First of all, I am new here and I know there is probably a better place to post this, but I didn't see it. 

So, I have an Asus Rog g750jw with

8gb ram

1tb hdd 5400rpm

4-core i7-4700

Nvidia 765m 2gb vram 

I have been living with it since I bought it in 2013 or 14 and it was never the best machine. The design was about a year old when I got it and my specific machine was used (bestbuy refurb, i was told a guy just brought it back cause his wife didn't like it). I thought it was slow compared to our family PC with Pentium and 6gb ram, but didn't return it. 

I just ended up buying an ssd last night to make into a boot drive as I have heard it will make it WAY faster. Also considering a ram upgrade to 16 or 24gb. (It has 2 4gb stocks with two more open slots and maxes out at 32gb)

What I need to know is, as a man who knows nothing about systens or anything like that, is it worth going to geek squad or staples to have this installed? Or is there somewhere that can tell me how to do it myself. 

Also, any ideas about whether I need more than 16gb of ram are welcome. I use the computer for gaming, but it is not my daily driver.

Do it yourself, basically every store will charge an absurd amount for a 5 minute job (depending on how fast it takes you to undo a few screws ;)).

I can give you a step-by-step guide if you need it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

Just plug in the SSD to a sata slot and make a windows 10 USB with microsoft's media creation tool, don't even need a key to install it.

Would be a waste of money to upgrade the RAM unless it's next to free.

If you want better hardware just pick up an R3 2200G sometime.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

Nvidia 765m 2gb vram 

it was never the best machine

Sounds about right

I use the computer for gaming,

Oh you poor thing

At least when you finally decide to upgrade to a desktop PC you can reuse the solid state drive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

38 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Sounds about right

Oh you poor thing

At least when you finally decide to upgrade to a desktop PC you can reuse the solid state drive.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it is a laptop. Oops. 

I was gonna get the ram for about $50 for 8gb on Amazon. 

So if I plug the ssd into the second hard drive bay, I can use media creator to make a USB. Does that just take the OS itself and copy it over, or does it take an image. 

I would prefer a clean install since I have never liked bloatware. (Who does)?

Tha k you for all your fast replies 

26 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

You get the ISO installed to a USB(or use Rufus with the ISO) and just have to hit the "I don't have a key" button when installing

Probably unplug your main drive so you don't accidentally erase it while installing windows.

an upgrade to a basic R3 2200G should run you about $250 for the APU/MOBO/RAM depending if you can reuse your current power supply. Probably just save up for that rather than trying to put more RAM into that thing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You get the ISO installed to a USB(or use Rufus with the ISO) and just have to hit the "I don't have a key" button when installing

Probably unplug your main drive so you don't accidentally erase it while installing windows.

an upgrade to a basic R3 2200G should run you about $250 for the APU/MOBO/RAM depending if you can reuse your current power supply. Probably just save up for that rather than trying to put more RAM into that thing.

Ok, thanks. Will the Ryzen work in a laptop? 

This is the only gaming computer I will own for quite a while, so saving up for a new one is pointless. 

Will I see any problems in having 2 4gb sticks in one set of ports and 2 8gb sticks in the other set? Or will it be better to have all 4 sticks be hynix 4gb? (It already has 2 4gb hynix sticks, so I dont need to buy that) 

20 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

=

Oh it's a laptop, whoops, more like $400 for a basic gaming desktop.

but really having more RAM isn't going to do too much for you.

Spoiler

For your laptop, an SSD will make it snappier and a much better experience overall. But you won't see any serious improvements in gaming performance. If you do want to have a better gaming experience, you need to buy a new laptop or you can build a desktop. There are a fair number of laptops that are not too expensive that can do many games on low 1080p.

Here is a budget desktop you could do (Windows and monitor included)

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

59 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

No.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

No.

Suggestion around same price?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

7 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

For your laptop, an SSD will make it snappier and a much better experience overall. But you won't see any serious improvements in gaming performance. If you do want to have a better gaming experience, you need to buy a new laptop or you can build a desktop. There are a fair number of laptops that are not too expensive that can do many games on low 1080p.

Here is a budget desktop you could do (Windows and monitor included)

Wow thanks. I really would like to see if this laptop can work in the mean time. I already have the ssd (240gb) and I could get ram if I need it for about $50 per 8gb stick. I understand that it will not be as much of a speed boost as the ssd, but I have heard it may help make up the difference between what games use and the abysmal 2gb vram I have.

My plan is, if I can get some use from this laptop I will spend a few bucks on it and then use the new parts in a new build a few years down the road. If you think it is a lost cause, then I will return the ssd and save for a desktop.  

If I cannibalize an OS from a current PC, will I run into licensing issues with both devices using the same license? 

28 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

will I run into licensing issues with both devices using the same license? 

I don't recommend using both of them at the same time. You might be able to lift the key from your laptop and put it on your desktop. I'm really not sure about the whole 'hardware registerd to Windows key' stuff.

43 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

I don't recommend using both of them at the same time. You might be able to lift the key from your laptop and put it on your desktop. I'm really not sure about the whole 'hardware registerd to Windows key' stuff.

Ok. Thanks. 

@LienusLateTips I have a PSU question: Why is that EVGA bad? and do you have a suggestion for a replacement at or around that price.

5 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

@LienusLateTips I have a PSU question: Why is that EVGA bad? and do you have a suggestion for a replacement at or around that price.

It's a DC-DC unit but it's quite shitty in terms of performance, and it's longevitity is questionable. A similar EVGA model blew up on a forum user a few days ago (and I mean exploded)

The CX750 is $5 more, same with the TX550M. But those two are much better, especially the TX.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

43 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

The CX750 is $5 more

@LienusLateTips

Can you link to a CX750 that is 5 dolla' more? I can only find around 100 USD.

Is a CX450M a good budget PSU?

What about the CX500 Builder?

So, looking at my laptop. i7, 8gb ram, 2gb nvidia card, etc

Will it play games, not on 4k, but on better than stupidly low? 

Is it worth ANY upgrades, or is there one or two that would make it work? Or is it totally trash?

Is it worth ANY upgrades?  I need to know so I can work on it tomorrow. My ssd return policy will expire and I only have tomorrow off to play with my computer  settings. 

thanks for all the info so far! I just want to know if I need to work on my computer so I dont miss the opportunity.  

5 hours ago, Sanderguy777 said:

-snip-

First off, let me say: I'm liking the lilac text. Very nice.

Secondly, If you want to play games on good settings, you will need to buy a new laptop or desktop (build one is my suggestion).

What SSD did you buy and how much? You might just be able to use that in your desktop build...

On 10/17/2018 at 11:15 PM, MandoPanda said:

@LienusLateTips

Can you link to a CX750 that is 5 dolla' more? I can only find around 100 USD.

Is a CX450M a good budget PSU?

What about the CX500 Builder?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RGCrxr/corsair-cx-2017-750w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020123-na

Yes.

No.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

8 hours ago, MandoPanda said:

First off, let me say: I'm liking the lilac text. Very nice.

Secondly, If you want to play games on good settings, you will need to buy a new laptop or desktop (build one is my suggestion).

What SSD did you buy and how much? You might just be able to use that in your desktop build...

Thank you for the advice. 

I got a Sandisk 240gb for $58 out the door at bestbuy. I was thinking of plugging it into my laptop as the boot drive and all that and just playing with it. 

As I've said, I dont know much about computers as far as building them and since I have a computer that is basically trash apparently,  why not learn from it?  

The other thought I had is if it doesn't play anything or the whole system dies, I could use the ssd, if not the ram (if I upgrade that and it's going into a ddr3 system), on a new build.

What do you think?

9 hours ago, Sanderguy777 said:

Thank you for the advice. 

I got a Sandisk 240gb for $58 out the door at bestbuy. I was thinking of plugging it into my laptop as the boot drive and all that and just playing with it. 

As I've said, I dont know much about computers as far as building them and since I have a computer that is basically trash apparently,  why not learn from it?  

The other thought I had is if it doesn't play anything or the whole system dies, I could use the ssd, if not the ram (if I upgrade that and it's going into a ddr3 system), on a new build.

What do you think?

The Sandisk, although cheap, it not the best quality. You can get an Evo for not much more that is cached drive so it is better quality and speed.

You can throw your SSD into your laptop but you would have to clone over your old drive (if both drives are the same size) if they are not the same size you can reinstall windows onto the SSD.

You can learn how to build a computer easily! Don't be afraid, there is lots of learning material on the internet and we hare here to help too. Start here.

Definitely practice on your other pc, you can learn how to install windows and such, you can use the SSD you have now if you want with that one just for fun and then use the SSD later elsewhere. 

I would not recommend using DDR3 for a new build, although it may seem like a cost saving technique, if you want to build a new rig on the cheap, let me know. There are a lot of good choices for light gaming with upgradability for around 450-500 or 600 USD.

Just got the OS installed on my new ssd. 

It is certainly not as fast as I would have hoped starting up from shut down, but I haven't run into any of the previous random slowdowns. 

Thinking about getting COD: BO3. The specs say it will work. But what do you guys think? 

Link to specs: https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-Minimum-System-Requirements