9th gen Intel Meltdown and Spectre

Hi,

I Just sold my i7-8700K to buy the i9 9900K (don't need a lesson in price/performance, i just wanted the best and using the money i sold the i7 for made the i9 not that expensive), and i am wondering whether the same problems* experienced by the 8th gen still exist.

*meltdown & spectre etc

If i understand it correctly the bugs where an architectural flaw which could only be "fixed" (but more like "botched" leading to marginal performance decrease, especially in storage if i remember correctly) by updating BIOS and windows drivers.
Did they mange to fix the flaw before the 9th gen? Surely it makes sense for consumers to think so as a new product shouldnt have a flaw, but at the same time fixing a architectural flaw, implementing it and then get it through new testing phase, then getting it into production must take some time.

Do anyone know whether it is fixed, and if so do you have sources? I tried to search google with no luck, probably an answer out there but must be buried in "news and leaks" which mostly came up.

And one more thing, I had to update my bios to newest version (i have z370) to support 9th gen, is the bios patch applied regardless what CPU is installed (only relevant if 9th gen is fixed), I know this question is way more techinical and harder to find out, but I would be surprised if they managed to make 2 different versions to operate in the BIOS for different CPU generations, but maybe it's not that difficult, as said IDK.

Thanks in advance

There was a note down the bottom of one of the Intel announcement slides that mentjoned these exploits, I can’t remmebe what it said.

I would say no, its not fixed at the architecture level since its the same architecture as before, just a refined process. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Some of the spectre/meltdown exploits were fixed, but not all of them. They still get hit by Window's software patches

17 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Found it, some are software some are hardware fixes Intel-9th-Gen-Core-Coffee-Lake-Z390-CPUs

thanks, response couldn't been better :)

So looks in terms of hardware changes (only patch i will accept, don't consider microcode and software to be fixes, but rather botches, as "good" hardware doesnt need software/microcode to "fix" it. 

Spectre V2 = NOT FIXED
Meltdown V3 = FIXED

Meltdown V3A = NOT FIXED
"V4" = NOT FIXED

"L1/LT" (cant see what it says) = FIXED

image.png.15d36fac3b4ec838a5de7c9d176fdbef.png

:) 

• 10 months later...

I just bought an i9-9900K, in gaming performance am I screwed?