fair bit more than 3600MHz, so if there's a cost difference between the two, go with the cheaper 3200Mhz option.

4 minutes ago, subrooz said:

HDD: 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM (UNDECIDED: Is 2TB enough capacity or should I opt for more? From what I've researched, this is the most reliable of the Barracuda line.)

What are you storing on it? If you need more storage later you can always add another HDD.

5 minutes ago, subrooz said:

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG (UNDECIDED: To give yall some reference, this case is roughly $100 more than the Fractal Meshify C Mid Tower in my country lol! Do yall think it's worth spending extra? From what I've heard, this is a beast of a case.)

Personally I'd save $100 and go with the Meshify C, but the case is a personal choice based on the aesthetics - so go with what you will appreciate the most.

6 minutes ago, subrooz said:

PSU: Corsair TX850M 850W GOLD (UNDECIDED: Is 850W overkill for this build? I plan to also use external devices such as MIDI keyboards, etc for music production. Should I downgrade or just stay on the safe side for future proofing as well?)

850W is more for systems with multiple graphics cards. You will be fine with a 550W PSU, such as the Corsair TX550M.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Also what country are you in?

Australia, prices are insane here haha.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

What specifically?

If you're not OCing you could definitely save a bit of money with a cheaper x470 board. Also 3600 mhz ram generally is very expensive and not worth the extra money so 3200 mhz would probably be fine. You might also be able to grab a cheaper ssd like the sx8200, wd black 3d, or ex920. Psu is also pretty overkill; at most I would go 650w. With those savings you might be able to afford a 1080 ti.

well i'd say just all rounder workstation type things, stuff like music production, video and photo editing, coding programs, etc.

- I went for the Crosshair VII mainly because ppl mentioned that it runs well with Ryzen's XFR2 and precision boost, i was originally going to get the STRIX GAMING -F.

- I'll have a look at RAM, thanks.

- I'll also have a look at PSU, thanks.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

The stock cooler should be fine. If you're unsure, the best thing to do is go with the stock cooler that you get for free, and then if you later find it does not meet your needs then look at purchasing an after market cooler.

As long as you get RAM that is 3000Mhz or higher, you should be fine. 3600Mhz will likely cost a fair bit more than 3600MHz, so if there's a cost difference between the two, go with the cheaper 3200Mhz option.

What are you storing on it? If you need more storage later you can always add another HDD.

Personally I'd save $100 and go with the Meshify C, but the case is a personal choice based on the aesthetics - so go with what you will appreciate the most.

850W is more for systems with multiple graphics cards. You will be fine with a 550W PSU, such as the Corsair TX550M.

Think i'm going to give the stock cooler a shot, and I'll decide later like you said.

RAM is abit of a tricky one atm, I'm going to probably have a look at a few 3200Mhz sticks to save some $$$.

I've decided to stick with the 2TB for now.

Yeah this one is tough as well, I love the R6, but $100 on top of a very good case already (Meshify C) is just insane, but i'll probs come to a conclusion soon enough.

I've decided to do a retake on the PSU, thanks.

2 hours ago, Supportsneedlove said:

PSU is a little overkill, x edition CPUs aren't worth the money, I'd say get the 3200 Mhz kit, and maybe get a bigger harddrive if you feel like you need it down the line. 

thanks man, could you share abit of insight on why the X editions aren't worth the money?

2 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

HDD - Depends what you have to put in it!  What will you need it for?  I personally put Steam on an SSD for load times, f*ck HDD's.

PSU - 850w is excessive, yes but will last for years and years.  You don't need more than a 650 at the outside, but peace of mind is why a lot of people buy 2x the psu they need.  makes them feel good.

Things such as the OS, Digital Audio Workstation, programs I run daily, important files, and the main games I play, will be on my SSD.

So it'll probably just be regular programs/files, and normal games on my HDD.

Haha do you find a huge difference in loading times?

And yep, i've decided to downgrade on the PSU and have a look again, thanks! 

6 minutes ago, subrooz said:

Things such as the OS, Digital Audio Workstation, programs I run daily, important files, and the main games I play, will be on my SSD.

So it'll probably just be regular programs/files, and normal games on my HDD.

Haha do you find a huge difference in loading times?

And yep, i've decided to downgrade on the PSU and have a look again, thanks! 

Yes, in a nutshell for gaming.  Everquest zone loading is MUCH faster (yes, I am old) and Ark: Survival Evolved cut my time by 75% (3 1/2 minutes to get into game vs 15 minutes).  While getting into the game is much faster, really just a quality of life thing, since FPS isn't effected.  But why wait if you can afford not to?  

I think SSD's help with content creation as well like writing your files after rendering, etc?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

36 minutes ago, subrooz said:

thanks man, could you share abit of insight on why the X editions aren't worth the money?

It makes more sense to just OC the normal chips instead. It's a lot better value.

6 hours ago, subrooz said:

well i'd say just all rounder workstation type things, stuff like music production, video and photo editing, coding programs, etc.

2700x would probably be the best choice then, especially since 8700k is a lot more atm.

6 hours ago, subrooz said:

- I went for the Crosshair VII mainly because ppl mentioned that it runs well with Ryzen's XFR2 and precision boost, i was originally going to get the STRIX GAMING -F.

I'd say it's pretty unnecessary, the -F would be totally fine. It's more if you need the extra features of the crosshair but I'm guessing you probably don't.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb