My single PC is better than your dual PC setup!

So I was very inspired by Linus's video where he built a "Server" but VM'ed a Streaming PC, and Gaming PC.

So I'm reaching out the community to see if there has been anymore discussion on the build, and how viable it is. 

Also would this build be better with the new Thread ripper for the sheer additional about of cores to allocate? Or is Intel really the only way to go?

Lastly I really think I want to make this my next build but would like to see you all think.

Thanks!

It's still cheaper to build a gaming pc + a streaming PC or just build something that can do both at once (without virtualization). NVENC will stream perfectly with some loss of picture quality, but it beats having to spend another grand on a streaming PC for a pure CPU rendered stream.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

It's still cheaper to build a gaming pc + a streaming PC or just build something that can do both at once (without virtualization). NVENC will stream perfectly with some loss of picture quality, but it beats having to spend another grand on a streaming PC for a pure CPU rendered stream.

Well price isn't my first concern, more about the viability. Also a raw single pc setup has it issues when trying to maximize you FPS in game. I like the VM tactic because it isolates the streaming system and gaming system. Lastly I do not have a lot of space atm, so a single tower is appealing to me. Plus the lower power consumption.

3 minutes ago, JeffreyB. said:

Well price isn't my first concern, more about the viability. Also a raw single pc setup has it issues when trying to maximize you FPS in game. I like the VM tactic because it isolates the streaming system and gaming system. Lastly I do not have a lot of space atm, so a single tower is appealing to me. Plus the lower power consumption.

But it won't have lower power consumption. An i7 gaming system + an i3 streaming system will consume less than a threadripper virtualized system that does both. 

The only benefits are that you only have one system that does it all and can be adjusted for other tasks as time goes on. If that's something that tickles your fancy, it could be viable. 

You'll need to understand how virtualization works and what you'll need software and hardware wise to pull it off, though. Such as an extra graphics card, and a capture card that need to be passed through for the streaming VM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just buy a dual case system and build two pcs to get the best of performance in both worlds, since money is no option why sacrifice top performance going one way. A case that is more vertical than width wise would be a good choice.

Thermatake Tower 900 Build
Intel® Core™ i7-7700K @5.3GHz -2AVX / ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX + EK-FB ASUS M9A Monoblock 
ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI 11Gb @2114MHz/5780Mhz / DIMM.2 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 x2 RAID 0
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 80+ PLATINUM / Hisense 65" H9 Plus 4k HDR

I don't think intel is the only way to go. I assume, so long as you have enough cores + smt you can get a good primary gaming + 2ndary excellent streaming vm. So, threadripper would work.

On the other end, I'd love to know how small could you go, and still have good gaming (60+ fps at v. high) and stable streaming 1080p 60fps 4500kbs and 720p 60fps 3500 kbps.

Current Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 5900X

CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 Pro

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470 Gaming-F

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB

Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan

Monitor: HP x34

LG 29UM69G      

Mouse: Razer Basilisk

Razer Naga Epic Chroma     

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma Stealth

Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH M50xBT Ltd Edition Purple

Speakers: Logitech Z200 2ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

But it won't have lower power consumption. An i7 gaming system + an i3 streaming system will consume less than a threadripper virtualized system that does both. 

The only benefits are that you only have one system that does it all and can be adjusted for other tasks as time goes on. If that's something that tickles your fancy, it could be viable. 

You'll need to understand how virtualization works and what you'll need software and hardware wise to pull it off, though. Such as an extra graphics card, and a capture card that need to be passed through for the streaming VM.

I'm starting to get the impression you have not seen the video Linus posted about this build. Also no worries on understanding how these thing work. Maybe watch the video and come back thanks.

7 minutes ago, Srishunbagasundaran said:

I don't think intel is the only way to go. I assume, so long as you have enough cores + smt you can get a good primary gaming + 2ndary excellent streaming vm. So, threadripper would work.

On the other end, I'd love to know how small could you go, and still have good gaming (60+ fps at v. high) and stable streaming 1080p 60fps 4500kbs and 720p 60fps 3500 kbps.

Thank you, I'm glad someone on the form want to theory craft with me. 

If you were to build this computer what would you put in it?

4 minutes ago, JeffreyB. said:

Thank you, I'm glad someone on the form want to theory craft with me. 

If you were to build this computer what would you put in it?

even If money was not an issue, I'd still be playing it safe, because the end goal is 60+fps at v. high and 60fps 720p/1080p

I'd try:

R7 2700x

4x8g 3000MHz (probably rgb, that makes the RAM better in all aspects)

2080ti for that ddr6

My hypothesis:

For achieving the good gaming + quality streaming goals, 4c + smt for gaming and for stable quality streaming at 60fps, 4 more cores + smt is more than capable.

I think 1080ti is more than enough, but the scenario is where money is not a barrier.

But I do think 32gb rram might be necessary for the streaming and vming side of things. i honestly don't know regarding this aspect.

Current Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 5900X

CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 Pro

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470 Gaming-F

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB

Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan

Monitor: HP x34

LG 29UM69G      

Mouse: Razer Basilisk