Need help with removing bios

Hello. 

So i am going to remove the BIOS chip from my laptop. This is something i have never done before and that's why i'm asking so i can be sure on what i do.

So in order to do this, is the only thing i need a heatgun (380 grader or something) and a pincett?

Do i need anything more?

And also could someone send me a link of were i can buy an heatgun because i dont know were to but one.

4 minutes ago, StamflyTV said:

Hello. 

So i am going to remove the BIOS chip from my laptop. This is something i have never done before and that's why i'm asking so i can be sure on what i do.

So in order to do this, is the only thing i need a heatgun (380 grader or something) and a pincett?

Do i need anything more?

And also could someone send me a link of were i can buy an heatgun because i dont know were to but one.

I would personally also add some kapton-tape to the shopping-list. As for where to buy one, eBay and Amazon are always good choices; I personally use A Yihua 898D+  https://www.ebay.com/itm/YIHUA-898D-Hot-Air-Gun-Digital-Soldering-Iron-2-in-1-Rework-Solder-Station/122162210612

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you don't even know where to buy a heatgun.....theres a good chance you could completely mess up your laptop if you accidentally desolder any other chips/resistors/etc...around it....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I would personally also add some kapton-tape to the shopping-list. As for where to buy one, eBay and Amazon are always good choices; I personally use A Yihua 898D+  https://www.ebay.com/itm/YIHUA-898D-Hot-Air-Gun-Digital-Soldering-Iron-2-in-1-Rework-Solder-Station/122162210612

Thank you for answering

1) Why kapton tape? 

2) The link u gave me, do i need the solder sation in order to remove bios? 

2 minutes ago, StamflyTV said:

1) Why kapton tape? 

2) The link u gave me, do i need the solder sation in order to remove bios? 

1) Because you use it to shield the components around the BIOS that you don't want to remove.

2) No, it was just an example. Yihua sells devices with both the soldering-iron and hot air gun, and devices with only one or the other, for example. Look for something similar.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

If you don't even know where to buy a heatgun.....theres a good chance you could completely mess up your laptop if you accidentally desolder any other chips/resistors/etc...around it....

Please dont answer if you are not seriously

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

1) Because you use it to shield the components around the BIOS that you don't want to remove.

2) No, it was just an example. Yihua sells devices with both the soldering-iron and hot air gun, and devices with only one or the other, for example. Look for something similar.

1) Are you 100% sure this hot air gun are strong enough to remove a bios?

2) Do i need any flux? Or can i do it without flux.

Just now, StamflyTV said:

1) Are you 100% sure this hot air gun are strong enough to remove a bios?

2) Do i need any flux? Or can i do it without flux.

Yes, I am, because I've done it myself. As for flux, no, you don't need flux just to remove a chip, though you may need it when soldering a new one.

1 minute ago, StamflyTV said:

Please dont answer if you are not seriously

I am completely serious....

You're asking where to buy a heat gun...

You're asking if you need a solder station....

like WereCatf also alluded too with his comment about the tape, you need to shield other components on the board, or you risk de-soldering them. components like resistors especially would be hard to get back into place if you accidentally de-solder them. 

does the bios chip have pins that go through the board or does it just connect to pads on the top? If it connects to pads then do you know how to re-ball it? do you know how to flux? 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, I am, because I've done it myself. As for flux, no, you don't need flux just to remove a chip, though you may need it when soldering a new one.

Oh ok thanks. Because i need to put the bios back again after i have flashed it. 

So when i put it back on, i dont need any solder station? I just put it there and use the heat gun?

3 minutes ago, StamflyTV said:

Oh ok thanks. Because i need to put the bios back again after i have flashed it. 

So when i put it back on, i dont need any solder station? I just put it there and use the heat gun?

Soldering a new one is a whole another beast; to do it properly, you'd use a soldering iron and some solder wick to first clean the pads on the mobo, then depending on whether you want to use a hot air gun or iron to solder the new chip in, you'd either 1) use leaded, non-clean solder paste on the pads and apply the hot air gun or 2) use some good, non-clean, rosin-core solder with the soldering iron and some flux.

Though, this all sounds to me like you don't know what you're doing and I very strongly recommend you buy some SMD-soldering training-kits on eBay or something first and practice with them.

14 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

does the bios chip have pins that go through the board or does it just connect to pads on the top? If it connects to pads then do you know how to re-ball it? do you know how to flux?

Re-balling applies to BGA-packages, not SOIC-8, which all the BIOS-chips I've seen in laptops have always been.

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Soldering a new one is a whole another beast; to do it properly, you'd use a soldering iron and some solder wick to first clean the pads on the mobo, then depending on whether you want to use a hot air gun or iron to solder the new chip in, you'd either 1) use leaded, non-clean solder paste on the pads and apply the hot air gun or 2) use some good, non-clean, rosin-core solder with the soldering iron and some flux.

Though, this all sounds to me like you don't know what you're doing and I very strongly recommend you buy some SMD-soldering training-kits on eBay or something first and practice with them.

Is there a video guide?