Broke my son's motherboard. Need to build new PC. Which CPU to go with GTX 1070?

Amin S

I went to Microcenter planning to get either an i5 8400 or an R5 2600.  The sales person thought they were comparable but that the AMD might prove to be a little more future proof, so I went with that.  I realize that not everyone would agree with him, but I will say that I like how AMD seems to sometimes let you change processor generations without a new motherboard.  None of my many Intel builds have allowed for that.

This is the system I built him tonight:

GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 5 AM4

AMD AMD RYZEN 5 2600 WRAITHS

SAMSUNG E 500GB 970EVO NVME M.2 SSD

MICROSOFT WIN HOME 10 32/64 USB RS

IPSG 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200 KIT

EVGA GQ 650W 80+G SM ATX PSU

I put that together with his existing GTX 1070 and an extra Fractal Design Define R6 case I had lying around.

This was my first AMD processor build, and it went very smoothly.  Not a hitch.  Most importantly, my son loves it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!  

22 minutes ago, Amin S said:

I went to Microcenter planning to get either an i5 8400 or an R5 2600.  The sales person thought they were comparable but that the AMD might prove to be a little more future proof, so I went with that.  I realize that not everyone would agree with him, but I will say that I like how AMD seems to sometimes let you change processor generations without a new motherboard.  None of my many Intel builds have allowed for that.

This is the system I built him tonight:

GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 5 AM4

AMD AMD RYZEN 5 2600 WRAITHS

SAMSUNG E 500GB 970EVO NVME M.2 SSD

MICROSOFT WIN HOME 10 32/64 USB RS

IPSG 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200 KIT

EVGA GQ 650W 80+G SM ATX PSU

I put that together with his existing GTX 1070 and an extra Fractal Design Define R6 case I had lying around.

This was my first AMD processor build, and it went very smoothly.  Not a hitch.  Most importantly, my son loves it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!  

Glad to help, as a lot of them help with my first pc build as well. 

It was also them, that inspired me to start my pc corner in my uncle's hardware shop. 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570)